Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Prem Officiating Abomination Journal 24/25

The authorities are not likely to be very helpful on this especially if we are pursuing an award of legal costs for the Independant Commission hearing. Suspicion these things are connected, however an apology won't make a difference now. Two points deducted.

1 minute ago, Spudulike said:

The authorities are not likely to be very helpful on this especially if we are pursuing an award of legal costs for the Independant Commission hearing. Suspicion these things are connected, however an apology won't make a difference now. Two points deducted.

They might not want to be helpful, but they can’t just refuse to provide the evidence simply because it’s us. They still have to follow the protocol. 

1 minute ago, Spudulike said:

More evidence that those running the game are incompetent and that they do not see the importance that VAR decisions should be fully clear to clubs and supporters 

39 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

They might not want to be helpful, but they can’t just refuse to provide the evidence simply because it’s us. They still have to follow the protocol. 

They will likely 'suggest' to LCFC not to rock the boat further. And they will probably comply and hope that it blows over.

2 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

They will likely 'suggest' to LCFC not to rock the boat further. And they will probably comply and hope that it blows over.

I don't understand. If the club wanted it to 'blow over', why would they be seeking clarification from the PL and leaking that news to a journalist? It's not remotely in our interests to take this lying down - if we don't hold them to account this time, what's to stop them from doing it again next week?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

I don't understand. If the club wanted it to 'blow over', why would they be seeking clarification from the PL and leaking that news to a journalist? It's not remotely in our interests to take this lying down - if we don't hold them to account this time, what's to stop them from doing it again next week?

All the seeking clarification stuff was quoted in the initial aftermath with emotions still running high. The heat will be taken out of it and quietly dropped. Nothing to see here, move along. Not expecting the authorities to produce any evidence or the club to make any statement. It's too late now. Nothing to stop it happening again.

2 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

All the seeking clarification stuff was quoted in the initial aftermath with emotions still running high. The heat will be taken out of it and quietly dropped. Nothing to see here, move along. Not expecting the authorities to produce any evidence or the club to make any statement. It's too late now. Nothing to stop it happening again.

This isn't my reading of it at all. Cooper spoke afterwards about seeking clarification but there were no reports that the club had pursued it. Tom Collomose, who is pretty reliable, has reported this morning that we've formally approached the PL for clarification. This is new - it is not a rehash of Cooper's post-match comments.

If we request the evidence, the authorities have to provide it. And it seems we have formally requested to see the evidence.

12 hours ago, LcFc_Smiv said:

I get what your saying but the argument as with anything that comes too offside is at what point does a mistake become an obvious mistake. It's completely subjective and immeasurable. The offside technology coming in would have been a great answer but the Premier League have opted for technology that is only going to bring more scrutiny on officials rather than the gold standard system we have seen in the champs league and at the euros.

The Premier League doesn't want the best officials or the best technology. The situation with tech and officials gives the Premier League every opportunity to influence games where they want.

The biggest, richest league in the world with the worst refs and technology, doesn't add up to me.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Lionator said:

That’s the problem with VAR. If the lino gets that wrong in real time, you might have a moan and feel frustrated but you accept it because he’s only human and it’s close. With the technology, and its inappropriate use, you’re taking that empathy out of it and it’s easy to start crying conspiracy or robbery. It’s terrible for the game and terrible for the officials. 

The Premier League VAR offside problem didn't seem to exist in the Euro's.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

This isn't my reading of it at all. Cooper spoke afterwards about seeking clarification but there were no reports that the club had pursued it. Tom Collomose, who is pretty reliable, has reported this morning that we've formally approached the PL for clarification. This is new - it is not a rehash of Cooper's post-match comments.

If we request the evidence, the authorities have to provide it. And it seems we have formally requested to see the evidence.

Hope the Tweeter is right and gives confidence that it's not just the favoured few clubs that deserve an explanation when it involves them :thumbup:

• Like 1

So I get why VAR is in 100% use for offsides - it's a yes or no answer. 

But what there is no allowance for is where there is inconclusive evidence to give yes or no. It appears (and it's not the only time it's happened there either) that the cameras at Selhurst Park are inadequate. An utter mess. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

So I get why VAR is in 100% use for offsides - it's a yes or no answer. 

But what there is no allowance for is where there is inconclusive evidence to give yes or no. It appears (and it's not the only time it's happened there either) that the cameras at Selhurst Park are inadequate. An utter mess. 

I suspect you're right and that when PGMOL provide their explanation they will admit that they didn't have a full side-view image because of the positioning of the cameras. If so, I'm really interested to see how they justify the decision to overrule the on-field decision.

Edited by ClaphamFox
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, messerschmitt said:

The Premier League doesn't want the best officials or the best technology. The situation with tech and officials gives the Premier League every opportunity to influence games where they want.

The biggest, richest league in the world with the worst refs and technology, doesn't add up to me.

I think they do and there is a lot of investment in place, it just takes time. There's a few very good young referees coming through who are getting higher profile games, the player to match official pathway has also just launched but again it all takes time and there's no guarantee former players will definitely make better refs.

1 hour ago, LcFc_Smiv said:

I think they do and there is a lot of investment in place, it just takes time. There's a few very good young referees coming through who are getting higher profile games, the player to match official pathway has also just launched but again it all takes time and there's no guarantee former players will definitely make better refs.

I'd really like to agree with you but I've heard stuff like this before. The refereeing standard in the Premier League is not a new argument. it's been like this for years.

They could get the best referees from around the world if they wanted.

I believe the offside technology has been available for more than a couple of years now but the only plan the Premier League has is to use one where they still are going to choose when they freeze the view.