Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Prem Officiating Abomination Journal 24/25

2 hours ago, StanSP said:

It's refreshing to see Cooper fight such a cause though. Even if it'll result in an unfair punishment against him. If it means PL and refs work harder to get the right decisions then I'm all for it. 

Be interesting to know (if ever) how the assistant linesman feels. He's done his job and no criticism should be for him. He's been let down by his superiors/colleagues too. 

Yep, big contrast to Brendan

Cooper's gonna get a 3 match stadium ban for being sassy.

Times:

Steve Cooper: ‘False images’ used to rule Jean-Philippe Mateta onside

The Leicester City manager accused the Premier League of giving the media the wrong VAR image of Crystal Palace goal that sparked comeback in 2-2 draw

new
Thursday September 19 2024, 5.51pm, The Times
The image of Mitchell’s cross appears to show Mateta in an onside position
The image of Mitchell’s cross appears to show Mateta in an onside position
PREMIER LEAGUE

The Leicester City manager Steve Cooper has accused the Premier League of using “false images” in the VAR controversy during his side’s 2-2 draw with Crystal Palace.

Leicester were winning 2-0 at Selhurst Park when Jean-Philippe Mateta scored from a Tyrick Mitchell cross. Despite a lengthy delay to check for a possible offside, the goal was given — but Cooper has now claimed the VAR image presented to the media after the game was the wrong one, because it was taken later than when the final pass had been made.

Mateta went on to score a stoppage-time penalty to equalise for Palace and deny newly-promoted Leicester their first win since returning to the Premier League. Cooper was so aggrieved by the first goal that Leicester officials held a meeting with the Premier League on Monday for clarification.

Cooper accused the refereeing body of attempting to take the spotlight off the “awful human error”
Cooper accused the refereeing body of attempting to take the spotlight off the “awful human error”
GETTY

“We have seen images that show he clearly was offside but they froze it at the wrong time,” Cooper said.

“Everything that has been seen has been a false image. We showed the Premier League that they used the wrong image. Everything that has been seen by the media, by the KMI [Key Match Incidents] panel, has been a false image.

ADVERTISEMENT

“The meeting we had with the Premier League on Monday, we showed clear footage that actually the game was stopped at the wrong time. Even though it might be hidden in the media, it is our obligation to bring it up and show we have been hard done by and let down, and we have told the Premier League what our thoughts are and the referee department.”

PGMOL, the body responsible for refereeing, declined to respond publicly to Cooper’s comments but is understood privately to be bemused by his position. They explained to him and other Leicester officials on Monday that Mateta was onside. The point at which the offside lines are drawn on an image is determined by the VAR and PGMOL is satisfied there was no error for this goal. 

However, this has seemingly not quelled the Leicester manager’s fury. “We had a massive error go against us and we don’t want it to go under the radar,” Cooper added. “That’s not fair to the players or the supporters.

“Errors like that shouldn’t happen. It’s why we’re changing to semi-automated [offsides]. We felt very let down by it. We needed to stand up for the club and tell the Premier League what we thought.

“It was an awful human error that we think has been hidden a little bit in the media. The images they have used, he is onside, but it’s after the ball is kicked. If they did it at the moment it is kicked, he is offside. We can’t release them and we won’t. We sent them our presentation and footage, but we’ve not heard anything back.

ADVERTISEMENT

“We asked them to explain and it confirmed they were wrong in terms of when they stopped the game. It’s not been near the media. Everything you’ve seen on Match of the Day or Sky was wrong. We showed them that, but they’ve not come back to us since.”

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jammie82uk said:

The transcripts have been posted multiple times buts here the video if anyone wants to see that instead 

Expect to see this more and more from now on.

I don't know whether you believe in such things but I and many other Forest fans last season genuinely believed the Premier League were out to do us. The club obviously thought so too and went to the unprecedented (and weird) lengths of bringing in Mark Clattenburg as refs advisor. Clattenburg of course being someone with a known dislike of Howard Webb.

We'd clearly annoyed the league in some way and there was a very blatant shift in decisions we weren't getting. All of a sudden we went through a period of about 7 weeks where we had genuine amazement at not getting a penalty, or an opposition player not getting a red etc. All decisions that were looked at apparently by VAR and deemed acceptable. It obviously culminated in our defeat at Everton and that tweet. The tweet was probably ill-advised but the club had clearly got to the end of it's tether.

