Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Gloria

Jeremy Monga

Two ways to look at it. The big clubs don't develop many of their own players to play on their first team, so even if a big club comes in now you're taking a risk that you won't play for them. If he stays with us he's got a great chance of being a first team regular and growing into a top player before his big move. 

16 minutes ago, shailen said:

Two ways to look at it. The big clubs don't develop many of their own players to play on their first team, so even if a big club comes in now you're taking a risk that you won't play for them. If he stays with us he's got a great chance of being a first team regular and growing into a top player before his big move. 

More than two 

he’ll look at nyoni and his progress at Liverpool 

he’ll look at the £1m fee that Man City paid us for a 14 y o noubissie 

he’ll look at how ACL injuries for two of our brightest prospects at 18 may have affected their career progression 

it’s very nuanced and unless he’s from a staunch city supporting family, he’ll likely do what’s best for them as well as himself 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

More than two 

he’ll look at nyoni and his progress at Liverpool 

he’ll look at the £1m fee that Man City paid us for a 14 y o noubissie 

he’ll look at how ACL injuries for two of our brightest prospects at 18 may have affected their career progression 

it’s very nuanced and unless he’s from a staunch city supporting family, he’ll likely do what’s best for them as well as himself 

Agreed he's got no loyalties to us but his best chance imo to play for one of the top clubs at senior level is to prove himself here first and then get a big move when he's established. I always think it's a harder route to come through a big clubs academy and into the first team. 

3 minutes ago, shailen said:

Agreed he's got no loyalties to us but his best chance imo to play for one of the top clubs at senior level is to prove himself here first and then get a big move when he's established. I always think it's a harder route to come through a big clubs academy and into the first team. 

I was sort of making the opposite point 

that what he can earn at some of the ‘rich six’ academies before he’s making first team squads is way higher than here.  Seeing how unpredictable injuries could affect his career might affect his decision.  I saw a kid leave arsenal for yanited at 16 a month ago because of what they were prepared to pay him. 

There is no doubt in my head he looks good enough for a spot on the bench in a cup game. He looks very very special. The club should do everything they can to make him feel valued whether or not that results in the bigger teams poaching him. Can’t just give in and accept it but show him there is a path way early on and he might just stay.

those clips of him against burton I think it is shows him to be arguably one of our best ever talents, a 15 year old against many professional players and he stands out, it’s incredibly to see 

1 hour ago, honeybradger said:

Pathway to first team football mate, not consistent minutes. Give him some some minutes in the league cup and FA cup and assure him that he will be around the matchday squad in 3 or so seasons and he will stay.

He 15 years old playing for the under 21s, unless you know for sure that's he's demanding first team football thats plenty? There's no evidence to suggest he is but if he was, too bad.

Pandering to school children is no way to run any business 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Webbo said:

So you're saying we should put a 15 year old in the first team , whether that's best for the team or not and that will magically stop him signing for another team?

The culture of our club should support that which doesn't change over night but needs to be a priority of ours.

7 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Won't get a proper opportunity under this manager. 

I thought that was one of the main  reasons Cooper was brought in?. Y'know, his track record with bringing on the younger players. 

Just now, Webbo said:

Eh?

If we build a track record for developing academy players through to the 1st team, which we've done well at times but in others been slow to bring players through, then it will help prevent these youngsters going elsewhere.

It doesn't change overnight but I agree with you that we can't just play a 15 year old if they aren't ready to try and stop them possibly leaving. 

We know a few have left which is disappointing so the goal has got to be to build an environment that's as good as anything in the country, it's do-able. A lot of the hard work here has been in progress for the last decade.

5 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

If we build a track record for developing academy players through to the 1st team, which we've done well at times but in others been slow to bring players through, then it will help prevent these youngsters going elsewhere.

It doesn't change overnight but I agree with you that we can't just play a 15 year old if they aren't ready to try and stop them possibly leaving. 

