Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Bilal El Khannouss - officially joined

With the older players, their current performance levels also have something to do with the negativity. Ayew looked decent against Fulham and scored a banger against Tranmere. All of a sudden he's not looking too bad at all and a useful squad addition.

De Cordova-Reid has been starting ahead of Mavididi and looked poor both in pre-season and in real games. Perhaps he will still come good, but he's not got off to a good start. Fans are more patient with younger players, older ones are expected to hit the ground running. 

• Like 2

Much happier with this sort of upwardly mobile signing. He's the sort even when we go down he's expensive enough he'll have to stay.

Seems like he works hard for a flair player too.

Edited by Stadt

30 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Any updates on the flight? What's his preferred snack? Has he left Belgium yet? 

I know this has been said before, but I don't half miss Liam at times like this.

• Like 3
  • Sad 6

8 minutes ago, Kevin Russell said:

I was just trying to give a balanced view on all the signings, from what I’ve seen of Okoli and looking at his stats etc I’m not seeing much. I really hope I’m wrong and he turns out to be a good signing. Golding I was hoping we’d have a player deemed good enough to make the bench in the first round of the Carabo Cup, so I’m a little bit disappointed, but who knows he might turn out to be a gem.

Maybe he was injured? Maybe not up to fitness yet. Why don't we wait a fair amount of time after seeing player in action for a decent amount of time before we make pronouncements. 

16 minutes ago, MGLCFC said:

Ayew and BDCR - is hardly stockpiling. He's also added Fatawu, Skipp, Golding, Okoli, and the lad from Brighton on loan all under 23. Added to this the likely signing of  Bilal El Khannous at 20, I'd suggest the policy is more weighted towards youth?

Maybe I exaggerated but he can hardly be credited with the signing of Fatawu and he has been open about wanting "experienced PL players", which worries me. The Josh Brownhill link yesterday is a good example of exactly the kind of signing we shouldn't be making but I'm concerned we'll see some last minute panic buys along those lines. Very much hope I'm wrong, though. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MGLCFC said:

Think you're splitting hairs here - Perhaps I should have said 23 or under, hardly geriatrics. Whether you agree or not 75% of the signings this Summer are 23 or under (if you included BEK) - fact.

I was definitely splitting hairs - Apologies! :D

I'm not particularly enamoured by our transfer business, but the age profiles seem appropriate.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

That's fair on new incomings but we did give new contracts to Vardy (37) and Vestergaard (32) too.

Neither of which had anything to do with Cooper. Anyway, in Vardy's case it was a no-brainer - he'll score goals for us this season. Vestergaard was offered a contract when we thought Maresca was staying and may not have been otherwise, but I think he'll still be of use given that we're likely to be defending deep in a lot of games this season.

27 minutes ago, Kevin Russell said:

This is a really promising signing, we’ve seen these kind of signings be brilliant and some that haven’t worked out, but overall I’m happy with this. We have a lot to be unhappy about at the moment, but it’s good to enjoy positive news like this.

Unpopular opinion, but it’s actually not been a bad window overall. I think Ayew is better than I thought, Skipp is clearly a decent addition, the lad from Brighton looks class. Okoli and Golding don’t look to be much use, but otherwise we’ve added to the squad well. Get a bit of money in for canon and get a couple more out on loan and it will be a pretty good effort (obviously u can’t fully judge a window until you see how the players perform over the season).

Agreed it's the kind of signing that may not work, you can never really predict how players will take to the premier league with 100% accuracy. But these are the kind of signings that fit a positive recruitment strategy to get us back to where we were.

It looks to me like we have tried to find a balance between Cooper getting experienced players and Glover signings (I'm assuming this and then whoever the new number 9 is will be glover signings)

The finances of Ayew deal are still gross, but that aside as a player he will be useful, the worry was what if he is our last signing etc. Or we bought 2 more premier league meh signings for more than they are worth. We can only review the window at the end....find a decent number 9 on top of this and I think its about as good as we could of hoped for.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Babylon said:

If we signed some decent players and then went on to stay up, I think I'd struggle to stop laughing. 

