Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
FoxesDeb

Divorce and property advice

My ex husband and I divorced in 2014, and part of the divorce agreement was that I would relinquish my claim on the family home, and he was to remove me from the mortgage within 28 days.

Fast forward to now and this still hasn't been done, I've now received documents to sign which require me to either obtain a UK solicitor, which I can't in Spain, or visit the Land Registry in the UK in person, which I don't want to do.

Given that I'm more than happy to make his life as difficult as possible for reasons I won't go in to here, does anyone know if I actually need to do any of this? He wants to get it done now as he's still tied in to a mortgage he wants to change, I'm happy to just continue to ignore it.

Family law isn’t my area but applying general law. 

1. When you say agreement, was it by way of court order or an agreement between the parties ? If it was the former, he is in breach of court order and enforcement is a possibility. If it’s the latter, there will be an indemnity clause for breach meaning he is required to meet costs incurred by you as a result of that breach (check the agreement) and that flows into 2;

2. I’m assuming he is trying to refinance the property and the form you have been sent confirms that despite being named on the mortgage, as you have removed as proprietor (assuming) could you confirm that you hold no interest in the property. Arguably, as he is in breach of the agreement/order in 2, he has little recourse (as he risk enforcement for breach), however, I would suggest that to protect yourself, (if I am correct in my assumption) that you do have yourself removed from the mortgage and your risk and liabilities under it, especially if you’ve been removed as proprietor - they can still hold you liable for breach. 

hope that helps - if I have got the initial comments wrong, let me know. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

Family law isn’t my area but applying general law. 

1. When you say agreement, was it by way of court order or an agreement between the parties ? If it was the former, he is in breach of court order and enforcement is a possibility. If it’s the latter, there will be an indemnity clause for breach meaning he is required to meet costs incurred by you as a result of that breach (check the agreement) and that flows into 2;

2. I’m assuming he is trying to refinance the property and the form you have been sent confirms that despite being named on the mortgage, as you have removed as proprietor (assuming) could you confirm that you hold no interest in the property. Arguably, as he is in breach of the agreement/order in 2, he has little recourse (as he risk enforcement for breach), however, I would suggest that to protect yourself, (if I am correct in my assumption) that you do have yourself removed from the mortgage and your risk and liabilities under it, especially if you’ve been removed as proprietor - they can still hold you liable for breach. 

hope that helps - if I have got the initial comments wrong, let me know. 

Thank you, yes you are pretty spot on with your assumptions. The court order was for him to remove me from liability regarding the mortgage within 28 days of said order, which obviously he hasn't done. He wants to do it now as he has been stuck in a variable rate mortgage for goodness knows how long now, and is keen to obtain a better rate.

I'm still named on the deeds of the house and with the land registry, the forms I have been sent are for me to sign to transfer propriety of the property in to his name, and agreeing to relinquish any financial claim on it.

46 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Thank you, yes you are pretty spot on with your assumptions. The court order was for him to remove me from liability regarding the mortgage within 28 days of said order, which obviously he hasn't done. He wants to do it now as he has been stuck in a variable rate mortgage for goodness knows how long now, and is keen to obtain a better rate.

I'm still named on the deeds of the house and with the land registry, the forms I have been sent are for me to sign to transfer propriety of the property in to his name, and agreeing to relinquish any financial claim on it.

I would if you could get a solicitor involved. Identity can still be verified even though you’re abroad.

few reasons for it:

1. as he had breached the order, you could probably get your costs paid;

2 ensure that you have received everything you should’ve received pre-signing the TR1 you’ve been sent;

3 making sure you are released from the mortgage you are currently bound to - this being critical.

Otherwise, if it’s a position where you want to transfer your interest in the property, it’s probably a TR1 form you have been sent and the process is pretty simple.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jon the Hat said:

Hang on - if he failed to take you off the house, do you perhaps still own half a house that might have increased in value significantly? :)

The only thing to flag with this, is yes, there will be an increase in value but the settlement agreement which has been signed effectively means it’s settled at the sum as at the effective date of the agreement. 

With your ex being in breach, there may be a possibility to terminate the agreement, therefore opening up a claim to the revised value but that would mean the settlement process would have to restart - which might be more hassle then it’s worth. 

In short, have a solicitor read through the agreement.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, kingcarr21 said:

Anybody else sat here hoping for @FoxesDeb to spill the tea on her ex?

We can make a game of this

My guess is he spent all the life savings on a terrible investment

Or more likely he was just terrible at Wordle and she couldnt be with someone like that lol 

He was a Nottingham Forest supporter.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, kingcarr21 said:

Anybody else sat here hoping for @FoxesDeb to spill the tea on her ex?

We can make a game of this

My guess is he spent all the life savings on a terrible investment

Or more likely he was just terrible at Wordle and she couldnt be with someone like that lol 

Before we do, I think I have a recollection of there being some unkind and cruel behaviour from him concerning Deb's recent bereavement. 

Sorry to butt in and if I've got that wrong @FoxesDeb but, I wouldn't want us to unknowingly make light of something that was such a sad and difficult time. 

• Thanks 1