Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Odsonne Edouard joins on loan - Official

6 hours ago, kingfox said:

This is another Beckford type signing. 

Fans getting falsely excited. 

I look forward to seeing him get booed off at West Ham away. 

It really isn’t. Beckford cost £4m and at the time was our most high profile (and possibly most expensive) signing since probably Akinbyi.

This time fans are just relieved we’ve got someone in who can do a job in the Prem for that position and who is under 30!

I’ve watched him a bit closer than most as when we got him rather than Daka, I wondered if we’d made a mistake. That’s despite the fact that success in Scotland on the pitch hasn’t ever translated well for us, see another top scorer up there in Mark De Vries.

To be honest think there’s not a lot of difference between him and Daka but at least we’ve someone for that position and who we hope has something to prove and whose confidence didn’t look completely shot like Daka’s last season.

6 hours ago, Finnegan said:

I don't know who still needs to hear this but it's 2024, not everyone over six foot just scores headers. 

He's much, much better with his feet. 

Low crosses then :ph34r:

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

When you consider what we were going for, this is a better option than expected. 

Edouard admittedly seems to have lost his way at palace in recent times, but as it has been said he was excellent at Celtic. Brendan wanted to bring him here and we opted for Patson instead. He has ability, he’s proven that already there is a quality player there. Technically he’s excellent and whereas he may lack a bit of work rate, he appears to have a personality that Cooper will get the best out of. 

This is one of those that can go either way, and one thing I’ll credit Cooper for, he seems fairly good at getting the best out of certain players and I’ve got a good feeling about this one. He should settle fairly quickly as he has Ayew here, and it’s a new chance for him to get his career back on track. 

Im all for it, much better signing than we anticipated in my opinion. 

This team is capable of staying up. 

Fair. He has his pros and cons but he isn’t a bad player and replaces Cannon so an improvement. We had been looking at him before and there is a player in there that can contribute towards getting us over the line. Admittedly I would have wanted us to target a better prospect in the months we’ve had but for where we are this has given us a fighting chance. 

Was very concerned we targeting some absolute dross (Nantes guy) and at worst we weren’t replacing Cannon at all. 

Edited by Lesta Legend

I think he’ll do well here, he’s an out and out goalscorer. Not a speed merchant or target man we can hit. Someone who can play and knows where the net is.

Got some creativity behind him and I back him to get some goals. Welcome Odsonne! 

14 minutes ago, Jazzy_Jeff said:

I think he’ll do well here, he’s an out and out goalscorer. Not a speed merchant or target man we can hit. Someone who can play and knows where the net is.

Got some creativity behind him and I back him to get some goals. Welcome Odsonne! 

He’s not a prolific goal scorer at this level. 

Pretty happy with this, reasonable record at prem level, offers something different to our current strikers and is a good age. A player who has previously been on our radar, think this could just give us that little bit extra we need, at least we are not reliant solely on Vards. This gives us a genuine different option and allows us to mix it up and be flexible in game with our tactics. 

It’s felt for the last few years we have had very similar options up front so if it is working we are very limited as to how we could change it up, our attacking options have been very like for like. It does feel we now have some alternatives which is good. 

So ultimately who has got the best deal here. 

Palace have signed 25 year old Nketiah for £30m. He has scored 38 goals in 168 games for a team that wins more often than not. A 22.6% strike rate. 

We have signed 26 year old Edouard for nothing who has a 19% premier league strike rate for a team that wins half as much. 

I don't think that's bad business.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, FosseSpark said:

So ultimately who has got the best deal here. 

Palace have signed 25 year old Nketiah for £30m. He has scored 38 goals in 168 games for a team that wins more often than not. A 22.6% strike rate. 

We have signed 26 year old Edouard for nothing who has a 19% premier league strike rate for a team that wins half as much. 

I don't think that's bad business.

Who says it’s for nothing? 

No complaints on this. He's been a bit questionable in this division but had huge potential at celtic, might just need a fresh start. Either way, he's not currently injured or a geriatric which is an improvement on our existing alternatives to Vardy.

7 hours ago, Hack said:

Seriously. Do you not get that we are dealing with financial constraints. What makes you think we can And are looking at the same sort of players that Man U And Chelsea etc canThe amount of delusional thinking from our fans on we can go after is astounding. 

We would all love to be involved in transfers like Oshimen etc. But be real. Let's get behind the club and hope we can survive the PL. Then make big moves after that. 

I actually think my comments have been reasonably measured. I said I understood the signing and that it was a pragmatic one. It’s also fairly low risk on a loan. I’m well aware that it may well have been the best we could do given our predicament 

But whatever appreciation I have of our financial situation or desire to “get behind the club” doesn’t change the fact that I believe we’ve got ourselves a very average player. Unfortunately understanding our reality doesn’t change that belief 

8 hours ago, Hack said:

Seriously. Do you not get that we are dealing with financial constraints. What makes you think we can And are looking at the same sort of players that Man U And Chelsea etc can.  The amount of delusional thinking from our fans on we can go after is astounding. 

We would all love to be involved in transfers like Oshimen etc. But be real. Let's get behind the club and hope we can survive the PL. Then make big moves after that. 

lol I'm happier with this transfer than some of the other names we were linked with (Broja and the tree necked bigot) but there's a lot of players in between Edouard and Oshimen (e.g. Fotis, who would have been a better use of funds than Skipp and Ayew)

1 hour ago, Vlad the Fox said:

A lot of those geriatrics were kewl enough to be listening to them 30+ years ago so I guess yes. 

Must have been very cool 40-somethings listening to some new band coming out of Manchester back then. lol

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

Honestly, I accept all pelters on this - sometimes, just as with humour or nuance, the brain fails to see what is actually written. I've been the victim of it before, and now I did it myself.

To be fair, it was formulated a bit bad. Would've avoided any confusion if it said he "wasn't just good". I had to do a double take too :sweating:

• Thanks 1