Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

'Dynamic Pricing'

1 hour ago, ozleicester said:

Capitalism bitches

Indeed.  Something is worth what people will pay for it.  Not that I don't have sympathy for people who waited hours for tickets only to find they were more expensive than expected at the end.  That bit should be made clear in advance.

The flip side is people have limits to what they will pay, and the seller risks that.  Requires regulation in some sectors, like utilities supply.  Not luxuries though.

38 minutes ago, djskydiver said:

If it wasn’t for my ST that’d be the end of me going. Ticket prices are already a joke nearly pushing £75 for a Category A game. 

How is that affordable for the working man! 

It isn't and they don't give a flying ****. 

They couldn't make it more obvious 

The problem for genuine supporters is that the EPL is now not about football as much as it is about the cult of personality.

People want to see these famous personalities in the same way that they want to see the Gallagher brothers, not because they are better than a good non - famous band but because of who they are.

And ofc the marketing people to whom extracting as much money as possible is their sole aim know this.

Whilst our unfashionable club is obviously devoid of "A list celebrities" we play the greedy six and people will pay over the odds to see their famous faces.

Frankly, l enjoy a good tribute bands music as much, admittedly a packed arena adds to the atmosphere but the feeling of not being cheated compensates somewhat, and if you can't get/afford to see the original it's a good option.

This kind of mirrors my feelings about being out of the EPL show, the pre match pint tastes just as good, the football is great and the crowd are football fans.

English premier football unchecked WILL be given over to the rich, l just hope when it is we are in a lower league with reasonable prices.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fox_up_north said:

I suppose the problem with limits and the nasty psychology of "dynamic pricing" is if you took two people.

Person A is told 2 days ahead of sale date that tickets will be £300. They have a clear head with which to make a decision to buy or walk away.

Person B is told 2 days ahead of sale date that tickets will be £120. They queue for hours, building up excitement but also fear that the longer they wait, the fewer tickets there are. After 4 hours of waiting, they are told the tickets left are £300. They are not in the same mindset and can feel pressured to just pay.

I used to know a psychologist who worked for a betting company and all these big firms will absolutely have done testing to work out what is the maximum they can extract. This includes manipulation, which is what dynamic pricing is.

That's right it's done scientifically and we really shouldn't stand for it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daggers said:

That’s utter bollocks, Jon, and you know it. We regulate monopolies, we regulate price fixing - and this is both of them.

Oasis and Football are not a monopoly, there are loads of other leisure activities.  Free choice, choose not to enrich willy pullers.  Being the single source of something doesn't mean anything unless you have power with it.  Do Ticketmaster have power to make you buy Oasis tickets?  I don't think they do.

Edited by Jon the Hat

1 hour ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

PL clubs would absolutely do this if they could get away with it.

And all the usual shills would be out to defend it, "supply and demand", "move with the times" blah blah blah.

I would defend their right to do it, but also criticise them for doing it and not give them any money.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fox_up_north said:

I suppose the problem with limits and the nasty psychology of "dynamic pricing" is if you took two people.

Person A is told 2 days ahead of sale date that tickets will be £300. They have a clear head with which to make a decision to buy or walk away.

Person B is told 2 days ahead of sale date that tickets will be £120. They queue for hours, building up excitement but also fear that the longer they wait, the fewer tickets there are. After 4 hours of waiting, they are told the tickets left are £300. They are not in the same mindset and can feel pressured to just pay.

I used to know a psychologist who worked for a betting company and all these big firms will absolutely have done testing to work out what is the maximum they can extract. This includes manipulation, which is what dynamic pricing is.

This is about clarity I think.  If you know ahead of time you can make an informed decision, if you are put under pressure at the last minute with a clock counting down the seconds until your tickets are released from hold and you lose out then that is manipulation which should be prohibited.  Along with most online gambling probably.

Dynamic pricing in the right place is fine.  Uber for example is fine, you can choose to wait, get a normal cab etc, and the info on demand is used to encourage more drivers at certain times.  Flights also, booking early enables them to schedule more capacity if needed. Festivals where they give you a discount for buying early as it helps their cashflow.  All good reasons to have dynamic pricing.  

