Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
FoxinNotts

Palace vs Leicester - Pre match thread (14th September 3pm)

1 hour ago, LFEFox23 said:

My team would be - 

Mads

Ricardo Faes Okoli Justin

Winks Ndidi

Fatawu Bounanotte Ayew

Vardy

You'd have Ndidi instead of Skipp? And there would be no place for Mavididi despite his recent performances?

Edited by ClaphamFox
  • Like 2

Hermansen

Justin

Vestergaard

Okoli

Fatawu

Skipp

Winks

Ricardo

Buonanotte

Mavididi

Vardy

Feel like Ricardo needs to start, even though he doesn't suit the system. Maybe LB could work for him? He could also start instead of Skipp?

Edit - This is the 'in possession' shape.

Edited by sporter113
  • Like 1

Ricardo, Bilal, Vardy and Ndidi all could come off the bench to make an impact. But I think I'd start with -

Hermansen

Justin Faes Okoli Kristiansen 

Winks Skipp

Fatawu Buonanotte Mavididi 

Ayew

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ClaphamFox said:

You'd have Ndidi instead of Skipp? And there would be no place for Mavididi despite his recent performances?

I think Ndidi and Skipp are much of a muchness, could of picked either to be honest... Ndidi just edges it with his experience and Inspector gadget legs! 

Away from home Ayew will offer more defensively and will also help out the LB, Whoever that may be will need help.

3 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

The some reason about Ndidi is height. He’s an asset to defending set pieces in the eyes of Cooper and that’s prioritised. 

If we continue to play Ndidi while he performs at his current level simply because of his height, then I predict Cooper will not last beyond the end of October. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

Ndidi hasn't been able to deploy those Inspector Gadget legs effectively for several years now. However, for some reason a lot of people seem reluctant to acknowledge the evidence in front of their eyes. Skipp has to play ahead of him, with Buonanotte occupying the central ACM position. Nididi is a bench option these days, not a starter.

he was doing it first half of the season last year before he went afcon. if my drink and drug addled brain isn't lying to me.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Out Foxed said:

he was doing it first half of the season last year before he went afcon. if my drink and drug addled brain isn't lying to me.

He was playing in a different position in a lower division. The last time he was effective CDM in the PL was in 2020/21. if he can get back to that level and be genuine competition for Skipp, happy days - but he's not there yet. He's also definitely not a PL-level attacking midfielder.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ClaphamFox said:

He was playing in a different position in a lower division. The last time he was effective CDM in the PL was in 2020/21. if he can get back to that level and be genuine competition for Skipp, happy days - but he's not there yet. He's also definitely not a PL-level attacking midfielder.

i gotta watch out for those moving goalposts 

7 hours ago, rugbyblue said:

I just want cooper to show some ambition.  As I see it we are going to concede in this division even if we set up defensively.  So why not go for it from the off rather than wait until we are 2 nil down before bringing on our more creative and attacking players.  Just have a go man.  

He should do, but Cooper is Southgate 2.0. He'll probably play Ndidi as a CAM and Ayew at LW, so that we can press from the front. We'll concede and in desperation he'll throw on Facundo and Mav.

Edited by sm1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, jayfox26 said:

I'd say Fulham were also beatable but all these sides will be strong at home

We won't play a way that will beat these sides. We'll rarely get hammered by these sides but I think we will very consistently lose 1-0, 2-0 and 2-1 to them.

His natural instinct isn't to attack.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

We won't play a way that will beat these sides. We'll rarely get hammered by these sides but I think we will very consistently lose 1-0, 2-0 and 2-1 to them.

His natural instinct isn't to attack.

Yep seems that way. I'm hoping things may change once all the new signings are available and settled in. We haven't necessarily played badly in the games so far this season and we seem organised, but like you say, if we continue being so defensive, it will be difficult to win games. 

19 hours ago, rugbyblue said:

I just want cooper to show some ambition.  As I see it we are going to concede in this division even if we set up defensively.  So why not go for it from the off rather than wait until we are 2 nil down before bringing on our more creative and attacking players.  Just have a go man.  

I agree.   We need to have some balance and we're not going to win many games if we divest the team of our best attacking options and our best chances to score.  It's like we have escaped a points deduction only to enforce one on ourselves.

If we go down setting the team up in this almost cowardly way, we will never know if we could have stayed up if we had played to our strengths.

14 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Time for the pre-match preview! The video above shows the best examples, but here's some of the takeaways. Palace used to be a solid but dour team under Hodgson, but are now a vibrant and exciting proposition under Glasner.

a0nnXkb.png

^ Palace build in a similar way to how we played under Enzo, with Henderson stepping up to act as another centre back as they try to play out from the back. WIth a double pivot of Hughes and Wharton, this gives them a box midfield to play out of pressure.

okVYRmy.png

^ Here's an example of that in-game.

p6cYLaH.png

^ When Palace get further up the pitch they are very attacking. Both of their wing backs (circled) support the attack to give them 5 attacking players. Additionally with the double pivot and technical players who drift inside, this gives them an attacking box midfield to generate overloads and 2v1's.

aIfeYjT.png

^ That same setup *could* be something that makes them come undone though. If the ball is won back on transition, there are gaps in those wide areas that can be taken advantage of.

giphy.gif

^ Here in an example of that against West Ham. Eze is robbed of the ball and Bowen and Wan-Bissaka have acres of space to work with on transition. This is one reason why Cooper is pragmatic, as these days in the Premier League, you are at your most vulnerable as soon as you lose the ball.

WrOJubU.png

^ Eze and Kamada will drift between the lines and spaces to pick up the ball.

IxQXUvz.png

^ This means the wing back can support the attack, meaning that either the wing back or attacking midfielder can overlap, underlap, cut in or cross. It causes a lot of problems!

iMvlWAO.png

^ If Palace do get back into shape, the wing backs retreat to make a block of 5 across the back. This is not that common in the league this season, as most teams defend in a 442. This means that even if we attack with a 5, we won't have a spare man easily available.

09VaKe3.png

^ Palace play a high line like Villa. I don't think their defenders are as good defensively as Villa's, BUT they are more mobile. A ball over the top could work though as Henderson, though a good keeper, is for me not on the same level as Martinez at Villa.

hwcVjUF.png

^ When we attack, Palace will look to win the ball back by pressing to create transition opportunities for themselves.

4PZjBQB.png

^ And under Glasner, they are deadly with those transitions as their technical attacking midfielders can do damage. Olise has gone, but Nketiah may play, giving them additional options.

uac5sJE.png

^ For me the key to this game is which of the two double pivots for each team gets control of the game. Against Villa, Ndidi and Vardy looked to block the passing lanes into Onana and Tielemans. This was effective, so expect to see the same again.

Overall, Glasner plays a very Bundesliga style of football, which should make for an exciting game. I'm expecting El Khanouss to come into the team for this one ahead of Ndidi, to slide those key passes into our wingers and forwards. For the same reason I could see Mavididi start, as on transition he is deadly.

I'm going for a 2-1 win. Palace on paper have the better manager, team and players, but I think PSR could boost our morale and we might fancy it more. We shall see!

The comparison with an Enzo team is interesting as we saw second half of last season the way to beat us was sit deep, frustrate and counter. Feels like an unchanged team to Villa to me! Keep it tight early and take the handbrake off a little second half if needed.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, brookfox said:

The comparison with an Enzo team is interesting as we saw second half of last season the way to beat us was sit deep, frustrate and counter. Feels like an unchanged team to Villa to me! Keep it tight early and take the handbrake off a little second half if needed.

Hey Steve! How are you settling in?

Edited by ClaphamFox