Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
AKCJ

Player Name Pronunciations

Stuff like this really annoys me, we’re the only country in the world (from my experience) that go out of their way to pronounce names ‘properly’ rather than just settle for our anglicised name,  don’t know why it’s developed either, summarisers pronouncing fernandes ‘fernandsh’ really gets to me and Jesus ‘heyzeus’. It comes across as really disingenuous and tacky to me, I recently went to Spain and my mate had his name pronounced ‘wrong’ all holiday when getting stuff from the hotel bar but nobody cared because why would they?

Proper first world problem and probably sound like Brexits poster boy but needed to get it off my chest 😂😂😂

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, It'sblueupnorth said:

Stuff like this really annoys me, we’re the only country in the world (from my experience) that go out of their way to pronounce names ‘properly’ rather than just settle for our anglicised name,  don’t know why it’s developed either, summarisers pronouncing fernandes ‘fernandsh’ really gets to me and Jesus ‘heyzeus’. It comes across as really disingenuous and tacky to me, I recently went to Spain and my mate had his name pronounced ‘wrong’ all holiday when getting stuff from the hotel bar but nobody cared because why would they?

Proper first world problem and probably sound like Brexits poster boy but needed to get it off my chest 😂😂😂

I'm truly blessed with the ability to mangle almost all names / pronunciation / languages etc but theres no excuse for not trying :)

god loves a tryer

29 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Disingenuous to say someone's name correctly? 

Isn't it disingenuous to say it incorrectly lol

It's just respectful, isn't it? Can't just have it our way just because it's English. England's way isn't always the best :dunno:

But that’s entirely my point, from my experience from wherever I’ve been around around the world, nobody goes out of their way to pronounce names in the English anglicised way. 
I think it irks me so much because it’s just like going up to someone and mimicking their accent.

If an Englishman, Frenchman and a Spaniard all called Joel, only the English would go out of their way to pronounce the others ‘properly’

Edited by It'sblueupnorth

3 hours ago, rugbyblue said:

David pleat when he used to commentate for itv used to pronounce Julian Joachim's name as jo-ay-kim.

I always did think he was a c0ck! 

Obviously paid attention during religious education