Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Premier League cannot take action against the club for exceeding the relevant PSR threshold

The sheer threat that they were going to hit us hard has consequently damaged us far more than a 6 point penalty would have. We have now ended up with a sub par manager and squad as our chances of survival looked bleak. 

• Sad 2

47 minutes ago, kenny said:

I did wonder if the BBC had it wrong.

The reality is no one has seen our PSR calculation and I'm confident that the club will have submitted one that shows we comply.

I suspect that the PL will then argue that some of our claims are not valid or they disagree with the values hence the alleged breach.

For 2022/23? Surely if so, none of this would be an issue. Whilst the loophole may still exist and we could have pointed that out, if we thought we'd still complied up to the end of 22/23 then we'd have surely just cleared ourselves via that method.

There seems to be various outlets now quoting this £23m, trying to gather where it originates from and if its been confirmed.

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

For 2022/23? Surely if so, none of this would be an issue. Whilst the loophole may still exist and we could have pointed that out, if we thought we'd still complied up to the end of 22/23 then we'd have surely just cleared ourselves via that method.

There seems to be various outlets now quoting this £23m, trying to gather where it originates from and if its been confirmed.

I’ve seen on a couple of outlets that our loss was £129m 

the beeb reported it and they would normally be circumspect 

For all the very good points being made, at this juncture under these circumstances it’s a great outcome. While I acknowledge it shouldn’t overshadow the sheer financial incompetence, similarly I don’t see the point in dwelling on how this hanging over us has impacted recent recruitment. Just as I don’t dwell on wonder what would have happened if Everton had punished when they should have been (we would have stayed up).

However, I will completely reverse this position should we not stay up. Interesting how this will impact on the pitch - yes it could give us a boost, but equally it’s just written opposition managers team talk. 

13 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

We must be the worst 'cheats' in history. All we did was give more money to people who didn't deserve it and got shit. Brilliant..

Also I don’t think the rules were written with this situation in mind. They can’t have been, otherwise they wouldn’t have been written so badly. Who cheats, spends too much and then get relegated…  🙋🏻‍♂️ 

7 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

Have heard that Chelsea have just told two hotels next to Stamford Bridge for nearly £80m, to a company also owned by their owner..

This isn't new news 

it was related to period ending June 2023

premier league hadn’t officially passed the sale. Reports are that they now have 

their next challenge is getting the sale of their women’s team to themselves passed for the June 2024 numbers 

7 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

For what period? 

Ending June 2023.  Obvs no one has a clue about June 2024 because the figures won’t have been released from the club as yet to any authorities 

28 minutes ago, splinterdream said:

what frustrates me is while Simon Jordan acts like we went out and attempted to buy the league, no one is mentioning the real issue is paying the players and manager whatever they wanted in attempt to stop them from walking to the bigger clubs, and the poor performances that followed resulted in a loss of income and it's that that caused the breach.

The only thing we could have done is sell more of our players to bigger clubs, who is that fair play?

not long ago him and jim white were slagging the club off for not spending enough  in the 22/23 summer transfer window which was part of the period where we breached FFP

46 minutes ago, ithuriel said:

The PL are too weak and lets face it, bent, to really go after Chelsea, Man City etc., so they select what they consider easier targets to crack down on to look good in the media, Everton, Leicester etc., but being half arsed and anti competitive really does no one any favours, building a house of cards you better be damn careful where you blow.

Let's be honest, the idea that you could analyze a team's finances and determine how much they should be able to spend is an impossible task. It just begs for creative accounting, legal loopholes, etc. Regulators will always be a step behind, especially compared to massive clubs like the "big six" and their armies of lawyers. 

If you want some level of parity, you don't base it on how much a club "can afford," since that is so arbitrary. You create a hard cap. Each club gets to spend a fixed amount divided between transfer fees and player wages per season. Tie that salary cap to league revenue from the prior year(s) so that teams know exactly how much the cap will be going into the season. At the end of the January transfer window, clubs and the Premier League's regulators will have a pretty damn good idea of their compliance. 

With a hard cap, any club, be it a historic "blue blood" like Manchester United, a "new money" oil state funded club like Man City or Newcastle, or even little old Leicester can spend as much money as they want up to the limit. Some teams will be able to afford to spend up to the cap. Others will knowingly spend beyond their revenue, financed by the owner's personal wealth. Others will not spend up to that limit, and instead will choose to spend less in a more responsible manner. I would argue that this would not be that different from what is the current system, except for the fact that it will be legal to overspend and more transparent. 

Some will say that this will allow teams to spend irresponsibly. But do we really need the Premier League or EFL to save teams from themselves? Virtually all other businesses operate in the capitalist environment where they can outspend their earnings, and have to deal with the consequences if they do so. Hell, the same goes for all of us as individuals. Just because I technically could go out today and buy a Ferrari, does not mean I am going to do so. Even in the current system, teams still find themselves in financial distress. I for one do not think a responsible club should have its hands tied, and the status quo cemented, solely to stop clubs from spending themselves into administration. That is a punishment in of itself.  

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

All guesswork I suspect.

Allowable losses will be subjective as costs are muddled through the club. We can claim high and the PL can claim low.

It also allows the PL to give certain clubs an easy ride. Hence the Man Utd COVID losses being so different to anyone else's, or Chelsea doing what they do to avoid PSR.

Either way, it doesn't seem clearcut and the club appears to have felt it was easier to argue using the rules as they have. Having read the PL statements they were gunning for us.

Leeds fans hate us don't they? They haven't so much got a chip on both shoulders as a bag of spuds. And desperate to act like they're relevant to this conversation at all, when it purely concerns top flight clubs. :fishing:

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

Have heard that Chelsea have just told two hotels next to Stamford Bridge for nearly £80m, to a company also owned by their owner..

Wait till you see this keeper we've signed from Brondby and winger we've signed from Sporting :D 

1 hour ago, Lambert09 said:

The sheer threat that they were going to hit us hard has consequently damaged us far more than a 6 point penalty would have. We have now ended up with a sub par manager and squad as our chances of survival looked bleak. 

Pass me some of your positivity juice 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, splinterdream said:

what frustrates me is while Simon Jordan acts like we went out and attempted to buy the league, no one is mentioning the real issue is paying the players and manager whatever they wanted in attempt to stop them from walking to the bigger clubs, and the poor performances that followed resulted in a loss of income and it's that that caused the breach.

The only thing we could have done is sell more of our players to bigger clubs, who is that fair play?

We couldn't sack our manager because of the impact on PSR in the end we ended up sacking him and going down.

We have also had to sell Barnes and KDH to comply.

How have we came off better ?

• Like 2