Where would we be without the self appointed foxestalk armchair transfer gurus and their hot takes on everything

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I think we position ourselves to these players as "come here, develop and you'll get your big move in time"

It's no bad thing, shame we aren't a proposition to stick around with but we simply haven't got the means to compete.

At his age/stage in progress we are a sound option

Just now, StanSP said:

I know mate. I was just jesting. 

Oh, I know.

But I used to love how he'd track the flights. Proper in-running stuff. What a guy. 

• Like 1

Had a more thorough look at him last night, I’ll post some more detailed clips when I actually see him holding a Leicester shirt...

My main takeaway though is the position he might end up playing. I think we all have visions of him playing as a natural 10 behind the striker, but with the way El Khannouss operates, he’ll give us far more versatility than that imo. 

As I touched on in a previous post in this thread, he likes to operate in wide areas, so I could easily see him start in the position that Reid and Mavididi have been playing, with that ability to drift inside if needs be. 

He also likes to pick the ball up in deep areas, much like you expect from a deep-lying playmaker, he loves to ping balls over the top for wingers and strikers to run onto. I can see the likes of Fatawu and Mavididi thriving off some of his passes, while I must say, a striker who can hold the ball up but also has pace, would be a welcome addition in the next two days :thumbup:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Next couple of days - I bloody hopes it's next couple of hours. Window closes in a couple of days and I'm hoping for at least one more signing and perhaps a loan too.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

This just sums rudders up. Most clubs would have him picked up, contract in place to sign, legal stuff sorted, medical, pic with shirt, interview all in place for this afternoon. 

No doubt we will be scratching our heads wondering if signed in time for Saturday. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Hack said:

Maybe he was injured? Maybe not up to fitness yet. Why don't we wait a fair amount of time after seeing player in action for a decent amount of time before we make pronouncements. 

Well he has been playing full games for the U21s so I based it on him not being deemed ready. Like I say I’m not writing him off at all. I was actually trying to post something positive but balanced about the window overall.

Guest Chocolate Teapot
2 minutes ago, alanf0x said:

This just sums rudders up. Most clubs would have him picked up, contract in place to sign, legal stuff sorted, medical, pic with shirt, interview all in place for this afternoon. 

No doubt we will be scratching our heads wondering if signed in time for Saturday. 

Think it sums Tanner up too. About 5 days late and no insight. Mad anyone would pay for the athletic for that level of insight.

Just now, Chocolate Teapot said:

Think it sums Tanner up too. About 5 days late and no insight. Mad anyone would pay for the athletic for that level of insight.

It could easily be a Fab tweet

35 minutes ago, Iwebema said:

Agreed it's the kind of signing that may not work, you can never really predict how players will take to the premier league with 100% accuracy. But these are the kind of signings that fit a positive recruitment strategy to get us back to where we were.

It looks to me like we have tried to find a balance between Cooper getting experienced players and Glover signings (I'm assuming this and then whoever the new number 9 is will be glover signings)

The finances of Ayew deal are still gross, but that aside as a player he will be useful, the worry was what if he is our last signing etc. Or we bought 2 more premier league meh signings for more than they are worth. We can only review the window at the end....find a decent number 9 on top of this and I think its about as good as we could of hoped for.

I completely agree that our only chance of getting back to where we were is to make astute signings of plays with a ‘high ceiling’ let’s hope he works out. He looks to have serious ability, the test will be how he adapts to the intensity of our top flight. 

3 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

The new lad could be scoring a hat trick at the KP this weekend and Tanner would still being saying the deal should be done in a few days. 

Even is he signs today, I'll doubt he'll be available for the weekend due to international clearance - could be touch and go. Perhaps there is no intention for his debut at the weekend and to give him the international break to settle in?

Edited by MGLCFC
  • Like 1