Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Premier League cannot take action against the club for exceeding the relevant PSR threshold

3 hours ago, st albans fox said:

This is interesting from the mockery today 

if they do manage to charge is to end June 24 then our sanction would be significant because whilst the loss may not be hugely above 83m, we haven’t been punished for the previous seasons breach.  hope we’ve done our sums right!

Does the ruling on 22-23 finances make a difference for 23-24?

Possibly, yes. This is pretty interesting. The EFL has a double jeopardy ruling, by which a club’s losses are capped if they have already been punished for a PSR cycle.

Let’s say City had been found in breach of PSR for the three-year cycle ending in 22-23 and had been punished for that. When the EFL then comes to assess the three-year cycle ending in 23-24, they would cap the losses for the first two of those three seasons, because essentially they’ve already been assessed.

In the Premier League, allowable losses stand at £35m per season. In the Championship, it’s £13m per season. Applying the double-jeopardy rule, the EFL would have capped City’s losses at £35m for 21-22 and 22-23, the first two years of the cycle they are assessing, and so essentially, they would be solely judging City on whether they exceeded the £13m allowable losses for 23-24.

That City have not been punished, it means the full three-year cycle will be considered and the club judged on whether they have exceeded the allowable £83m losses. Before City could have employed the double-jeopardy defence, but now don’t have that in their back pocket.

The EFL have not once handed over a case to the Premier League and vice versa. I presume because there's very little benefit to the league taking it over, it's time and money for something they would rather not have to deal with. 

Whether that incentive with us would now be different but if not, the most the EFL would be able to do is a deferred points deduction or a fine.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, kenny said:

Leicester were charged for allegedly breaching Rule E.49 of the Premier League PSR regulations because their three-year rolling losses of £129.4m, up to the end of the 2022-23 season, were £24.4m over the allowed threshold of £105m.

Assuming the above is correct from the BBC website, we would need to find £24.4m of allowable deductions in that 3 year period. I would guess at the following being claimed:

£10m - final payments for construction of Seagrave

£5m per year towards the womens football team including the running costs of Belvoir Drive

£5m per year towards youth development

£1m per year for charitable donations

Total £43m. 

The above could be higher than these figures, so the assumption that we have breached has always been incorrect as haven't ever presented a case to the Premier League, hence it is referred as an alleged breach.

To add to the point of Simon Jordan, Stefan Borson is their football finance expert and his appearance last week he was sure that we were looking at big deductions. So it goes to show that all those that are convinced of the clubs position don't have a clue.

Isn't the £129.4m the amount after PSR deductibles have been taken off? Pretty sure I read our losses over the 3 years came to over £200m.

2 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

On the same day Chelsea were cleared for selling hotels to themselves is even more laughable

I mean we have 2 training grounds King Power could buy from the club if needs be to fiddle the figures

• Like 1

I'm not being funny but hear me out.

The rules were written. There was a loophole and yes it happens this isn't Leicesters fault. 

Now because the rules were poorly written and this has happened this is the rules fault and nobody else's.

The 2 statements from the PL and the statement from the EFL is clearly stating that we still didn't follow the rules.

I can honestly see Leicester taking legal action over the PL and the EFL over slander and scrutiny following these statements that are fueling the media against the football club.

This could get very messy.

• Like 4

The PL are too weak and lets face it, bent, to really go after Chelsea, Man City etc., so they select what they consider easier targets to crack down on to look good in the media, Everton, Leicester etc., but being half arsed and anti competitive really does no one any favours, building a house of cards you better be damn careful where you blow.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Isn't the £129.4m the amount after PSR deductibles have been taken off? Pretty sure I read our losses over the 3 years came to over £200m.

I did wonder if the BBC had it wrong.

The reality is no one has seen our PSR calculation and I'm confident that the club will have submitted one that shows we comply.

I suspect that the PL will then argue that some of our claims are not valid or they disagree with the values hence the alleged breach.

2 minutes ago, Groby_Blue said:

We should certainly take action against the leagues. My wife wants to take action against them for the state of my pants for the last three months. 

Has that really got anything to do with the threat of a points deduction, though? 

I think we have been very fortunate but it is sounding like these leagues expected us to go "Yeah, ok, take what you want" regardless of whether there was room for us to successfully argue.

You give any club an opportunity to escape and they will take it.

• Like 2

Ultimately we’ve embarrassed the premier league…. So naturally they will be angry, as will a lot of the media connections who are heavily invested in the league. 

It just highlights that if you implement a policy, by god you have to ensure it is water tight, because if it isn’t, and it develops into a legal argument you’ll be exposed and it’s just plain embarrassing. 

What this has highlighted is that those who put these policies and procedures together and incompetent…. This is the premier leagues equivalent of walking out of the house and forgetting to get dressed.

• Like 1