Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

That One Save...

7 hours ago, EastAnglianFox said:

Kevin Poole home to Stoke first leg of the play offs at Filbo, was in the double decker and to this day still no idea how he got across and kept that out

So glad this got mentioned. Essentially a carbon copy of THE Gordon Banks save v Pele. 

He actually pulled off a great save in the play off final too just after half time from that (very good)  winger of palace whose.name.escapes me 

But the Stoke save was the best I've ever seen..

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

So glad this got mentioned. Essentially a carbon copy of THE Gordon Banks save v Pele. 

He actually pulled off a great save in the play off final too just after half time from that (very good)  winger of palace whose.name.escapes me 

Likewise best I’ve ever seen, especially given his size.

Yes he did in the final, I think it was Ndah who was the tricky winger

• Like 1

Schmeichel's saves vs Copenhagen. I think there was a brilliant one at home, but was bettered by an absolute world class one in the last minute away to rescue a 0-0 draw. 

Those were the difference between topping that group and qualifying with a game to spare and likely not making it through. 

(can't find decent videos, so might just be my memory!) 

Edited by Golden Fox
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Golden Fox said:

Schmeichel's saves vs Copenhagen. I think there was a brilliant one at home, but was bettered by an absolute world class one in the last minute away to rescue a 0-0 draw. 

Those were the difference between topping that group and qualifying with a game to spare and likely not making it through. 

(can't find decent videos, so might just be my memory!) 

Nah you're right, it was very low down to his right I believe. And it was revealed a few days after (or later that season?) that he had a broken bone in his hand or wrist and was playing through the pain. 

40 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

I vaguely remember that they likened it to Banks on the ITV coverage, especially as he'd played for both clubs.

17 minutes ago, Lesta2014 said:

Fa cup final one easy winner for me.

kasper also pulled off a worldie in the 2-1 at Arsenal in 15/16 if I remember rightly? 

Yeah true. Very close range, from Giroud I think. Even Giroud couldn't believe it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paninistickers said:

45 minutes ago, EastAnglianFox said:

Likewise best I’ve ever seen, especially given his size.

Yes he did in the final, I think it was Ndah who was the tricky winger

Just ignore my earlier post then 😪

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Rain King said:

Poole against Bruce Dyer in the Palace Play-Off Final always sticks out.

Not seen it for a long time so may be blue tinted glasses but always loved it as a kid.

Loved Poole.

Edit: around 5:08 on here

Beat me to it, that save plus Keller’s have always stuck in my mind. 

TBF, there have been many brilliant saves, but crucial one’s stick in the memory. Poole, Keller, Kasper at Wembley. 

But the save Kasper made against Spurs from Kane on 13th January 2016, when he knocked the ball into the ground and up on to the bar won us the league I reckon. Think this one would get my vote. 

I remember the day well because I had a serious chest issue after Huth scored, but refused any help until after the game, unless I lost consciousness. Told everyone around me to keep cheering for the last 10 minutes! 

We’ve had many great keepers. Although I’ve been supporting since 62/63, one of my favourites was Mark Wallington. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, James_lcfc said:

Youth team players going AWOL, and now the great Kevin Pressman is getting accused of match fixing lol

What a day.

Eh?! What have I missed?

42 minutes ago, BoyJones said:

But the save Kasper made against Spurs from Kane on 13th January 2016, when he knocked the ball into the ground and up on to the bar won us the league I reckon. Think this one would get my vote

Very harsh on Eden Hazard :ph34r:

Of course the FA Final from Kasper but if I’m ever asked about saves I always seem to remember ones against us for some reason.

Kasper again, I’m sure was on loan at Cardiff? The season we were relegated from the Championship and it wasn’t one in particular but he made about 10 top drawer saves and we somehow drew 0-0. For this game alone I was over the moon when we signed him.

Another in terms of top drawer save was away at West Brom and I was in the WBA end and Steve Howard had a bullet that was destined for the top corner and to this day I have no idea how Dean Kiely saved it. 

Agreed the Kevin Poole save against Stoke but honourable  mention to Tim Flowers against Aston Villa away in the league Cup semi final first leg.

Merson chests it down and volleys from 8 yards out at the Holte End. Somehow, Flowers sticks an arm out and blocks it. 

Game ends 0-0 and Elliott wins in back at FS.

Edited by Edwam1972
  • Like 1

Tim Flowers made some outrageous saves during the 99-00 season. Playing through the pain barrier most of the time as his hips were shot. Arsenal FA cup and Villa in the semi final of the league cup at their place especially. A great free transfer. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Vlad the Fox said:

Kasper v west ham at the London stadium, pretty much point blank, carol (I think) through on goal and Kasper batted it away. 

Kasper was pulling these saves off week after week, he was as big a part of our success as Vardys goals. The fa cup ones are massive match winning saves. Certainly in the conversation for greatest City keeper. 

I was thinking of this one too, need to find the clip. Pretty sure he made 2 or 3 others in that game before that one as well.

• Like 1