Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Premier League cannot take action against the club for exceeding the relevant PSR threshold

4 minutes ago, MonkeyTennis? said:

Not sure - I think the PL PSR rules look at spending over three years, and the appeal outcome suggests that because we weren't in the PL last year (esp during one crucial month last summer), they can't take that year into account at any point. So that would make it hard for us to breach at any point if 2023/24 is in the mix. Could be wrong though!

Forest got punished for a 3 year period of which 2 years were in championship

2 minutes ago, Fox forever said:

Forest got punished for a 3 year period of which 2 years were in championship

it’s a real mess and the PL will have to redraft their rules sharpish.  I wonder if the fact that the season has now started means that 24/25 will have to continue under the rules as written and the rewrite can only come into play for 25/26. 

im sure forest’s lawyers will be looking through the regs to try and find a few holes re their season(s) in the championship  however, I think our circumstances were very specific and others won’t be as fortunate as we have been. 

10 hours ago, Filberts lovechild said:

This is brilliant news. BUT… should we go for more and now sue Forest and Everton?

We got relegated in a season they just survived whilst they both broke PSR and we (LOL) didn’t! But we didn’t did we, legally speaking.

i know it’s taking the pi55 but surely we could sue Forest and Everton for our losses last season

Appreciate you said it’s taking the p1ss, but hopefully this episode puts paid to the fantasists and delusional posters re our situation. We were responsible for getting relegated, Man City do not owe us half a billion because Rodgers didn’t get us into the champions league and the future of the club was compromised by our own staff, not the ‘big 6’

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

I have an appointment at City Hospital on Monday - should I put on my Leicester shirt?

I had to go in for lung biopsy a couple of years ago and when the surgeon first saw me to explain the procedure I was already wearing a hospital gown. 

Back on the ward I got dressed in my City shirt and waited for him to talk me through the next steps. When he saw me he said that I was lucky that he hadn't seen that before, admitting that he was a Notts F fan. We both had a snigger.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Le Renard said:

An analogy of the PSR defence : Technically I got you pregnant and it is mine, but I dumped you in time before it was born, therefore I don't have to pay maintenance.

So you're saying we f****** the premier league.... 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Foxes1 said:

Think we have to give Brendan some credit in all this, he saw it coming and got us relegated 😄

It was still worse financially to be relegated/bounce back than to stay up and take a points deduction 

although given that we got a hefty parachute payment based on our history and we had relegation clauses on salaries, it might be closer than it should be 

9 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

it’s a real mess and the PL will have to redraft their rules sharpish.  I wonder if the fact that the season has now started means that 24/25 will have to continue under the rules as written and the rewrite can only come into play for 25/26. 

im sure forest’s lawyers will be looking through the regs to try and find a few holes re their season(s) in the championship  however, I think our circumstances were very specific and others won’t be as fortunate as we have been. 

Exactly. To prove how bad it is. After yesterday’s ruling for the season we got relegated for PSR we are a championship club and could lose £13m for PSR and for season we won championship as at 30/6/24 we are PL club for PSR and could lose £35m for last season. Total loss allowance  for 3 year period doesn’t change but allowances are mixed up. Total crap. 

Just now, Fox forever said:

Exactly. To prove how bad it is. After yesterday’s ruling for the season we got relegated for PSR we are a championship club and could lose £13m for PSR and for season we won championship as at 30/6/24 we are PL club for PSR and could lose £35m for last season. Total loss allowance  for 3 year period doesn’t change but allowances are mixed up. Total crap. 

That’s been the case for years though re yo-yo clubs 

Up until last season, no one had broken the £105m/£83m/£61m  - delete as applicable 

The whole situation looks to me like someone, probably one of the juniors in the legal team, has asked ‘a stupid question’ along the lines of - hang on, we’re not part of the Premier League so how can they bring about charges against us: likewise with the EFL. 

shows the importance of people able to ask silly questions and does show an environment where people seem to be listened to rather than just maintaining status quo. 

ever other club in the league would have done the same but it seems it’ll only be us that can actually do it as the ruling wording will be changed asap.  

44 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Hmmmm it's a weird one. There are two things here, we DID fail PSR. We spent more money than was allowed; that's not been up for argument. 

The argument we've won is that the EFL didn't have the remit to punish us, and neither did the premier league. There is no perfect analogy for it really

If we had stayed up, we'd have been punished. So, as per the analogy, if we'd stayed in the country (premier league) we'd have been put in prison, but we fled to brazil (the EFL). When returning to our country of origin (Premier League), they couldn't do anything.

We haven’t failed anything because it doesn’t apply to us for that period. It’s like saying I’ve broken a Saudi law against drinking because I drank a beer in England

Edited by Harboro
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I have been looking at other fans comments. City have cheated but got away with it seems unsurprisingly to be the main thought. 

But also heavy critism of the EPL for messing it up.

The only support that I found was on the pinkun Norwich forum. They are happy because now there is a better chance of City finishing above Ipswich..

Football is a tribal community.

40 minutes ago, MonkeyTennis? said:

Not sure - I think the PL PSR rules look at spending over three years, and the appeal outcome suggests that because we weren't in the PL last year (esp during one crucial month last summer), they can't take that year into account at any point. So that would make it hard for us to breach at any point if 2023/24 is in the mix. Could be wrong though!

I don’t think it was about whether they could take that year into account, but more whether they were able to assess/punish us at that point

6 minutes ago, Harboro said:

We haven’t failed anything because it doesn’t apply to us for that period. It’s like saying I’ve broken a Saudi law against drinking because I drank a beer in England

Because of a quirk of the writing of the rules. If we hadn't gone down, we'd had got a points deduction. In terms of the rules regarding specifically spending, we know we failed them, we overspent. I'd suggest its more akin to having a beer in Saudi, returning to England and saying, well we're in England so you can't do shit now mate. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paninistickers said:

Isn't it the opposite? 

We argued that the rules were ambiguous and open to interpretation. 

We have successfully won the legal argument that the rules need to be applied as written - and not as interpreted. 

So we have ADHERED to the rules,.not broken them 

There was no ambiguity in the rules. The question was whether or not, given how the rules were written, they could punish us for breaking them and it was found that they couldn't. 

It's actually a little embarrassing to consider that when the PL wrote the rules on FFP, it never crossed their mind that a team would be so inept and poorly run that they would breach PSR and still be relegated. We showed them!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Babylon said:

Because of a quirk of the writing of the rules. If we hadn't gone down, we'd had got a points deduction. In terms of the rules regarding specifically spending, we know we failed them, we overspent. I'd suggest its more akin to having a beer in Saudi, returning to England and saying, well we're in England so you can't do shit now mate. 

It's actually more akin to us having a beer in Saudi, returning to England shortly afterwards and being charged by the Saudis in our absence, then going back to Saudi and saying you can't do shit about that beer-drinking episode because when you charged us we weren't in Saudi. And being correct in our arguments.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1