Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Our Internationals 24/25

HOW TO RECOGNIZE A PERSON IN SHOCK

dannysurprised.JPG.8c21c570e71b8a1ae604dd2789fb69de.JPG

1.  eyes cannot focus on nearby objects

2.  vacant facial expression

3.  extreme disorientation

4.  inability to coordinate extremities

• Haha 1

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2024/0907/1468936-new-boy-mcateer-hungry-for-more-after-dream-debut/

New boy Kasey McAteer looking to Greece after 'dream' debut
Updated / Sunday, 8 Sep 2024 08:03

Kasey McAteer is already looking ahead to Greece on Tuesday night after his 20-minute debut against England on Saturday.

The Leicester City winger had a lot of family members at Aviva Stadium to witness his first outing in green as he replaced Adam Idah 75 minutes into the Republic of Ireland's 2-0 defeat to England.

Despite some bright moments, the 22-year-old Northampton native couldn't alter the outcome of a game that looked beyond Ireland from the moment Jack Grealish made it 2-0 in the first half.

However, McAteer did believe he had a credible shout for a penalty after a coming together with Trent Alexander-Arnold in the box.

"I felt a pull on my arm. I don't see why I would just go down in a position like that when the ball is in a great flight path for me to just nod it in, but it wasn't looked at and it wasn't given so we have to move on from that now," McAteer told RTÉ Sport.

"I came on against a top side in England, it wasn't easy. You definitely feel it. But 20 minutes there, hopefully in the future I can make that a bit more time and I can show what I can do."

McAteer said head coach Heimir Hallgrimsson has already begun the preparation for Greece at Aviva Stadium on Tuesday night.

"He said we could have done better with the goals we've conceded," he said.

"We can reflect on them and see what we can put right. It's not nice to concede two goals so close together in the first half, it kind of killed our momentum. We need to put that right now."

But for McAteer, whose grandmother came from Offaly, Saturday was a happy occasion, an Irish debut delayed somewhat by injury and paperwork.

"To be playing in a packed out Aviva, as everyone saw, with the atmosphere it created with the fans is a dream come true for me and my family.

"I am really they were here to experience it with me. On the downside, we're all disappointed we couldn't get the result we wanted."

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Leeds Fox said:

I get that there are games that can be just about watchable, but it’s really difficult to call any of this Nations League tripe ‘exciting’. There’s nothing at stake really, they’re glorified friendlies for crap teams to play each other and decent sides to experiment.

Every point I’ve made probably has a counter argument, but it’s still a load of sh!te. Waste of time, pointless reason to break the season up so early to line EUFAs coffers

Edited by Cadno'r Cymoedd
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, davieG said:

https://www.lcfc.com/news/4108448/belgium-win-for-faes-in-nations-league?lang=en&fbclid=IwY2xjawFJK4JleHRuA2FlbQIxMQABHcUgV8OCbpIzpc1RA-7wYnGCWrgKveLt441g8LLAKmMiWszetEIVPEUYyQ_aem_1LBQ4RLfJXYKUpYIYTA4jA

Belgium Win For Faes In Nations League

Wout Faes featured in Belgium's 3-1 win over Israel while Danny Ward kept a clean sheet as Wales drew with 10-men Turkey in the UEFA Nations League.
Friday's action kickstarted with the England Elite Squad, which featured City midfielder Will Alves in the starting line-up to face Turkey's Under-20s. In a feisty affair, Turkey took the lead 18 minutes in from the penalty spot.

A equaliser was found late on in Istanbul through young forward Dom Ballard, currently on loan at Blackpool from Southampton, with just two minutes left on the clock. With 90 minutes in the tank, the Elite Squad are next in action when they face Romania at Edgeley Park, Stockport, on Tuesday.

Will Alves
Will Alves
Leicester's tricky midfielder in action for the England Elite Squad.

The evening's events then continued with three senior Foxes in action for their countries, starting with Faes who played 90 minutes for Belgium in a 3-1 win over Israel, putting them in prime position in League A Group 2.