We know a few have left which is disappointing so the goal has got to be to build an environment that's as good as anything in the country, it's do-able. A lot of the hard work here has been in progress for the last decade.

We all want that, but are we a football team or a factory for producing other teams talent? 

The team has to come first.

Edited by Webbo

4 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

We should look at loaning good prospects to OH Leuven if we think they're good enough. 

I think we all assumed that would happen when they were took over. I'm not sure why it hasn't happened.  I know the last manager seemed to not pick our players on principle,  whether the new guy is the same  :dunno:

Edited by Webbo

39 minutes ago, Webbo said:

We all want that, but are we a football team or a factory for producing other teams talent? 

Given the sad state of the game, we need to do both. Had we not sold Chilwell, Barnes and KDH for £110-120m we'd have been in a world of bother.

• Like 4

He's already starting games for the U21s and came off the bench for them in a 'senior' fixture.

The loans will free up space and allow the likes of Monga, Evans, King, Onanaye, etc. more opportunities at that higher level.

Monga and Evans look the biggest talents of that U16s cup-winning side and will hopefully find opportunities to train with the first team and potentially make the bench in a cup game.

For me the signs are that the culture is already changing. Small, green shoots at the moment, admittedly, but I can see the academy really beginning to blossom this season and beyond.

1 hour ago, Webbo said:

Bit of both isn’t it. Producing our own players on a conveyor belt and selling them for profit is the way to sustain success for a club of our standing. We’ll never have the commercial revenue of the greedy 6 so to only way to compete is to develop your own and create a culture where there are guaranteed pathways for the most talented kids

Short-termism, whilst I understand it to a point this season, will ultimately get us nowhere 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Big_Nige said:

Bit of both isn’t it. Producing our own players on a conveyor belt and selling them for profit is the way to sustain success for a club of our standing. We’ll never have the commercial revenue of the greedy 6 so to only way to compete is to develop your own and create a culture where there are guaranteed pathways for the most talented kids

Short-termism, whilst I understand it to a point this season, will ultimately get us nowhere 

Agreed, we have to bring these players on, a pathway to the first team, some will stay but the cream can be sold for a higher value. 

The trick is persuading them to sing a pro contract rather than leave for a bigger club. Maybe they won't get to that first team but the bigger club will get them better loans, experience to move somewhere decent. 

They are doing it with Alves although they should have sorted out a loan for him. They also seem to have finally realised they needed to get Nelson, Braybrooke and others of promise out on loan.

Edited by Stormfox
  • Like 1

I know we are all biased and yes we all want our team made up of our lads but come on let’s stop trying to put academy lads into the 1st years ahead of schedule.

They say the gulf between the championship and the premier league is massive with seasoned players struggling to make the jump up but some believe our academy lads can just walk in?

The last 16yr old to break into a 1st team was Rooney in 2002 that’s 22yrs where not a single 16yr old has risen to the dizzy heights and not 1 of our lads is being talked about how Rooney was back then because they are not yet ready.

Foden is probably the next youngest at 17/18, even Cole Palmar was 20 & not done him much harm..let them grow!

They have a pathway as mentioned this lad is playing in the U21s as are a few others that are playing above their age group no longer do we have a U21 made up of 23yr olds.

As for losing him if we don’t put him in the 1st team, we are in the lap of the gods because he can’t sign any professional papers till he’s 17 anyway and if a Man C or Chelsea come a knocking and turn his head very little we can do.

• Like 2

Rooney and Walcott both made first team debuts at 16. Nyoni close to first team action. If they're good enough, they're old enough I guess? I hope the get (well managed) opportunities with us if/when ready.

37 minutes ago, Vlad the Fox said:

He’s 15 playing for the under 21’s, aren’t we already showing him a pathway, I’m sure when he’s ready he’ll get his chance. 

Yeah, pretty unheard of for a not long turned 15 year old to be in our U21s. 

• Like 1