Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Dahnsouff

Games of shame

World of Warcraft

Of late, and against my better judgement, I have returned to playing a bit of World of Warcraft.

Left a good while ago as was it had become quite stale, returned previously to try Classic, but felt it too far back in the lifetime.

Can report it is back to some semblance of the game it once was.  (Apparently they rehired some of the older staff from the more successful times.

I was encouraged to give WoW a try so had a crack at the free trial. I've been playing games of all sorts for a long time now and I can honestly say I can't ever remember being so bored. Presumably it livens up quite a bit once you get better gear and more powerful abilities, are doing more difficult content that requires more coordination and strategy etc. but I had so little fun I never felt even vaguely tempted to stick with it for that long. Would be interested to know if anyone else has come to it recently and really enjoyed it or if it's the sort of thing that you need some sort of previous attachment to in order to get anything out of it.

I've never really been into online games TBH. They take up too much time. 

One of my best mates got so addicted to DOTA2 that it affected pretty much his whole life. He put dozens of thousands of hours into it. He broke up with his girlfriend and had to move. 

I remember him telling me he'd reached out to Valve directly to ask them to help him stay off it. lol

I spent far too many hours on Football Manager, hours that I could've put into something else in hindsight. I loved it but I'd never go back. 

Got FM clean in 2017. :thumbup:

Edited by RoboFox
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, RoboFox said:

I've never really been into online games TBH. They take up too much time. 

One of my best mates got so addicted to DOTA2 that it affected pretty much his whole life. He put dozens of thousands of hours into it. He broke up with his girlfriend and had to move. 

I remember him telling me he'd reached out to Valve directly to ask them to help him stay off it. lol

I spent far too many hours on Football Manager, hours that I could've put into something else in hindsight. I loved it but I'd never go back. 

Got FM clean in 2017. :thumbup:

"My name is RoboFox and I am a Football Manager addict."

Got clean of MMORPGs about 9 years ago.(City of Heroes/Villains, Guild Wars, Star Wars: the Old Republic.)

Total time sink, never going back. How did I ever think that power-levelling and grinding was entertainment?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Guest said:

I was encouraged to give WoW a try so had a crack at the free trial. I've been playing games of all sorts for a long time now and I can honestly say I can't ever remember being so bored. Presumably it livens up quite a bit once you get better gear and more powerful abilities, are doing more difficult content that requires more coordination and strategy etc. but I had so little fun I never felt even vaguely tempted to stick with it for that long. Would be interested to know if anyone else has come to it recently and really enjoyed it or if it's the sort of thing that you need some sort of previous attachment to in order to get anything out of it.

Everything you state is true and I suspect it is largely the reminiscent gameplay that I am enjoying, because as a group we would spend much time playing as a social thing, now we are old and crusty with ‘grown up’ stuff to do, this has fallen by the way side, so suspect that fuels current enjoyment, well that along with a familiar brain off relaxation anyway.

• Like 1

lol I was a huge WoW fiend from launch (my guild moved to it from Ultima Online, OG nerds) to just before Cata. Like, guild & raid leader, only game I played, barely logged off, took over my life fiend for a while.

Went back for my nostalgia kick around late BFA / early SL and found the game crazy different. Stuck it out for maybe 3 or 4 months but, yeah. Never go back.

I've since tried FFXIV but it only briefly scratched that itch.

My biggest current guilty pleasure is probably Warframe. Nowhere near the scale of addiction as WoW but 600+ hrs logged on steam (in multiple spells.)

Edited by Finnegan