Clattenburg then stepped down and conveniently the bad decisions not only stopped but we actually started getting some fairly questionable ones actually in our favour.

I will always believe that there was something deep and underlying last season that wanted us gone. Now looking at your situation you have pissed the Premier League off big time and in my opinion will continue to suffer injustices like at Palace for a while.

Then you look at what the 'Sky 6' are allowed to get away with off the field, and the continued decisions they get on it and I just feel the league is corrupt. It's a multi billion-quid money-making machine and unfortunately for us it's not Forest or Leicester that makes it the overseas brand it is, so it's easy to come after us and make it look like rules are being enforced.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, South Notts NFFC said:

Expect to see this more and more from now on.

I don't know whether you believe in such things but I and many other Forest fans last season genuinely believed the Premier League were out to do us. The club obviously thought so too and went to the unprecedented (and weird) lengths of bringing in Mark Clattenburg as refs advisor. Clattenburg of course being someone with a known dislike of Howard Webb.

We'd clearly annoyed the league in some way and there was a very blatant shift in decisions we weren't getting. All of a sudden we went through a period of about 7 weeks where we had genuine amazement at not getting a penalty, or an opposition player not getting a red etc. All decisions that were looked at apparently by VAR and deemed acceptable. It obviously culminated in our defeat at Everton and that tweet. The tweet was probably ill-advised but the club had clearly got to the end of it's tether.

Clattenburg then stepped down and conveniently the bad decisions not only stopped but we actually started getting some fairly questionable ones actually in our favour.

I will always believe that there was something deep and underlying last season that wanted us gone. Now looking at your situation you have pissed the Premier League off big time and in my opinion will continue to suffer injustices like at Palace for a while.

Then you look at what the 'Sky 6' are allowed to get away with off the field, and the continued decisions they get on it and I just feel the league is corrupt. It's a multi billion-quid money-making machine and unfortunately for us it's not Forest or Leicester that makes it the overseas brand it is, so it's easy to come after us and make it look like rules are being enforced.

I said at the time when people were making fun of forest for that tweet even though as you said the tweet was probably ill advised I completely agreed with it and some of the decisions going against you were clearly wrong and biased. I was hoping forest wouldn't back down from there stance of critiquing the refs and league because I believed it was about time some one did as it is clear for many teams who are not currently favoured by the Premier league get bad decisions going against them and te PL have made no effort to improve or change this or general refereeing standards as it helps them have thi gs go their way

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, lcfcbluearmy said:

I said at the time when people were making fun of forest for that tweet even though as you said the tweet was probably ill advised I completely agreed with it and some of the decisions going against you were clearly wrong and biased. I was hoping forest wouldn't back down from there stance of critiquing the refs and league because I believed it was about time some one did as it is clear for many teams who are not currently favoured by the Premier league get bad decisions going against them and te PL have made no effort to improve or change this or general refereeing standards as it helps them have thi gs go their way

Absolutely and after this there was an interview with Howard Webb about improving standards etc. Then they announced we'd be moving to semi-automated offsides.

It's debatable whether the incidents are linked but it did very much seem at the time that we had rattled a few cages at the PGMOL/EPL. Then this was sort of backed up by Wolves calling on a vote for VAR to be scrapped.

With the astronomical amounts of money now involved constant poor decisions have become too important for clubs to just sit by and accept.

I think all reasonable football fans understand that some go for you and some don't, and maybe over the course of the season it'll 'even out' and you'll be where you should. But the standard of reffing in this country is so poor, in the Euros it was English refs getting VAR wrong. It needs addressing and the more of us (the other 14 clubs) that pull them up on it publicly, the better.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, HankMarvin said:

It’s not in that frame though is it, it’s probably just before, as Justin’s boot is past the red line 

Assuming you're being serious, you have to account for his leg being raised, which skews perspective.

Clear offside for me.

• Like 1

Yet again... VAR fails in its only required responsibility.

Why this is supported is beyond me... You will NEVER remover errors from sport unless you play and adjudicate with robots.

Just accept mistakes happen in the game and let it flow... FVCK VAR