Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

Your Top 5 Albums

3 minutes ago, onekeithweller said:

Love GSYBE so I’ll give your other selections an ear, thanks 

Oh the rest are very very different I'm afraid. 

But @Mark will be pleased to find another post rock fan and will have a hundred recommendations for you. In fact his top five albums probably will all be post rock haha. 

• Like 2

Like @bovril said earlier, would very much depend on the day.

Surfer Rosa - Pixies

Screamadelica - Primal Scream

Pet Sounds - The Beach Boys

Harvest - Neil Young

The Soft Bulletin - The Flaming Lips

But I had a real hard time picking those five. I thought of numerous albums by The Cure, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Spiritualized, Radiohead, Portishead, Grandaddy, Mercury Rev, Public Enemy, De La Soul, Fontaines DC, Alt-J, Public Service Broadcasting, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, The Hives, New Order ... the list goes on plus more albums by the artists of the top 5

• Like 4

Again....could post a different top 5 on a different day, but these 5 are certainly some of my faves:

OK Computer - Radiohead
Abbey Road - The Beatles
The Velvet Underground & Nico - The Velvet Underground
London Calling - The Clash
The Queen is Dead - The Smiths

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Dr Marco said:

The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds

The Libertines - Up The Bracket

Oasis - Definetely Maybe

Blur - Modern Life Is Rubbish

Mark Knopfler - Golden Heart

Noted that Richard Bennett played on both the Neil Diamond album I listed and your Mark Knopfler choice

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Libertine said:

It's a genuinely great album. 

6 hours ago, Finnegan said:

I was a massive Datsuns fan when I was in sixth form. I hated The Darkness with a passion for taking a slightly similar niche but then just camping the glam up to a thousand and being absolutely everywhere whilst nobody had really even heard of the Datsuns lol

I mean I remember The Datsuns releasing records but I had almost no sense of what they were about even then. 

4 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

I've never been able to work out if The Darkness were a parody band or not.

When I say I like the Darkness the most common reaction I get is surprise that they're still going. I saw them in July play to a crowd of a few thousand and their albums generally get into the top 20, but if you're not a fan they're very easily missed. 

I think the best way to understand The Darkness is to treat them as being a celebration of rock music with a pretty unashamed remit to entertain above all else. They are fantastically talented musicians and songwriters and are basically churning out pretty accessible pop/rock frequently "borrowing" styles from other rock acts which they're good enough to pull off without it just seeming like a piss poor copy. I'm never going to sit through a Whitesnake or Motorhead album but I like them enough to cheerily listen to good songs that sound a bit like them, and there's not much chance of new music from them or Led Zeppelin, Thin Lizzy or whoever.

It's all done with a confidence and ease that lets it be fun, which is probably what made them get up the nose of a lot of other bands and 'serious' rock fans. It's not a joke but why can't it be a laugh? I think it's better to be intentionally amusing than unwittingly triggering mirth when the same old bores proclaim their latest long player a ground breaking triumph when it's the same old meat and potatoes, sometimes with a few samples on.

If anyone gets the chance to see them live I think of all the dozens of acts I've seen over the years I'm pretty sure that a neutral would have a better chance of enjoying themselves than with anybody else, to be honest.

I actually had most of that written in my head from when I started the "Why I Love..." thread in the music forum, attracting effectively zero contributions from any of you buggers. It might have helped if I hadn't started it with my thoughts on Gorky's Zygotic Mynci but you know, benefit of hindsight and all that

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I mean I remember The Datsuns releasing records but I had almost no sense of what they were about even then. 

When I say I like the Darkness the most common reaction I get is surprise that they're still going. I saw them in July play to a crowd of a few thousand and their albums generally get into the top 20, but if you're not a fan they're very easily missed. 

I think the best way to understand The Darkness is to treat them as being a celebration of rock music with a pretty unashamed remit to entertain above all else. They are fantastically talented musicians and songwriters and are basically churning out pretty accessible pop/rock frequently "borrowing" styles from other rock acts which they're good enough to pull off without it just seeming like a piss poor copy. I'm never going to sit through a Whitesnake or Motorhead album but I like them enough to cheerily listen to good songs that sound a bit like them, and there's not much chance of new music from them or Led Zeppelin, Thin Lizzy or whoever.

It's all done with a confidence and ease that lets it be fun, which is probably what made them get up the nose of a lot of other bands and 'serious' rock fans. It's not a joke but why can't it be a laugh? I think it's better to be intentionally amusing than unwittingly triggering mirth when the same old bores proclaim their latest long player a ground breaking triumph when it's the same old meat and potatoes, sometimes with a few samples on.

If anyone gets the chance to see them live I think of all the dozens of acts I've seen over the years I'm pretty sure that a neutral would have a better chance of enjoying themselves than with anybody else, to be honest.

I actually had most of that written in my head from when I started the "Why I Love..." thread in the music forum, attracting effectively zero contributions from any of you buggers. It might have helped if I hadn't started it with my thoughts on Gorky's Zygotic Mynci but you know, benefit of hindsight and all that

Some people get a bit sniffy if heaven forbid a rock band should be  showbiz as well.

• Like 1

Today's Top 12, because fvck top fives and fvck forever

• UK Subs - Another Kind Of Blues
  • SLF - Nobody's Heroes
  • The Psychedelic Furs - The Psychedelic Furs
  • Kate Bush - Never For Ever
  • 10cc - Deceptive Bends
  • Bloc Party - Silent Alarm
  • Michael Oldfield - Tubular Bells
  • Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
  • Killing Joke - Killing Joke
  • Morphine -Cure For Pain
  • NMA - No Rest For The Wicked
  • Nick Cave - Push The Sky Away

• Like 2

I'll shove another five in then now that precedent's been set...

The Smiths - Meat is Murder

Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Fever To Tell

Jeffrey Lewis and Jack Lewis - City and Eastern Songs 

The Fall - Fall Heads Roll

Gorky's Zygotic Mynci - Spanish Dance Troupe

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Daggers said:

And fvck everyone for not including This Nation's Saving Grace

That was the first Fall album I got actually, after hearing John Peel play "Spoilt Victorian Child", still sing under my breath when someone's kid (and sometimes my own) has been acting the twat to this day.

I am a monster myself as I prefer late period Fall

1 minute ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I am a monster myself as I prefer late period Fall

Heathen

I've had late night town centre fights over less*

*I've not had a late night town centre fight for at least thirty years**

**I've not had a late night town centre fight over a Fall album preference ever***

***Or any late night town centre fights

I would add, almost all Grandaddy, Pixies, The Cure, New Order, Neil Young, Pearl Jam, Spiritualized, Mercury Rev, Radiohead, REM, Ash, Portishead, My Bloody Valentine (I knew I'd forget one! Loveless!) albums.

To date, all Fontaines DC albums are superb.