Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ozleicester

Leicester v Villa Match Thread 31/8/2024

Wilf masterclass incoming in the creative hole behind the front 3 :ph34r:

On the face of it this is a very strange team, especially with Vesty being dropped to the bench for Okoli.  At least he has seen sense with dropping Reid and replacing him with Ayew on the left.  It'll be backs to the wall defending first half, inviting the pressure onto us with a view to punting it forward for the Fat and Vardy to scrap for bits and pieces.  Lump on zero shots on target first half.

This is not so much evolution from how we played last season, it is full on revolution.  Not sure I like it.

3 minutes ago, FrankieADZ said:

i do wonder what Ricky P has done, JJ didnt play well at all against Fulham 

but he stays in the team, my word

And Ricardo was absolutely pony against Tranmere in the first half? JJ also played well against Fulham with the caveat being that you might blame him for both goals.

Would obviously want Ricardo in as he's our best player but he really didn't do himself any favours

Solid, if uninspiring line up. I wouldn't fancy Vesty against Watkins/Bailey either we saw how Jackson destroyed himself last season against Chelsea. 

These are a top tier side if we go at them we get destroyed. Think people need to remember we aren't in the Championship any more and we are going to have to grind results out. I feel more comfortable with Ayew in the team because at least he can hold a ball up 

The game is won over 90 minutes, not 60. In the last two league games we've struggled to get going early by losing the midfield battle.

OYKyWIi.png

Villa use a box midfield by moving over McGinn to try and create an extra man. Skipp and Winks can play through traffic and under pressure, Ndidi will give us some bite to try and snap and win the ball back. If we can keep in the game, we start bringing on our creative players in the second half.

Villa under Emery are a properly good team so as pragmatic as our team lineup is, I can understand it.

The things that surpise me more than the midfield 3 are the use of Okoli over Vestergaard and keeping in JJ. Ollie Watkins is great for Villa so perhaps Okoli is there to help contain him, but Watkins is also a great presser and Okoli hasn't looked so great on the ball so far. Maybe his job will be to follow Morgan Rogers who is a ball of energy and moves between the 9, 10 and 8 positions?

JJ I thought had a bad game against Fulham, but even if he hadn't, as McGinn likes to drift in field, it would make more sense IMO to have Ricardo to follow him who is good on the ball and could help circumvent the midfield superiorities that Emery tries to create.

Villa finished above Spurs last season, so on paper this is our hardest test so far.

• Thanks 1

Just now, dmayne7 said:

And Ricardo was absolutely pony against Tranmere in the first half? JJ also played well against Fulham with the caveat being that you might blame him for both goals.

Would obviously want Ricardo in as he's our best player but he really didn't do himself any favours

yep both on his side

dont get me wrong i like JJ but at times he doesnt help himself, fingers crossed he performs today

25 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

can a @mod edit the title to include "Match Thread" please

Can a mod edit the title to include “Aston Villa training session” please 

• Haha 1

My calls for Cooper to go are starting early. Farcical lineup, we'll offer nothing today again. 0-3 loss.

He'll quickly lose any support from the remaining fans once he removes Fatawu to make space for BDCR.

Clueless...

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, FOXSE said:

It's interesting. Everyone loves Pearson but our season back in the Premier league had some unbelievably negative line ups!

The thing about Pearson is that when we first got promoted, he had injury issues. Having said that, our first game v Everton, he started Mahrez and Knockaert, Ulloa and Nugent. He went in against United and Arsenal with 3 strikers very early on too. When we went through the barren spell, he then got more and more conservative because arguably he was clueless what to do. The problem here is we are approaching early games with such a defeatist attitude. Hope not to concede and nick a goal. While some key players sit on the side and have fitness and confidence drained. 

Edited by Mickyblueeyes
  • Like 1

Think the below would be a lot better balanced without giving much up. 

Mads

Ricardo Faes Vesty/Okoli VK 

Skipp Winks Facundo

Fatawu Ayew Mavididi

Vardy on for Ayew

Bilal for a winger

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Buzzell said:

I feel so sorry for Ricky and Mavididi. Two of our best players left out yet again.

4 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

Brace yourselves. We’re getting dicked here.

Ricky P > Cooper.

Ricky P is probably most fans' favourite player in our squad. He's a great player on his day. And Cooper is just icing him out? I don't get it at all.

Mavididi also deserves his chance—hopefully comes on and plays out of his skin.

Buonanotte not playing is also bizarre, considering he seems to have started most of our attacks so far this season.

10 minutes ago, FOXSE said:

It's interesting. Everyone loves Pearson but our season back in the Premier league had some unbelievably negative line ups!

Pearson had actually done something with the club to be liked and that was also our first season in the top flight for a decade.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ACF said:

Think the below would be a lot better balanced without giving much up. 

Mads

Ricardo Faes Vesty/Okoli VK 

Skipp Winks Facundo

Fatawu Ayew Mavididi

Vardy on for Ayew

Bilal for a winger

This is much better, agreed. Let's hope it shifts to that as the game wears on.

2 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

The game is won over 90 minutes, not 60. In the last two league games we've struggled to get going early by losing the midfield battle.

OYKyWIi.png

Villa use a box midfield by moving over McGinn to try and create an extra man. Skipp and Winks can play through traffic and under pressure, Ndidi will give us some bite to try and snap and win the ball back. If we can keep in the game, we start bringing on our creative players in the second half.

Villa under Emery are a properly good team so as pragmatic as our team lineup is, I can understand it.

The things that surpise me more than the midfield 3 are the use of Okoli over Vestergaard and keeping in JJ. Ollie Watkins is great for Villa so perhaps Okoli is there to help contain him, but Watkins is also a great presser and Okoli hasn't looked so great on the ball so far. Maybe his job will be to follow Morgan Rogers who is a ball of energy and moves between the 9, 10 and 8 positions?

JJ I thought had a bad game against Fulham, but even if he hadn't, as McGinn likes to drift in field, it would make more sense IMO to have Ricardo to follow him who is good on the ball and could help circumvent the midfield superiorities that Emery tries to create.

Villa finished above Spurs last season, so on paper this is our hardest test so far.

My assumption is keep it 0-0 for aslong as possible and see if we can nick it with fresh legs.

I just hate it when managers play down the squad they have especially at home. Gutted for mavididi he's barely going to get a game all season he's now behind x2 defensive wingers.

8 minutes ago, Collymore said:

Horrendous team. Cooper I feel is desperate to make us just survive probably for his career too.

The evidence looks overwhelming, but it's early days.  He's got the international break to bed our new signings into the team.  If he moves El Kahnnous, Buonanotte, Edouard into the XI, we may see something other than desperate, defend-for-85' lineups.  So I'm giving him September.

If those guys can't move the likes of Vardy, Mavididi and Ndidi to the bench, then we're screwed.  They have to be good enough.  And the manager has to have enough balls to find out.

28 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

May be an image of 1 person, playing American football and text

Sorry, but I'm not really impressed..

From my "supporter's eye" perspective the selection has little to no intent to create anything, go forward or actually try and win the game.

Looks like we are not just parking a bus but a whole coach company.

Still no Ricardo or Mavididi  ..why?