Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
AKCJ

Player Name Pronunciations

4 minutes ago, themightyfin said:

Erm...don't want you to feel daft but it is..

Jo-Ay-Kim.

I stand corrected.....for the third time 😂

Anyone else want to tell me how wrong I was? Fire away 😂

Still think pleats a c0ck though

13 hours ago, It'sblueupnorth said:

Stuff like this really annoys me, we’re the only country in the world (from my experience) that go out of their way to pronounce names ‘properly’ rather than just settle for our anglicised name,  don’t know why it’s developed either, summarisers pronouncing fernandes ‘fernandsh’ really gets to me and Jesus ‘heyzeus’. It comes across as really disingenuous and tacky to me, I recently went to Spain and my mate had his name pronounced ‘wrong’ all holiday when getting stuff from the hotel bar but nobody cared because why would they?

Proper first world problem and probably sound like Brexits poster boy but needed to get it off my chest 😂😂😂

It does sound like Brexit's poster boy. It's just the very basics of respect to and use someone's name correctly.

Does my head in when paid commentators and pundits have so little respect that they continue to blindly mispronounce names even when everyone else in the ****ing studio get it right. De Gea and Gundogan being the two most obvious examples of this.

Everyone else: Gundowan

Merse: GUNDO-GAN

• Like 4

14 hours ago, It'sblueupnorth said:

Not as odd as English blokes pronouncing Simon as ‘Seemon’ 

It's really not.

At a personal level, it is a sign of basic decency and respect to make an effort pronouncing someone's name. It's not difficult.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ChrisFilter said:

It does sound like Brexit's poster boy. It's just the very basics of respect to and use someone's name correctly.

Does my head in when paid commentators and pundits have so little respect that they continue to blindly mispronounce names even when everyone else in the ****ing studio get it right. De Gea and Gundogan being the two most obvious examples of this.

Everyone else: Gundowan

Merse: GUNDO-GAN

Robbie Savage: INNY-ACHO

18 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

I'm still annoyed about commentators' pronunciation of Kåmark

According to the man himself when i asked him after a game back when he played for us... "Pont-ee-us Koo-Mark"

51 minutes ago, ajthefox said:

It's really not.

At a personal level, it is a sign of basic decency and respect to make an effort pronouncing someone's name. It's not difficult.

It really is, it has nothing to do with respect hence why no other country bothers with it. Do you think anybody feels disrespected when called the localised version of their first name? 

7 minutes ago, Danno said:

Because Manuel not pronouncing your name correctly on your week all inclusive to Benidorm is the same as a household name playing every week broadcast live to billions of people 😂

See this is why it’s such a non issue with me and why you can’t take anybody seriously who agrees with it because of bollocks like this comment. 

Why would it not be the same? Do I or others not deserve the same respect as a player with a common first name just because they’re on tv? Surely if im paying manuels wages for a week they could have the common courtesy to learn the pronunciation of my name? Or is it that again it’s just a non issue and nobody cares that their name is pronounced in the localised way

5 minutes ago, It'sblueupnorth said:

See this is why it’s such a non issue with me and why you can’t take anybody seriously who agrees with it because of bollocks like this comment. 

Why would it not be the same? Do I or others not deserve the same respect as a player with a common first name just because they’re on tv? Surely if im paying manuels wages for a week they could have the common courtesy to learn the pronunciation of my name? Or is it that again it’s just a non issue and nobody cares that their name is pronounced in the localised way

What a bizarre take on things.

• Like 2