Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Long Eaton Fox

HAPPY

2 hours ago, Lcfcwatto said:

You say it is poor, but I Can't imagine the phone was ringing off the hook for Danny Ward.

When Chelsea can offload Sterling despite astronomical wages, we surely couldve found a similar arrangement.

1 hour ago, Paninistickers said:

Ok dude, just for you, let's pretend that Ayew will be up for it.  Still just about a mid table team

He's not said Ayew will be up for it but you can't condemn a bloke on the basis of your own assumption.

4 hours ago, Saxondale said:

We knew we couldn’t spend much so - all considering - it’s not too bad. 6.5/10.

What has caught me by surprise is how many players in or near the first team have gone out on loan.

Because Cooper doesn't develop youth and the club have a decent crop and have finally realised if they don't develop them with loans they won't be of any value to us

7 minutes ago, shen said:

When Chelsea can offload Sterling despite astronomical wages, we surely couldve found a similar arrangement.

Depends how much they're paying Arsenal a month to have him, I guess.

• Haha 1

It's certainly not as bad as it feels. It's feels like a terrible window because of how it's panned out and everything else going on, but it's pretty average when you're being objective.

But to actually be happy with it? How low must your expectations have been? The squad has more depth but is the starting lineup improved? Don't think so. Vaguely content maybe.

Goalkeepers: the same. No Improvement.

Centre backs: Okoli not looking like a starter so effectively he's been swapped for Nelson. Squad and starting lineup; No Improvement.

Full backs: VK coming back obviously adds a decent option on there but not better than Justin or Ricardo; Improved Squad

Centre mid: Skipp is a decent signing if too expensive but he's quite similar to what we already have and a downgrade on KDH, certainly in terms of the qualities and options given; Weakened Starting Lineup and Squad

Wingers: Assuming BDR and Ayew are used as wingers, whilst they're not going to be better than what we have, they do bring different qualities and options; Improved Squad

Attacking midfield: The flip side to KDH going is that we've actually got a couple of proper number 10's/attacking midfielders in. Both got lots of potential (FB not ours though) but are going to have deliver much better numbers than they ever have. Also might see a bit of Alves; Improved Squad and Starting Lineup

Strikers: We've let 2 go and 1 is injured, yet only brought 1 in. It was time for Iheanacho to go but he's a better player than Edouard based on their time in the prem. Vardy isn't going to be able to play every game or even manage 90 mins that often meaning the backup will be playing a lot. And even if it's very marginal, Vardy will be on the decline so; Weakened Squad and (probably) Starting Lineup

As I say, I think it's hard to not feel despondent because of the general vibes around the club but I also think the uninspiring signings in forward areas haven't helped. FB looks a prospect but he's only on loan with no option to buy and Bilal (a player I was super excited about) has absolutely woeful numbers in terms of goal contributions. Ayew and BDR don't need much saying in terms of general enthusiasm even if they're decent signings. Edouard has been poor in the prem so real question marks over whether he is good enough although maybe this move could be the catalyst for him?

Also think the outlook would be so different if we had improved the spine of the team that meant Faes/Vestergaard, Ndidi, Vardy became the back up options. Would completely change the dynamic as you'd think you have some really solid players to come in, so the starting lineup must be good.

There's also the reality that if we're resigning ourselves to relegation, we're going to lose a LOT of this squad so we're not necessarily in a great place to bounce back.

Still, looking at the team if we can get some of these players near their best, we've got a chance. Got a very good goalkeeper and (if near their best) 2 brilliant full backs so maybe with Coady's leadership we can finally get that defence organised and use that as our basis for success. It would then mean that spreading the goals around the team would give us enough to survive.

3 minutes ago, Daggers said:

Depends how much they're paying Arsenal a month to have him, I guess.

I did read that they're paying half his reported 300k wage - we'd should be biting someone's hand off if they saved us 25k and a Big Mac a week.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Bergen fox said:

I would say Ipswich have had a better window than us. 

They have, but they've also spent £125m and have bought multiple unproven players who lack experience. Fatawu and Skipp are better players than anyone Ipswich have signed. We were also in completely different financial situations, Ipswich wage budget is a fraction of ours at the beginning of the season and they are not bloated with overpaid players, we however needed to spend this window trying to find cheap players like Ayew and BDCR that would give us the experience to try to reset financially. I think Ipswich will go down. 

Edited by cityfanlee23

5 hours ago, foxinsox said:

Yes, hard to get enthused by penny pinching and no vision, but Starmer did win, not least by having hopeless opposition. 

Let’s hope there’s enough useless opposition for Leicester to do the same!