Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
stu

Sammy Braybrooke - Loan to Dundee

I think it’s a great move for him. Like others have said he’ll get to experience playing two huge clubs in Rangers & Celtic a few times (how many times do they play each other in Scotland?) plus a Dundee derby. 

Think I also read the current manager in the same one Maddison played under at Aberdeen. 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Noahfence said:

I think it’s a great move for him. Like others have said he’ll get to experience playing two huge clubs in Rangers & Celtic a few times (how many times do they play each other in Scotland?) plus a Dundee derby. 

Think I also read the current manager in the same one Maddison played under at Aberdeen. 

20,000!

I'm sure it was McInnes that Maddison played under. He's at Kilmarnock now. 

Him and Alves and quite the pair to come through and hopefully they can make the grade and fulfil their potential despite their injuries. 

I always thought Sammy looked like the most complete and accomplished of the two but Will has come back bigger and by the looks of it is really pushing the first team. Both need the loans but I really hope this get’s Sammy back on track and he comes back a man full of confidence. 

Edited by Lesta Legend

2 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

it was his choice.  He had quite a few offers on the table and said that he chose this project. 

Maybe he wanted guaranteed minutes and not a risk of spending the season coming off the bench :dunno:

That's all well and good but it's about gaining experience and credibility surely. Even if he plays every game for Dundee he may have well have played for an English second division side, at the end of the season, even if he shines there, surely it will mean very little? 

1 hour ago, volpeazzurro said:

That's all well and good but it's about gaining experience and credibility surely. Even if he plays every game for Dundee he may have well have played for an English second division side, at the end of the season, even if he shines there, surely it will mean very little? 

I don’t disagree but it’s his career at the end of the day! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CosbehFox said:

Plus a three huge derby fixtures. Aberdeen likely to be decent this season too. 

Said it yesterday; Dundee a decent team - came 6th last season and wasn't expected, started this season really. They take three or four English loanees the last two seasons and they've polished them up. 

The Championship might have been a bit too much for him right now given injury record. 

I think it’s a clever move by the club, there is always a risk with a championship loan that the team you loan them too get promoted or he does really well and sees a perm move as a genuine option in a year, especially if we do get relegated, whereas with this move he gets regular 1st team football in a very competitive and physical environment but without the risk he will get his head turned. 

I thought he would end up in the EFL but for those saying it’s a rubbish move etc, consider the scenario.

If he was not on loan and a 20 year old who broke through and took the SPL by storm this season and helps them To finish in the top half and generally has a great year. We get relegated to the Championship and are looking at targets.

No doubt his name would be chucked in by a @Ric Flair or others who are very aware of young players coming through and people would be foaming at the mouth for us to go for him. Beauty is he is ours already.

Point being, we would be all for a 20 year old who has excelled at that level if they weren’t ours so it is not the level that is the issue but how he does which is down to Sammy.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

the SPL is pretty decent of late, no worse than lower midtable championship, also it depends what his offers were

1 hour ago, Noahfence said:

Oh thanks. I must’ve read wrong! 

Nearly right, Mciness no2 was Tony Docherty at Aberdeen..

He's currently Dundee manager after going it alone. He's doing well. 

It's a good move for the lad. New league, new country. 

I watched Maddison come into the SPL and he looked a star for 2 month's. He really struggled for the next 3 months trying to adjust to full time 1st team football,  but he experienced a cup final at Hampden v Celtic. 

Next season at Norwich he was a different player and invariably played well week in week out. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jimmy said:

the SPL is pretty decent of late, no worse than lower midtable championship, also it depends what his offers were

Bar about 1 possibly 2 teams it's way below the Championship standard. I watched quite a bit on television last season and at times I've seen better grassroots football! 

Is it just down to waiting for offers?  Don't we have our own people being a bit more proactive and trying to find our better young players suitable clubs? I genuinely don't know. 

1 hour ago, volpeazzurro said:

Bar about 1 possibly 2 teams it's way below the Championship standard. I watched quite a bit on television last season and at times I've seen better grassroots football! 

Is it just down to waiting for offers?  Don't we have our own people being a bit more proactive and trying to find our better young players suitable clubs? I genuinely don't know. 

He apparently had multiple offers and chose Dundee, what we do t know is where they were and how much game time was being put Infront of him

• Like 2

8 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

More nuanced than that 

the kid needs to get regular first team men’s football - physicality !!

the loan will give him that opportunity - this loan will offer some games much easier than others in that regard 

If he begins to struggle physically then he could well end up on the bench for a championship or league 1 club which will do anyone no favours at all 

I think he’s been advised to take the Scottish option and that’s good advice 

• Like 2

I always think it’s the physical side, but just as much the mental side. Both having the pressure of having to get results, but also playing in front of a proper crowd. We saw during covid certain players did well when the stadium pressure was off. It’s one thing being able to execute a pass at Seagrave and another doing it when 10k people are shouting at you and groaning when you make a mistake.

Think it’s a great move for him.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

Is Dundee really the best that could be done for such a promising young prospect? 

I think it works quite nicely to be honest. The quality in that league varies pretty wildly so one week he'll be digging in away at Celtic and the next week he'll be on the front foot against Ross County. A decent mix of responsibilities.

• Like 3

We all know he's technically a very good player, its the physicality/mentality of being (hopefully) a starter in a tough league that will be the biggest benefit to his development. The championship/league one might have given him that, but no more so than Dundee. And if its true that it was his choice from several options, then there's nothing really to challenge as he'll know what he needs to prioritise and what Dundee will offer him.

It's not exactly commutable from Leicester, either, so might do him some good to get away from the environment at the club for a bit lol