Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

1-2 Fulham, A Post Match Thread

6 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Thanks! What an odd conversation. So if he sees Ricky P as an experienced, valuable player...why hasn't he had any minutes so far this season, and relatively few in pre-season? I really don't get it at all, this is not helping Cooper's case.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

It's not knee jerk to say he's clearly out of his depth, should never have been given the job and we're just wasting time because footballing decorum is to give a manager "time."

There's no evidence at all of him having a functional plan and communicating it to the players. 

Remember when we came up with Pearson and we were struggling for points after the initial flury of excitement around the United game? 

We still looked like there was a plan, we were in games, we were often unlucky. It took deep in to the losing run for Pearson to lose the plot with that four defensive midfielder diamond away at Newcastle. 

This doesn't look like "let him cook" at all does it. You can't watch this and go "I see what he's trying to do, when it clicks we'll be great."

It just looks like a manager that absolutely stumbled in to premier league management with a freak purple patch and is now out of his depth. Especially given that he's being asked to do something different here to Forest. Here he's being asked to back up all of his talk of playing progressive, possession based, attacking football. 

In football, it's always frowned upon to sack a manager without time served, substitute a player before half time, generally make any early change. But statistically, the earlier you make changes the better. 

I really hope we don't throw this season away out of politeness. **** sunk cost, just reverse the mistake and go approach a proper manager. **** it, Potter must have given up on England now. I'll have him third time lucky over this mess. 

What you’re saying is not wrong apart from “go get a proper manager”. The reality is that a proper manager wants a club at the very least set up properly. We’ve had two (one actual and one sought) who have told us that the director of football and owner are not serious individuals. With Top and Rudkin, you’re just not going to attract respectable individuals because neither are respectable - they’re ****ing idiots. 

I mean look at the disorganisation of our window. We play Villa next week who just 2 years ago were some levels below ours. They’re going to spank us. People see what has happened - why risk your career ?

Cooper or someone of his ilk (ie someone unproven or like you say, with a purple patch who is now out of his depth) is our level. We gave him a 19 year CAM, a 37 year old striker and Bobby Reid as attacking option. I’d rather see Riccy and Mavididi on the pitch because I think both are far better but who replaces KDH who we still haven’t attempted to replace. We have to accept where we are with the ownership and leadership we have and that is one of the worst if not the worst in the league. You don’t just go out and get a proper manager.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Matt said:

You do realise most other clubs probably have that opinion of us right?

And they succeeded in part of relegating us in 22/23.

Couldn’t give a monkeys what others think. We’re bigger and better than that guff and it’s embarrassing to lose to them 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Samilktray said:

Yeah that did me tbf

Probably just a bit stressed and mispoke in the moment but, yeah, did hack me off a bit.

That said I moaned about Rodgers overly polished media friendly performances so I'm probably being unreasonable.

1 minute ago, StriderHiryu said:

I'll make a tactical analysis later in the week, but Marco Silva watched our game against Spurs and countered Cooper's system easily. Though they palyed 4231 against Man United, Andrea Perreria pushed up to play more of a 4141, with him and Smith-Rowe doubling up on Winks, leaving Ndidi free for the most part. They were trying to tempt us into playing into Ndidi, which we rarely did. Thus we never really got going.

In the second half, once Skipp came on, we actually were able to build as Winks and Skipp together gave us multiple passing outlets whilst retaining physicality. I also though Ndidi was better up high to win the ball back with the press.

So for me against teams that are around our level (though Fulham were above our level today), we need to have two ball playing midfielders as the double pivot for this system to work. Which means Ricardo or Skipp instead of Ndidi.

I thought Riccy P was sensational last season in the double pivot, but I can understand why he a manager might not want to play him there in the Premier League. So play Skipp if we won't play Ricardo, though I think it's insane not to play one of the best players we've had over the last 5-6 years in the team.

I’d just written something similar so seeing you say it makes me think I might have got it right! 😀

Enjoying your video analysis as well. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Other than a brain fart by Justin we probably get something.

We need a couple of quality players at 9 and 10.

Odd innit? This has been known since day one of the close season.

Transfer window? What is a Transfer window??  :dunno:

In fairness, our team is pretty shit on paper anyway. Ridiculous we aren't playing Ricardo and Mavididi.

