Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
stu

Sammy Braybrooke - Loan to Dundee

19 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

Is Dundee really the best that could be done for such a promising young prospect? 

Guaranteed minutes at a place that will put hairs on his chest is good for him.

Need to remember he's only 20. 

My only issue with it is that there are too many shite pitches up in Scotland and his knee worries me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StuDee said:

Dundee fan here!  As someone said it will be a good mixture of opposition for him to test himself against.  There are games we should be on the front foot, derbies that are really blood and thunder (I'd urge you to watch the highlights of the first one this season) and games where we will have to sit in.  Part of the problem with the perception of our league is that nearly every televised match is "Insert Diddy Club Here" v Celtic/Rangers and that just makes every other side look terrible.  Highlights from our derby draw (Sky) and win over Hearts (Premier Sports) will give you a better idea of standard.

There's only one plastic pitch at Kilmarnock.  There are no more we can play on in the League Cup so the only others would be in the Scottish Cup.  Even then there aren't as many in Scotland as you might expect.

It will be interesting to see how much he plays as he's trying to break into the strongest and most settled part of our team.  If Luke McCowan joins Celtic or someone else today as rumoured then he may slot into his role without much other competition, but if not then he will have his work cut out to establish himself.  His best chance might actually come against Rangers in the cup next month (on Premier) as we will likely play 2 deeper players rather than 1, so he may play alongside Sylla.

The view of Scottish football is a little outdated, but probably persists due to the issue with the television choices.  We tend to play a mixture of long and short, but always very high intensity with good passing through the middle, so hopefully he slots in well.

Hi Stu, thanks for posting!

What are your thoughts about Braybrook? There seems to be genuine hope on here that he will end up in the first team at some point, there were even (more) than a few that thought he would be an impact sub for us this season.

I think if we didn't have Alves on our books he'd probably be the highest rated youngster in our ranks.

1 hour ago, Uncle Monty said:

Hi Stu, thanks for posting!

What are your thoughts about Braybrook? There seems to be genuine hope on here that he will end up in the first team at some point, there were even (more) than a few that thought he would be an impact sub for us this season.

I think if we didn't have Alves on our books he'd probably be the highest rated youngster in our ranks.

Anyone getting caps for England youth sides has clearly got something about them.  Our manager's record so far with all signings has been tremendous as well, there have only been 1 or 2 that haven't been better than what we've seen previously, so no reason to think Braybrooke will be different.  The only concerns really are how long it may take him to get up to speed after a bad injury and not having played at this level really.  We have an exceptionally young side already though, full of Scotland, England and France youth players and they're not exactly struggling so hopefully that helps him settle in.

43 minutes ago, StuDee said:

Anyone getting caps for England youth sides has clearly got something about them.  Our manager's record so far with all signings has been tremendous as well, there have only been 1 or 2 that haven't been better than what we've seen previously, so no reason to think Braybrooke will be different.  The only concerns really are how long it may take him to get up to speed after a bad injury and not having played at this level really.  We have an exceptionally young side already though, full of Scotland, England and France youth players and they're not exactly struggling so hopefully that helps him settle in.

I'm sure we'll all be following his progress and hoping Dundee do well.

Any notable players that have come through the team and gone on to good things recently?

What are the expectations for Dundee this season?

1 hour ago, Uncle Monty said:

I'm sure we'll all be following his progress and hoping Dundee do well.

Any notable players that have come through the team and gone on to good things recently?

What are the expectations for Dundee this season?

A depressing lack of them from our own system in recent years - the club was decimated by administrations in 2003 and 2010 and the the youth system among others was a mess.  The current owners came in in 2014 and have slowly been transforming everything about the club (see new stadium plans video released a few days ago). Gordon Strachan came in a few years ago to overhaul the youth system and we are now just starting to see the results.  Lyall Cameron is the pick of them so far, Scotland u21 and likely moving on to bigger things within the next year. 16 year old Seb Lochhead looks like he’s about to sign for Wolves and 15 year old keeper Ally Graham has interest from all over including Arsenal.

