Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

ForFoxSake - The Post Match Analysis Thread

On 25/08/2024 at 00:59, StriderHiryu said:

Fulham 2 - 1 Leicester City Post Match Analysis

The video above does the best job of explaining my breakdown of the match today. However, as YouTube doesn't allow me to show video clips, I am using GIFs in this thread to make it a bit clearer.

uRE5Rrs.png

I felt that today's game was won and lost by a tactical decision by Marco Silva. He played 4231 against Man United, but pushed Andres Pereira up to almost make a 4141 at times against us.

uiQ5iWY.png

^ This was done to set a pressing trap against Ndidi. Here we see two men nearby Winks, making it hard to use him to build with. Fulham are deliberately making it look like Ndidi is a safe passing option, because they plan to press him when the ball is played to him.

giphy.webp

^ And here is an example of that. This would be a difficult ball for anyone to deal with, but in this case, even Fulham's CDM knows that Ndidi is the trigger to press to win the ball back.

giphy.webp

^ Another example of Fulham luring Ndidi into a pressing trap. However, despite initially giving the ball away with a bad pass, after being helped out by Reid, he makes a great pass out to Fatawu that leads to a decent opportunity and move for Reid.

Rt3oVGN.png

^ Speaking of Bobby Reid, he didn't have the best game, losing possesion 5 times overall.

giphy.webp

^ He may have been offside here, but is rather disapointing in terms of his output in the final third. Given that he is starting ahead of Mavididi, you have to question why.

giphy.webp

^ Smith Rowe's goal. This is a bit unfortunate as it's a moment of transition. Neither Winks, Justin nor Fatawu cover themselves in glory here, and Vestergaard again shows that he isn't decisive enough in aerial battles for a player with his height.

giphy.webp

^ One positive this season is that we look better both offensively and defensively from set pieces. Andrew Hughers, is doing a good job! Whilst this corner looks simple, Buonanotte finds his target (a big improvement for Leicester!) and Vardy cleverly blocks Leno to stop him coming out to punch it. Teams near the bottom give themselves a good chance to survive if they are good at set pieces!

giphy.webp

^ Vintage Vardy might have been away at the races with a ball over the top to him like this. But understandably a 37 year old is not going to be as quick as someone in their physical prime.

giphy.webp

^ Vardy's lack of match fitness resulted in him making some sub-optimal decisions with poor execution. He initally does well to keep the move alive, but I feel on another day he finds Fatawu to create a scoring opportunity. I might be being a bit harsh here though.

giphy.webp

^ James Justin makes a suicidal "jump" from his RCB position to try and close Robinson, leaving acres of space behind him for Iwobi to explit, as Marco Silva's triangles pay off. Vestergaard's lack of pace, Winks not being goalside and JJ being too ken result in a disapointing goal to concede, and another example of getting caught out on transition in the Premier League.

giphy.webp

^ Could Oliver Skipp help us improve our building out from the back by playing alongside Harry Winks? I think he could help. He showed some nice turns, touches and passes under pressure.

Overall Thoughts

• Teams continue to target Ndidi in build-up, which prevents us from getting going.
    • Ndidi wins a lot of duels though, so probably should be in the team in some capacity.

• I think it's likely Skipp will start next to Winks to resolve this in the next Premier League game.

• Vardy is not match fit, and a lack of a striker will cost us if we can't bring one in.

• Bobby Reid shouldn’t be starting based off his first two appearances.

• We haven’t looked awful so far, but the gulf in class / quality between Championship and Premier League has never been so big.

Love this. Keep them coming. 

I enjoyed the post game analysis video, thought it was very helpful. I missed the game entirely, so being able to get an in depth idea to how things played out was interesting, especially as the highlights and analysis on Match of the Day etc tend to be so minimal, and most of the pro media stuff tends to spend the bulk of its time slurping the big 6 and ignoring everything else.

For me Justin and Faes make too many positional mistakes, they are often to aggressive jumping out of position to press.

You can get away with it in the championship, but as Saturday showed against better players you get cut to pieces. 

• Like 2