• Like 1

Those are early bird offers. They're not "dynamic pricing" as ticketmaster do. Early bird offers are clear and state "buy before X date for X price. Anything after is Y price". 

The customer is aware of everything in place. 

Dynamic pricing, as used by ticketmaster, is about manipulation and changing the price you signed up for at the checkout. 

2 hours ago, djskydiver said:

If it wasn’t for my ST that’d be the end of me going. Ticket prices are already a joke nearly pushing £75 for a Category A game. 

How is that affordable for the working man! 

they dont want the 'working man' at games unfortunately. 

1 hour ago, Jon the Hat said:

Oasis and Football are not a monopoly, there are loads of other leisure activities.  Free choice, choose not to enrich willy pullers.  Being the single source of something doesn't mean anything unless you have power with it.  Do Ticketmaster have power to make you buy Oasis tickets?  I don't think they do.

Honestly wonder if you have suffered abuse at the hands of an anti-capitalist at some point in your teens given the weird take you have on some subjects.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Amin said:

Silverstone have done this for F1 tickets for the last 2 years. All you can do is stop going and hope enough people follow suit to force change. 

Eventually they get too greedy and people start to shun it, see Cheltenham and Lord's on Sunday v Sri Lanka.

Yet to see it in football however, there's always people queueing up to take your place who are willing to pay whatever

• Like 1

14 hours ago, fox_up_north said:

I did the maths and I could get about 10 games of my local non league for the cost of ticket+travel+membership of 1 City game this year. 

Or 4 games of my local League One side. 

I went to watch my local non league team in the FA Cup on Saturday … higher standard than I expected… left my house 15 mins before kick off back at 5 o’clock .. most enjoyable 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

You are correct in the sense of the true meaning of monopoly.

But if someone has been brought up with ‘their’ club like we have with Leicester, and don’t want to watch another team, that is sort of an emotional monopoly and if you are priced out of having access to that, it is very immoral even if not breaking monopoly trading laws (like is Tesco bought Asda and Morrisons for example).

32 minutes ago, bmt said:

I mean they have a monopoly on Valencia games.

They do not have a monopoly on football, Spanish football, Spanish league football, Spanish top tier football or even football in Valencia. They are not price fixing as they are not colluding with other clubs to set a price, or operating a monopoly. Daggers has just written a hilariously false post.

Not to get all Donald Trumpy but if we get Govt regulation on the pricing of individual products within a highly competitive and liquid market, that is mental.

Whilst I agree with some of what is being said, a lot of this is also down to some pathetic individuals. 

Whatever is on sale, whether it is a football or concert ticket, we all know what we realistically value that ticket at and, more importantly what we can afford. I wonder how many people have shelled out for Oasis tickets as much for the kudos as their supposed love for the band? I know at least 2! Never mentioned the band before but now apparently their biggest fans! No-one cares.

Life is about choices. I'd had Leicester City season tickets for years but when my two kids were born it would have been too much of a struggle to be practical so I did without. Later, with the aid of the Family Stand and free under 8 tickets, things got more on a level keel so I started going again for the last 20+ years again. 

You have to cut your cloth. It's part of life's lessons. Unfortunately some people get too caught up in a me me, want now want now, consumerist society, or merely blow money to look good in other people's eyes supposedly to enhance their rep.

The proof is in the pudding, that's why dynamic sales are working, largely due to dumb individuals. 

2 hours ago, LCFCJohn said:

You are correct in the sense of the true meaning of monopoly.

But if someone has been brought up with ‘their’ club like we have with Leicester, and don’t want to watch another team, that is sort of an emotional monopoly and if you are priced out of having access to that, it is very immoral even if not breaking monopoly trading laws (like is Tesco bought Asda and Morrisons for example).

The argument is then where to draw the line I guess. I do not believe Govt should have any role to play in dictating where my 'emotions' should lie in how I spend my leisure time, or what price I should pay for them.

You only have to spend a few mins on this forum and read the 'modern football's dead mate games gone non league mate shambles' posters to determine it is very easy to follow a local club instead of LCFC. Which I hope a lot of Valencia fans do in response to this. Power should lie with people not regulators.