Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
kushiro

The Greatest Stories Ever Told

Posted (edited)

You could make a list of 'Leicester City books that should have been written' - by all those legends of the club who never thought it worth writing their story down on paper:

Jimmy Blooomfield

Matt Gillies

Johnny Duncan

Peter Hodge

Arthur Chandler

Sep Smith

Len Shipman 

Graham Cross

So sad that none of them ever published an autobiography.

Crossy's still with us. Here's hoping...

Edited by kushiro
  • Like 1

I haven't read all of these but of those I have, Fearless is the best by a mile.  Crest of a Wave was dreadful - appallingly written drivel.  I remember getting it for Christmas and being excited to read it, but it took about an hour and a half and I was so disappointed. 

Of Fossils and Foxes stands apart as it's a different sort of book, but all versions are brilliant, though I said in the questionnaire for the second that my favourite game was the 4-0 win at Derby and it appeared in the book as the play-off final win over them instead.  There have been a fair few games since that I'd choose instead mind you!

Still have Littles book somewhere.

Tainted his legacy the way he left but at the same time, started the ball rolling where I'm concerned towards the modern era of LCFC.

Three  Wembley play off finals on a shoestring and our first ever win at Wembley at the seventh attempt.

Posted (edited)

Let's leave Leicester aside. How about the best general football books?

I'm so glad I haven't added up my total expenditure over the years as it might be more than Chelsea's transfer budget. 

Here's the best ten:

10)  Journey To Wembley     Brian James

9)  The Far Corner   Harry Pearson

8)  The Ball Is Round   David Goldblatt

7)  Only A Game?    Eamon Dunphy

6)  Villa Park 100 Years    Simon Inglis

5) All Played Out     Pete Davies

4)  Hillsborough: The Truth    Phil Scraton

3)  League Football And The Men Who Made It   Simon Inglis

2)  Battle For The Valley    Rick Everitt   

1)  My Father And Other Working Class Football Heroes    Gary Imlach

top-ten.png

Two in there by Simon Inglis, and it could easily have been more. It might have been like those 'Best Ever Albums' lists where the top ten is mostly Beatles records.  Actually, if there was a fire, I think I'd grab the Inglis books before the Beatles CDs.  

One that most people won't be familiar with is Rick Everitt's Battle For The Valley - a truly inspiring story of what fans can do if they get together and organise creatively. 

In the end, if you combine the Leicester and general lists, Of Fossils and Foxes would still have to be the overall winner.

Edited by kushiro
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, kushiro said:

Let's leave Leicester aside. How about the best general football books?

I'm so glad I haven't added up my total expenditure over the years as it might be more than Chelsea's transfer budget. 

Here's the best ten:

10)  Journey To Wembley     Brian James

9)  The Far Corner   Harry Pearson

8)  The Ball Is Round   David Goldblatt

7)  Only A Game?    Eamon Dunphy

6)  The History of Villa Park   Simon Inglis

5) All Played Out     Pete Davies

4)  Hillsborough: The Truth    Phil Scraton

3)  League Football And The Men Who Made It   Simon Inglis

2)  Battle For The Valley    Rick Everitt   

1)  My Father And Other Working Class Football Heroes    Gary Imlach

top-ten.png

Two in there by Simon Inglis, and it could easily have been more. It might have been like those 'Best Ever Albums' lists where the top ten is mostly Beatles records.  Actually, if there was a fire, I think I'd grab the Inglis books before the Beatles CDs.  

One that most people won't be familiar with is Rick Everitt's Battle For The Valley - a truly inspiring story of what fans can do if they get together and organise creatively. 

In the end, if you combine the Leicester and general lists, Of Fossils and Foxes would still have to be the overall winner.

I used read loads of random football

books, but it home recently how out of the habit I am. On your list I’ve only read the Eamon Dunphy one, which was great 

Two of personal favourites 

IMG_0757.jpeg

IMG_0758.jpeg

• Like 2

And to round off this thread, a tribute to the man whose first ever game was Aston Villa 8 Leicester City 3 in 1962. 

The Simon Inglis Top Ten:

10)  Played in Birmingham

9)  Sightlines

8)  Played in Manchester

7)  Football in the Dock

6) The Football Grounds of Britain

5) The Football Grounds of Europe

4) Engineering Archie - Arhcibald Leitch, Football Ground Designer

3)  Villa Park 100 Years

2)  League Footbal and the Men Who Made It

1)  Played in London - Charting The Heritage of a City At Play

Played in London is a truly astonishing piece of work. If you're heading for Craven Cottage today, here's just one page from the book:

ful-1.png

ful-2.png

ful-3.png

Fearless is the best so far but still waiting for a book to do justice to 2015/16. I want a coffee table tome in a dairy style, a type of on this day, with photos, match reports, league table, quotes from the press, opposition, fans, Ranieri, to capture the feel and atmosphere of how the season unfolded. The sort of book that can be picked up and flicked through as a reminder and a talking point when your wife invites her friend around with her Spurs supporting husband! There's a gap in the market for this.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Based on this thread I went and bought the Barrie Pierpoint book and the O'Neill, Crest of a Wave book.

I've just finished the Pierpoint one and I have to say quite how disappointed I was with it, to be honest. I won't go into the detail that I could but I found it really lacking.

Don't get me wrong, there's a decent level of inside detail in there, stuff I never knew and was really interested to find out, but the writing isn't fantastic, the quotes from fans seem completely pointless, the book wanders off at times and at the crunch moment, the bit we've all been waiting for, Pierpoint only scratches the surface.

He does preface this that he doesn't want to seem bitter, doesn't want to use the book as a revenge misson, that's fine, but there's so much more he could've gone into. Instead it's very much "I was right" and lots of people saying how amazing Barrie was.

It's a real shame, because the stuff about the Carling Stand is super, but it races through so many parts of our history. Don't regret buying it, though, despite me negging on it.

Edited by Footballwipe