Kevin De Bruyne scored twice with former Fox Youri Tielemans scoring the other on a winning night at Nagyerdei Stadion. Faes has the chance to feature once more on Monday evening (7:45pm kick-off) when the Red Devils face France. 

City's shot-stopper Ward was also in Nations League action as Wales drew with Turkey in a goalless fixture at Cardiff City Stadium; the visitors playing over half-an-hour with 10 players after Baris Yilmaz was dismissed for a second bookable offence. 

Starting League B Group 4 with a point, Wales are next in action on Monday evening (7:45pm kick-off) when they make the trip to face Montenegro at Stadion Kraj Bistrice. 

Danny Ward
Danny Ward
A clean sheet for Danny Ward and Wales.

The last City player to feature was new signing Bilal El Khannouss, who started and played 80 minutes as Morocco dispatched Gabon in excellent fashion, sending themselves straight to the top of Group B in the Africa Cup of Nations qualification stage.

Two converted penalty kicks from Hakim Ziyech put the hosts in front before Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang pulled one back with a spot-kick himself. The game was out out of sight in the second half when Brahim Diaz and Ayoub El Kaabi scored second half goals at Stade d'Agadir.

Elsewhere, Italy turned over a goal-deficit to beat France 3-1 as Caleb Okoli watched on as a substitute; the young defender will get the chance to feature on Monday evening in Israel at Bozsik Aréna with a 7:45pm kick-off.

All times BST.

No mention of Nelson in the same game as Alves... Do we disown players when they are loaned out?? 

2 hours ago, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

For what it’s worth. Some of the best football over the summer was the ‘lesser’ sides. It was loads better than the ‘better’ sides games. 

I just don’t like the nations league, I probably didn’t put that across in the way I should’ve. So apologies if I caused any offence. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Leeds Fox said:

For what it’s worth. Some of the best football over the summer was the ‘lesser’ sides. It was loads better than the ‘better’ sides games. 

I just don’t like the nations league, I probably didn’t put that across in the way I should’ve. So apologies if I caused any offence. 

No problem at all. We've all got different opinions and I accept that. Thanks for the post. 

15 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

Would it be too harsh to say that VK's cross wasn't very good as it was behind the attacker?

Most crosses are speculative and he was under pressure and had to release before he ran out of space but he hasn't created much for us although we don't often have a lot of players in the box for the speculation to work.

24 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

Would it be too harsh to say that VK's cross wasn't very good as it was behind the attacker?

Like all tend to be for exceptional overhead kicks. Looks at Impey's away at Grimsby for Izzet's.

27 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

I would say that it's probably the only place that the defending team haven't got covered but I'm not overly sure that that was by design.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

England U20s won 2-0 vs Romania last night.

None of Alves, Nelson or Braybrooke started the game and only Braybrooke came on as a sub with 15 mins to go.

All been asked to be rested for their league starts at the weekend :ph34r:

• Haha 1

On 29/08/2024 at 12:07, davieG said:

Republic of Ireland call up Leicester City academy graduate
The Republic of Ireland announced on Thursday 29 August that Leicester academy graduate Kasey McAteer would be included in their squad for the Nations League fixtures against England and Greece.

McAteer was eligible to represent Ireland through his family and chose to play for them instead of England – where hopes of appearing on the international stage may have seemed more difficult.

He becomes the second Foxes player to choose to play for Ireland in recent months after Tom Cannon also snubbed the chance to play for the Three Lions in favour of Ireland.

Ireland Football 

@IrelandFootball

Kasey McAteer receives first call-up having completed his paperwork and received FIFA international clearance The

@LCFC

winger goes into the squad for the England & Greece matches Great news Kasey!

Went well I see!! Made no impact whatsoever. 2 losses from 2 games. No goals scored. Only opted to play for the Republic of Ireland to better his career. Knowing he’d never be good enough for an England call up! 😂😂

2 minutes ago, Frances Dempsey said:

Went well I see!! Made no impact whatsoever. 2 losses from 2 games. No goals scored. Only opted to play for the Republic of Ireland to better his career. Knowing he’d never be good enough for an England call up! 😂😂

I think the issues run far deeper than Kasey not making an impact, you could put a generational talent in that team and they wouldn't make a difference.