Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
420Hashish

Leicester vs Aston Villa - Pre-match Thread (August 31st)

13 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

Villa finished one place above Spurs last season, with two more points and a near-identical record in terms of goals scored and conceded. Given that we drew with Spurs last week in our first game back in the PL and will have learned a lot from that experience, why are so many people convinced we'll get completely thrashed by Villa? They're a decent side, sure, but they're miles behind the likes of Man City, Arsenal and Liverpool...

They were arguably a few Ollie Watkins glaring misses away from beating Arsenal.

I think we may just sneak this, everyone is predicting Villa to have slow start especially with their champions league run in to come and their focus will be on that. Similar to Newcastle last year, the Geordies were also slow to begin with, but once they were out their results picked up. I can see a 2-1 win! but a draw is not a bad result. 2 points out of the first three ain't bad start for the Foxes considering the squad. Maintaining an unbeaten run at home may keep us in the premier league.

Edited by Leicesterpool
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ClaphamFox said:

Villa finished one place above Spurs last season, with two more points and a near-identical record in terms of goals scored and conceded. Given that we drew with Spurs last week in our first game back in the PL and will have learned a lot from that experience, why are so many people convinced we'll get completely thrashed by Villa? They're a decent side, sure, but they're miles behind the likes of Man City, Arsenal and Liverpool...

I hear what you're saying, but Villa and Spurs play in an entirely different way. Emery also tweaks things according to the opposition more than Postecoglou, so expect their line to be not quite as high against us as, it is against some other teams. 

Spurs' slightly gung-ho attitude played into our hands a bit. Also, Postecoglou failed to exploit our weaknesses (which we have plenty of) even with his subs. Don't expect Emery to make the same mistake – he is much more tactically astute. 

Still, anything is possible. Personally, I would definitely take a draw. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

I think we may just sneak this, everyone is predicting Villa to have slow start especially with their champions league run in to come and their focus will be on that. Similar to Newcastle last year, the Geordies were also slow to begin with, but once they were out their results picked up. I can see a 2-1 win! but a draw is not a bad result. 2 points out of the first three ain't bad start for the Foxes considering the squad. Maintaining an unbeaten run at home may keep us in the premier league.

They could have easily been 2 up against Arsenal, will be as tough if not tougher than Tottenham but if we frustrate them we have a chance, just can’t seeing us coming from behind though with the lack of impetus on the attacking side of our game.

last night we played possession football but that was against a weak opponent.

hopefully Vardy is fit and up for it 

I'd be delighted if Cooper went into this game looking at how we win the game, not how we survive the game. OK, there's a chance a defensive approach keeps us in the game and then maybe attack the second half but it would be great for the mindset if it was a fatawu, Bueno, Mavididi and vardy front 4. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, HitchinFox said:

I hear what you're saying, but Villa and Spurs play in an entirely different way. Emery also tweaks things according to the opposition more than Postecoglou, so expect their line to be not quite as high against us as, it is against some other teams. 

Spurs' slightly gung-ho attitude played into our hands a bit. Also, Postecoglou failed to exploit our weaknesses (which we have plenty of) even with his subs. Don't expect Emery to make the same mistake – he is much more tactically astute. 

Still, anything is possible. Personally, I would definitely take a draw. 

Tottenham always feel like, on a good day there a very dangerous and can take you pieces if your not ready for them, but another day they'll look so poor and defensively clueless. Second half they seem to lose the plot against us, they run out of ideas very quickly if not going to plan. Villa i reckon look more organised and must always be alert against them as they create something out of nowhere. There weakness is, if hurt them early on they panic very quickly.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ClaphamFox said:

That 1-1 draw v Spurs should have been 4-0 Spurs at half time. Villa have also notably improved their bench over the summer 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

I'd be delighted if Cooper went into this game looking at how we win the game, not how we survive the game. OK, there's a chance a defensive approach keeps us in the game and then maybe attack the second half but it would be great for the mindset if it was a fatawu, Bueno, Mavididi and vardy front 4. 

I think he's a much better manager when he's trying to win a game. The way he sets up away though could end up defining him as a manager. I don't want to imagine what his Premier League away record will look like at end of this season if he carries on setting up like that.

The KP needs to be bouncing at the weekend, a deafening cauldron of noise with flags and scarves everywhere, it wasn’t too long agew we was the big cheese in the midlands and we should remind Villa we’re still here!!!! WYS 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Leicesterpool said:

I hope Tielemans doesn't get a bad reaction, he gave us one of our greatest moments in the club history. Plus he never kicked up a fuss to go on a transfer, he actually seen his contact out. A nice applause when his name his read out and just leave it at that. 

I suspect he'll be booed just the same as Mads, it'll be the same knuckle draggers doing it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ClaphamFox said:

After the Spurs game Cooper said that we need to pick up wins at home. Draws won't be good enough, especially given our likely points deduction. Cooper has also been banging on about our need for more creativity at the top end of the pitch. For these reasons, I'm not convinced that he will play with three DMs and leave Buonanotte on the bench.

What Cooper says and what Cooper does are two totally different things. If he starts 3 DMs again…

6 hours ago, Leicesterpool said:

I hope Tielemans doesn't get a bad reaction, he gave us one of our greatest moments in the club history. Plus he never kicked up a fuss to go on a transfer, he actually seen his contact out. A nice applause when his name his read out and just leave it at that. 

I preferred the Fofana method myself. Sign a new contract then kick up a fuss. It actually made us few quid !

• Haha 1