Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Foxmeister

RIP Sven

1 hour ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

True. But only after getting it so spectacularly wrong with Ricardo. His signings were either spectacularly good, or spectacularly sh*te, with almost nothing in between. Anyway, may he Rest In Peace.

The blokes died of cancer and some posters speculating which signings were good or not lol

Peak Foxestalk 

• Like 3

RIP Sven. What a way to go, proper farewell tour, lots of love and attention all over, getting celebrated and honoured.

I feel it speeks volumes about what a man he was and how he conducted himself.

By no means uncontroversial and many managers have achieved more than him, but I've always admired him as a manager.

Easily one of, if not, the best Scandinavian coaches in history.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, marcymarc666 said:

Sad news, though we all knew it was coming. Looks like he had a great time, football manager, money, lots of properties and lovely girlfriends, he lead a charmed life.

RIP SVEN

:appl:
hear hear well said lad 

i hope he finds the ladies to his liking in the after life 

Edited by Master Fox
  • Like 1

I was never a fan particularly as a manager but he heralded some huge changes for us a club. Nugent and Schmeichel were crucial in an unfathomable decade for us and without Sven and his part to play our success wouldn’t have happened.

He also brought a touch of fun and grandiosity, it felt like it’d all work out even when it didn’t.

But first and foremost he seemed like a total gent and as others have said - what a life to have lived.

RIP Sven, thanks for the memories.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, when_you're_smiling said:

Yeah, because you can have a managerial career for 42-years, most of it at the very highest level, while winning 18 trophies by not being focused. :facepalm:

RIP Sven. 

I was referring to his time with us and clearly the facts back up what I said. Other than Kasper signing his time here was poor.

I see him as very unlucky in 2002. We were the 2nd best team at that tournament (Brazil a distant 1st), but we’d have won that World Cup if we beat Brazil in the quarter. And if the draw was different, we’d have gotten to the final. 

2004 was a robbery and 2006 he was too conservative against Portugal in that quarter, although France would’ve beaten us anyway.

There was something about the England Sven era, the lad mags, soccer am, 5-1 Germany, final innocence of football days. What a hero. 

Edited by Lionator
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Clever Fox said:

I was referring to his time with us and clearly the facts back up what I said. Other than Kasper signing his time here was poor.

Here he was meh yeah, though he was part of the early learning curve for Vichai that you can’t just throw money at it and expect it to work.

You can’t just then write off the rest of his career though, especially his record in 90s.

Edited by when_you're_smiling

1 hour ago, Clever Fox said:

Other than Kasper signing his time here was poor.

But great fun - some of the loan players were great to watch, Van Arnholt, Bruma, Davis, Naughton, Fernandes, Yakubu, Kamara to name a few, even if they didn't click as a team.

Edited by MGLCFC

2 hours ago, Clever Fox said:

His win rate was pretty good I think. Don't think he would've got us up but we often very good under him.

Other than that his career speaks for itself and from mid 80s to 2000 he did fantastic things at club level. I think his character and reputation off the pitch made people forget that a little bit.

• Like 2

Still remember when we was linked with him to come. Little me was thinking nah never gonna happen, but it did and remember thinking we was gonna win everything then. Think he was the hope that things was gonna be okay at the club. For me anyways. R.I.P Sven :(

Some of the football he got us playing was simply sublime - I recall the Doncaster game at home and Derby away. On par with anything that I’ve ever seen (all relative of course). I was convinced we’d be promoted with him, but wasn’t to be. But it was a hell of a ride, and I think everyone loved having him. What a character and so sad he’s gone. 

Edited by Wasyls Pec Deck
  • Like 2