Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Trav Le Bleu

Five most hated songs.

So we've had the lists of favourite songs, this is most hated songs.

It's inspired by a recent WhatsApp group family chat where my parent-in-laws are having a party for their 60th anniversary and the grandchildren have been asked what songs they'd like to sing and one of my nieces has declared she's going to sing what I consider to be the worst song of the 21st century.

Note, the title is most hated... I had a think about this. Sometimes a song can be a mess, or have little musical merit, but be a lot of fun. Sometimes a song, by its very hitting all the right notes in the right order as you'd expect, can be very dull.

So this is the top five songs that really make you want to smash the speaker it's coming out of. Unlike my favourite songs, this doesn't change too much from day to day.

Here's mine:

Easy On Me - Adele (the aforementioned worst song of the 21st century - whiny, self pitying dross from someone who actually can sing.)

The Writing's On The Wall - Sam Smith (quite how this is the only Bond theme to get to no. 1 is beyond me. (Honourable mention here for Scaffold too.))

Get Here - Oleta Adams (it's a list of modes of transport, that's all it is!)

Saturday Night - Whigfield (though this could be in part down to the ridiculous dance that accompanies it. (Honourable mentions for the Cha-Cha Slide and any Black Lace song for the same reasons.))

Hey Jude - The Beatles (Oh yes! The tuneless, uninspiring monotonous drone of a dirge that has inexplicably become linked to the football club I support simply because one of our worst ever (deffo bottom 3) managers (Martin Allen) decided we should play it to inspire our players (it didn't and still doesn't) and which has hung around like a fetid fart long after its issuer has disappeared.)

Five excellent choices I feel.

Edited by Trav Le Bleu

I don’t particularly hate Hey Jude but when McCartney started playing it at the end of the closing ceremony at London 2012 I had to switch off the tv. It wasn’t, however, as traumatic as the crass ending to The Killing Fields with Imagine.

My Way, please no!! Unless you’re the Sex Pistols, then yes please!!

Football songs and footballers can fill a category of their own but Hoddle & Waddle, Jesus Christ.

The Drugs Don’t Work. I love a miserable song as much as the next man but not this one. Hate it.

41 minutes ago, EnderbyFox said:

Mr Brightside, got to be one of the most overplayed songs of all time, gash

Mods!

The Brightside is the nearest thing we have to a National Anthem that I’d be prepared to sing in a public space. This means Enderby’s post is nigh-on sedition. Put him/her/they in FT jail for a very long time.

Number 2: Any song that demands communal dancing.

Oh come on Dave, don’t be a boring twat.

1. I don’t know that dance

2. You are all simpletons for dancing in unison

3. The song is shit

4. But mainly fvck off

• Thanks 1

I could fill 5 from just Coldplay's discography. If beige was a band, it would be Coldplay. People love drab shit. 

U2 have some good contenders too. They're a slightly greener shade of beige. 

Sex Is On Fire can get fvcked. Dog bob. 

In fact lots of that indie-heavy period of the late 2000s has some real shit. Razorlight. The Kooks. Minging stuff.

I personally wouldn't consider Hey Jude in the top 10 best Beatles songs, nowhere near in fact, but it's not a "dull" song in fact the lyrics are to inspire and provide a positive outlook for the person that it was written about (not fvcking footballers, believe it or not). I'm sure anybody can hear the lyrics are very positive, so I'm not sure how you come to the conclusion it's "uninspiring" unless you're only relating it to a bunch of footballers which in itself is weird.

Rant over I guess.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Daggers said:

Mods!

Bit harsh. The movement was the original 'Brit Pop' back in the sixties. 

Talking of 'Brit Pop' anything that Oasis are currently charging exorbitant ticket prices to dredge up and perform live again. In particular, the dreadful 'Wonderwall'. They couldn't even conceive of an original title. 

• Like 1

Most classic wedding floor fillers. Whilst working as a waiter at a place that held weddings it’s actually quite grotesque that the playlists are 90% the same. 

Sweet Caroline, Mr Brightside, Bohemian Rhapsody et al 

Mr Brightside was infuriatingly shite from the word go, and as is so often the case became the biggest song from an act that can do much, much better. 

Sex on Fire I don't think would be so terrible if it weren't overplayed so much.

I've always hated "Hippy Hippy Shake". I hate the start of "Lola" by The Kinks with a passion but once it gets going it's pretty good. 

The first of the last two Stone Roses singles (All For One?) I thought was astoundingly bad, to the point where I couldn't believe there wasn't someone involved in the process who would say 'are you sure about this?'. A bit like with The Phantom Menace

• Like 1