Aside from that the best players to play for us previously are probably Glen Kamara at Rennes and notably Owen Beck who we had from Liverpool last season, now at Blackburn.  Luke McCowan would fall into this category too having taken him from relative obscurity at Ayr Utd to being linked with a 7 figure bid from Celtic.

We’ve been the definition of a yo-yo club for the last few years, so stability was the target last season and we overshot massively, only just missing out on Europe in the last few games. Most people assumed we would fall back a bit this season so survival was still probably the goal, maybe aiming for top 6.  So far though we are absolutely flying sitting 4th and including the league cup groups and last 16, have scored 31 in 8 games so far, so considering Hearts, Hibs and Kilmarnock have all had shocking starts, suddenly we are probably hoping Europe.  I’m sure that’ll come crashing back to Earth after we play fellow challengers St Mirren who pipped us to the last spot last season.

Edited by StuDee
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, StuDee said:

A depressing lack of them from our own system in recent years - the club was decimated by administrations in 2003 and 2010 and the the youth system among others was a mess.  The current owners came in in 2014 and have slowly been transforming everything about the club (see new stadium plans video released a few days ago). Gordon Strachan came in a few years ago to overhaul the youth system and we are now just starting to see the results.  Lyall Cameron is the pick of them so far, Scotland u21 and likely moving on to bigger things within the next year. 16 year old Seb Lochhead looks like he’s about to sign for Wolves and 15 year old keeper Ally Graham has interest from all over including Arsenal.

Aside from that the best players to play for us previously are probably Glen Kamara at Rennes and notably Owen Beck who we had from Liverpool last season, now at Blackburn.  Luke McCowan would fall into this category too having taken him from relative obscurity at Ayr Utd to being linked with a 7 figure bid from Celtic.

We’ve been the definition of a yo-yo club for the last few years, so stability was the target last season and we overshot massively, only just missing out on Europe in the last few games. Most people assumed we would fall back a bit this season so survival was still probably the goal, maybe aiming for top 6.  So far though we are absolutely flying sitting 4th and including the league cup groups and last 16, have scored 31 in 8 games so far, so considering Hearts, Hibs and Kilmarnock have all had shocking starts, suddenly we are probably hoping Europe.  I’m sure that’ll come crashing back to Earth after we play fellow challengers St Mirren who pipped us to the last spot last season.

Definition of a yoyo club sounds depressingly familiar.

Sounds like a good blend of youth in the squad then. Always exciting to see that.

• Like 1

The issue I potentially see for Braybrooke is he's not like an Alves and other attacking players who can impress in a struggling side. If Dundee are shit it's going to be hard for him to stand out. 

But loans aren't always about stats and results. It's about experience and becoming accustomed to adult football. 

• 3 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, StuDee said:

Just an FYI, Rangers v Dundee, League Cup Quarter final, live on Premier Sports, Saturday 5:30.

No idea if Braybrooke will start but he didn't in our last game and we lost so decent chance.

I have never wanted a loan to go well as much as this one. Fingers crossed he settles quickly and can get a run of games and good performances under his belt asap.

• Like 1

On 30/08/2024 at 14:17, StuDee said:

A depressing lack of them from our own system in recent years - the club was decimated by administrations in 2003 and 2010 and the the youth system among others was a mess.  The current owners came in in 2014 and have slowly been transforming everything about the club (see new stadium plans video released a few days ago). Gordon Strachan came in a few years ago to overhaul the youth system and we are now just starting to see the results.  Lyall Cameron is the pick of them so far, Scotland u21 and likely moving on to bigger things within the next year. 16 year old Seb Lockhead looks like he’s about to sign for Wolves and 15 year old keeper Ally Graham has interest from all over including Arsenal.

Any relation to Andy?

3 hours ago, honeybradger said:

Him and Ben Nelson.

Absolutely - to be fair on the rare bits I've seen of Nelson I'm already confident that he can do it at senior level. If he's as good as I think he is he should be forcing himself in as regular at Oxford and being one of their stand out players by May.

The mystery with Sammy is that we've not seem him play much in the way of competitive senior football, so it's the anticipation of seeing if he can replicate his youth form at senior level.

Totally agree though, alongside Alves I think these 3 seem to be the big hopes of the late teens/early 20s players.