The ray of hope is that Everton, Ipswich and Southampton also look poor. I don't see us staying safe with this manager in charge though, especially if a points deduction hits us.

4 minutes ago, lcfc_forever said:

I’d just written something similar so seeing you say it makes me think I might have got it right! 😀

Enjoying your video analysis as well. 

I think it's a bit doom and gloom on here, but though we deservedly lost today, it's not a total write-off. There were two big issues, Reid was poor, and we couldn't build from the back. Without signing anyone else, we could already address those issues within our squad.

The other key issue is the Striker. Vardy should be an impact player not a starter, and that was obviously the plan at the start of the season, but Daka got injured. Vardy was good against Spurs, but today he could have done a bit better with his decision making in the second half. If we don't get anyone, that will not be something easy to fix.

This season was always going to be tough. Had we not given away the goal on transition, we may well have got a point as I don't think we were clinging on. But we must say that we didn't really deserve to score either and it was a bit fortunate we did off the corner.

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, waddadamadda said:

There’s this niggling feeling that I have that the uncertainty of the points deduction is having an affect on attitudes. 

It shouldn’t. The only two teams who’ve had deviations both survived.

8 minutes ago, CloudFox said:

Thanks! What an odd conversation. So if he sees Ricky P as an experienced, valuable player...why hasn't he had any minutes so far this season, and relatively few in pre-season? I really don't get it at all, this is not helping Cooper's case.

If he’s not careful folk might get the wrong idea and think he’s not got a clue, making those kind of statements :crylaugh:

1 minute ago, LVFox said:

In fairness, our team is pretty shit on paper anyway. Ridiculous we aren't playing Ricardo and Mavididi.

The ray of hope is that Everton, Ipswich and Southampton also look poor. I don't see us staying safe with this manager in charge though, especially if a points deduction hits us.

This pisses me off….

It clearly isn’t is it? If it was shit it wouldn’t have done what it did last season, under an inexperienced manager. 

Its a club that’s currently in transition, when it probably didn’t want to be, and is seemingly struggling to get to grips with its new “coach”.

There was enough talent in that team to get something from that game. The managers poor tactical decisions presented Fulham with easy opportunities to win the game. 

1 hour ago, DZ-LCFC said:

FIRST MANAGER TO BE SACKED 

…….Maresca. Cooper is here for the duration, even if we go down. We don’t do sackings early, besides we can’t afford to anyway. 

25 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

My point was that the second half to me suggests that certainly was not the case

That was not a team that was confident in what they were doing anywhere on the pitch

This is the main concern for me. And they haven't looked like they have any sort of pattern or identity in pre season and that has naturally progressed into the season itself. Early days but we've essentially played for 20 minutes against Spurs and fluked a point because they were so profligate in front of goal.

1 minute ago, Pliskin said:

This pisses me off….

It clearly isn’t is it? If it was shit it wouldn’t have done what it did last season, under an inexperienced manager. 

Its a club that’s currently in transition, when it probably didn’t want to be, and is seemingly struggling to get to grips with its new “coach”.

There was enough talent in that team to get something from that game. The managers poor tactical decisions presented Fulham with easy opportunities to win the game. 

Last season it was a side, better on paper than 90% of those we played, with good squad options.

We've downgraded. I honestly think the side and coach we had last season would give us a better chance than the one we have this season (dependant on what we do this window).

Ricardo and Mavididi starting would also boost that side for me, but honestly, do you look at that side thinking we can either a) keep a clean sheet or b) score more than 1 goal a game. I don't. It's really poor for this level

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

It shouldn’t. The only two teams who’ve had deviations both survived.

…….because the bottom 3 were so dreadful. But you’re right though. 

Didn’t lay a glove on them second half. Sat back until they scored then opened up a little bit more. Fulham were there for the taking that’s for sure. We look ok when we go forward until we get to the box. 

Fully believe Ricardo doesn’t get caught out for any of them goals today. Justin switches off too many times and it was quite clear they’d targeted that. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Matt said:

You do realise most other clubs probably have that opinion of us right?

And they succeeded in part of relegating us in 22/23.

Nah. We have more about us than fulham, bournemouth and Brentford. Not much more but definitely more.