Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SecretPro

Leicester 1 - 2 Villa POST MATCH

Lots of positives from yesterday. The players aren't overawed by their opponents. Villa knew they were in a game and we were no mugs. Cooper I guess is trying to make us a tough nut to crack

I'm ok with the set up. Winks and Skipp anchoring us into the game. Wilf leading the press. Ayew being an absolute pain in the arse to play against. 

But, ffs, PLAY STEPHY. It's so bleeding obvious. Personally, I'd play him instead of Vards (my thread earlier bizarrely deleted for suggesting Vards has had his day) 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dr The Singh said:

Got mixed emotions about yesterday.  Felt we were too defensive first half but second half was better and could have snatched a draw.

We really need a good 90 minutes, and a bit of luck.  The palace match is massive.

The problem is, if your strategy is to try to keep it tight and avoid conceding before having a go late on, you need to be 100% confident in your ability to execute the first part of the plan flawlessly. You’re banking on nobody making a silly mistake and the ref not making any stupid decisions. Unfortunately, something is always likely to go wrong - and when it does, you’re chasing the game. I really want to believe that Cooper realises this soon and changes his approach, but given that he stubbornly stuck with his conservative tactics until Forest sacked him, and has started in exactly the same way with us, it’s difficult to be optimistic.. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

The problem is, if your strategy is to try to keep it tight and avoid conceding before having a go late on, you need to be 100% confident in your ability to execute the first part of the plan flawlessly. You’re banking on nobody making a silly mistake and the ref not making any stupid decisions. Unfortunately, something is always likely to go wrong - and when it does, you’re chasing the game. I really want to believe that Cooper realises this soon and changes his approach, but given that he stubbornly stuck with his conservative tactics until Forest sacked him, and has started in exactly the same way with us, it’s difficult to be optimistic.. 

Agreed.  Im hoping he doesnt revert to type.  Id rather lose every week trying to win rather than losing every week trying not to lose.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

People banging on about Skipp, Winks and Ndidi.

Villa a side who finish in the top 4 and are pushing for europe lined up Mcginn, Onana and Tieleman.

They are managed by a class manager tbf! Whereas us the less said the better.

49 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Villa a side who finish in the top 4 and are pushing for europe lined up Mcginn, Onana and Tieleman.

Yep. To be fair they were very decent. Onana is a real handful as was mcginn. Tielemans. Well we know what he brings. Showed his class a few times. He looked trim and up for it. 

13 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Cooper is such a revel in the chaos type manager, his tactics are so basic and yet there's elements to it that creates football that us fans can identify and enjoy.

I want him gone but if he can learn quickly that there's little point trying to play extremely defensive football with this squad, then he might have a small chance of doing OK here. 3 games in and we've gifted teams a head start in every game, it's galling.

I am more confident this squad can compete to stay up but we don't have much margin for error.

Would be a brave call to sack him during the international break, I hope we do but our club aren't brave enough nor proactive enough to do so.

Not sure they will get rid during the break but I hope the club are looking at potential options so they have some idea of who to replace him with if things don't improve. Not sure who is available, is suitable, and would want to come. 

Obviously the club aren't preparing for anything as they don't, but it's a positive thought.

Edited by Stormfox

5 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

Tielemans and McGinn are both able to actually create chances and score goals with some level of regularity

They got 18 goals and assists between them in the Prem last season

I will be amazed if Skipp, Winks, and Ndidi manage 5 between them in the Prem this season

We all know Tielemans can pull out a world class pass to set a player through and he has good players getting on the end of it - I saw Winks play a really good pass into Ndidi yesterday and he completely missed the ball, let it roll right under his foot - he did the exact same against Tranmere as well

How are we going to create any actual chances when that is the kind of quality we have as the main support for our striker? We aren't going to.

• Like 4

I really hope Coady is fit for our next game, get him in for Faes and we'll have a leader alongside Okoli, must have been 3 times one of our players clearly called for a header and Faes just jumped into them and messed the situation up, brain dead

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

I really hope Coady is fit for our next game, get him in for Faes and we'll have a leader alongside Okoli, must have been 3 times one of our players clearly called for a header and Faes just jumped into them and messed the situation up, brain dead

Couldn't believe it (well maybe I could) when he completely wiped out JJ try to get to header that was a nice easy one for him

2 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Whilst I agree that Coady is a leader, and that Okoli can learn from him I'm pretty sure the consensus from Wolves fans was that he was only really any good in a back 3 and a bit of a liability in a pair. He then went to Everton under Dyche and couldn't nail down a transfer for the sub £5mill option they had on him, such was his impression on Dyche, a manager that you'd expect would love a Coady type player.

He's done ok for us in the Championship but I'm unsure if he's any improvement on any other options tbh.  He's certainly more likeable than Faes though, I'll give him that.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

Tielemans and McGinn actually create chances though.

2 hours ago, moore_94 said:

Tielemans and McGinn are both able to actually create chances and score goals with some level of regularity

I will be amazed if Skipp, Winks, and Ndidi manage 5 between them in the Prem this season

We all know Tielemans can pull out a world class pass to set a player through and he has good players getting on the end of it - I saw Winks play a really good pass into Ndidi yesterday and he completely missed the ball, let it roll right under his foot - he did the exact same against Tranmere as well

How are we going to create any actual chances when that is the kind of quality we have as the main support for our striker? We aren't going to.

By way of comparison, Skipp, Winks and Ndidi have 23 goals and assists in their entire Premier League careers combined. Onana in three games for Villa has surpassed Skipp for goals and matched Winks.

Edited by Guest

If we'd started with Mav, Ricky and Facundo, we could've easily got something from this game. On the face of it, it looks like a honourable loss, but realistically Villa won without getting out of 2nd gear. The point is will Cooper learn from this. I have my doubts, I think Ayew and JJ will definitely play the next game and our gameplan will be to hang on and have a go in the last 30mins. He just seems a very conservative coach, abit like Southgate.

Edited by sm1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, moore_94 said:

100% they have better personnel.

I think you can have a functional 3 if the front 3 are working, I'd argue you if you are playing Mavididi in and a CF who is better at link up play and combinations.

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Like 2

On 31/08/2024 at 12:01, CosbehFox said:

Attack Steve. Just attack. That was like different worlds when Ndidi wasn’t playing the 10

What did you think about that 5 minute stretch or so in the second half where Ndidi was playing Winks' distributor-6 role and Winks was further up the pitch (as an 8?)?

Or did I see that incorrectly?

Ndidi just doesn't have a a spot in the starting XI. At least, I don't think he should. He's not a Winks distributor. He's not an attacker like Buonanotte. He's not good in possession like we anticipate El Khannouss to be.

His best position is probably as a double 6 with Winks, but Skipp seems more technical at the position. Ndidi should come off the bench.

There are questions over left winger and both full backs, I get that. But starting Ndidi in a 3 defensive MF formation is easily the most questionable and worst decision.