Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
FoxinNotts

Palace vs Leicester - Pre match thread (14th September 3pm)

Agree Leicester need to start with attacking players supporting Vardy that will give the opposition something to worry about. In the first 3 games we have got to half time still in the game but the best outcome has bee a draw. It is only a matter of time before we end up 2 or 3 down by half time. Whilst it is a balance of risks playing attacking players IMO we just cannot set up to defend every game and then push on in last half hour

• Like 1

If Cooper takes the shackles off and sets us up to be more attacking we can get something from this game. I’m not convinced by palace, I think they’ve done some poor business and I think at this time they’re weaker than they were last season. 

They are still a decent team don’t get me wrong, but I think they are there to be got at. 

Villa made me realise we are actually a really good team still and we’ve got some decent players, Cooper needs to trust himself to make the right calls and trust his squad. 

• Like 2

Just now, Pliskin said:

If Cooper takes the shackles off and sets us up to be more attacking we can get something from this game. I’m not convinced by palace, I think they’ve done some poor business and I think at this time they’re weaker than they were last season. 

They are still a decent team don’t get me wrong, but I think they are there to be got at. 

Villa made me realise we are actually a really good team still and we’ve got some decent players, Cooper needs to trust himself to make the right calls and trust his squad. 

This isn't in Cooper's DNA, he sets up teams to draw, and then try and win.

• Like 1

On 01/09/2024 at 21:25, moore_94 said:

I would say 5 of the next 7 games are really

Palace

Everton

Arsenal

Bournemouth

Southampton

Forest

Ipswich

Need to come out of it with 3 probably 4 wins to give ourselves a decent chance of staying up

I’d add Bournemouth in that grouping given it’s a home game.

I think Cooper’s position as manager for the rest of the season will be clarified come the next two international breaks.

He may get past the next one (after the one we’re in), but if he’s not picked up a couple of wins and a decent total of points - more than 10 certainly - by the second break (finishing with Man Utd away on the 9th November) it then becomes necessary for the board to act.

December looks a lot trickier in comparison - but no doubt that’s where we go on a run of 6 wins in 8 😂

Edited by DJ Barry Hammond

4 hours ago, Bert said:

Agree. It’s almost like if we are playing away he’s happy for a point. Then releases the shackles once we are behind. See Fulham away. 

Anyway, for this I would be going with:

Hermansen 

Ricardo Faes Okoli Justin 

Winks Skipp

Fatawu Buonanotte Mavididi

Vardy

We know that won’t be the team, wouldn’t be surprised to see BDR start as I think will be the norm away from home. 

I have to say I'd pick exactly that side.

Cooper needs to wake up. In a normal situation his pragmatic approach might be fine, particularly against the reputed much better sides, but not now in our current situation because:

1. We just haven't got a good enough defence to simply defend for 70 minutes and hope for the best and attack in the last 10! We need to show the opposition at least some kind of threat to stop them overrunning us.

2. He should know that we're going to be getting a points reduction of anything between 6 and 12 points. Narrow respectable defeats or the occasional pragmatic draw are simply not going to be good enough. We need 3 point wins! With the exception of Arsenal, regardless of any current reputation, we simply have to try and win against Everton, Bournemouth, Southampton, Forest and Ipswich. No excuses! These are the sort of games that will decide our season. We used to be a team that never used to respect reputations. It requires fight, guts and belief that should be instilled by the manager. Relegation is one thing, but relegation with a whimpering dithering pragmatic team is quite another. You can get relegated yet still keep the pride and respect of your supporters. 

3. That nauseating 3 man defensive midfield has to go. Ndidi is like a pathetic flapping fish out of his depth in that number 10 role and adds nothing whatsoever. Even if Buonanotte occasionally gives the ball away at least he's trying to do something positive and will only improve. Even Ayew would offer more there. Mavididi should absolutely be on the left because Reid offers absolutely nothing in comparison, there's a reason he wasn't playing for his last team!

Edited by volpeazzurro
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, LFEFox23 said:

Vardz been awful, deserves to be dropped...

Disagree. The disallowed goal on Saturday is a reminder how lethal he still is and how very often, he only needs one chance. Shame that he didn't get his brace against Spurs. 

• Like 2

Out of possession.                     

Mads 

Ricardo        Faes          Coady        Okoli 

Winks 

Bilal                         Skipp 

Bonnanette                                     Mavadidi  

Ayew 

in possession 

Mads  

Faes           Coady         Okoli 

Skipp              Winks

Ricardo    Buonanotte     Bilal     Mavadidi   

Ayew

The idea being Ayew is used to play off and allow the 4 behind him run beyond him. 

• Like 2

There's a good chunk of the outfield squad that haven't been on international duty and I hope he's been working on fine tuning things.

The midfield vs Palace has to contain Mavididi and Bounanotte. I could see him using Ayew off the right instead of Fatawu for this though.

Hermansen

Justin

Faes

Okoli

Kristiansen

Winks

Skipp

Fatawu/Ayew

Bounanotte

Mavididi

Vardy

Subs: Vestergaard, El Khannouss, Ayew/Fatawu, Reid, Ndidi, Alves, Iversen, Ricardo, Coady

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

There's a good chunk of the outfield squad that haven't been on international duty and I hope he's been working on fine tuning things.

The midfield vs Palace has to contain Mavididi and Bounanotte. I could see him using Ayew off the right instead of Fatawu for this though.

Hermansen

Justin

Faes

Okoli

Kristiansen

Winks

Skipp

Fatawu/Ayew

Bounanotte

Mavididi

Vardy

Subs: Vestergaard, El Khannouss, Ayew/Fatawu, Reid, Ndidi, Alves, Iversen, Ricardo, Coady

Assuming Riccy still doesn’t get a look in, that team picks itself. I agree that Ayew should take Fatawus spot. It’s a decent line up with brilliant options on the bench. There is nothing like bringing a fresh and hungry Abdul on. 

Sad thing is, I would put £50 on him playing Ndidi and benching Mavadidi / Buonanotte. 

Edited by Chelmofox
  • Sad 4

There has been a lot of concern expressed about Cooper's horrendous away record at Forest. It would be great if he puts these concerns to bed sooner rather than later - and the only way he will do that is by demonstrating he can make us competitive away from home. Saturday won't be easy (away games at Palace rarely are) but last year they finished in 10th position overall and had the 12th best home record (W8, D4, L7). It's not exactly a fortress down there. If Cooper picks the right team (ie, a genuine attacking midfielder and Mavididi on from the start), we can go toe-to-toe with them. If he errs on the side of caution again and we lose tamely like we did at Fulham, the alarm bells will be ringing loudly.

• Like 1