Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Libertine

Comfort Games

We’ve all got them. What games do you regularly go back to for a bit of comfort and nostalgia despite completing them countless times?

Metal Gear for me. Just started 4 after playing through 2 and 3 recently. Especially fun when you have the stealth camo and special weapons to mess around the guards with. 

Love a bit of Spyro too. 🔥 

Not really a comfort game, but I do return to World of Tanks every now and then.

Then I listen to soundtracks and watch videos of Secret of Mana, Pillars of Eternity, Oblivion/Skyrim & Diablo which scratch that nostalgia itch.

• Like 1

I'll sometimes lay in the bath and just watch longplays on YouTube of some of my favourite old games from the NES, SNES, Mega Drive and PS1. 

Nothing better than hearing the sounds you've heard so many times before for a pure hit of happy childhood nostalgia.

To play: probably the old Rollercoaster Tycoon games. So great. 

• Like 2

Final Fantasy. specifically 7, 8 and 9. 

Whenever a new FF game is made and i get that nostalgic feeling i find myself just having to go through them all over again. Mainly just to remind myself at just how amazing the soundtracks are. Especially battle music. FF9 boss battle music just hits different

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, kingcarr21 said:

Dont forget FF10. I will never forget the opening scene with the Blitzball stadium and that song comes in

10 is the one for me. My first FF game so always holds a special place in my heart. Game soundtracks as you say are a massive thing for me, FF and MGS especially. Really had a hankering to play FFX and X-2 (I know, I know) recently but not got around to it yet.

34 minutes ago, kingcarr21 said:

Final Fantasy. specifically 7, 8 and 9. 

Whenever a new FF game is made and i get that nostalgic feeling i find myself just having to go through them all over again. Mainly just to remind myself at just how amazing the soundtracks are. Especially battle music. FF9 boss battle music just hits different

Absolutely this. The 3 PS1 titles are peak FF IMO. I replayed FF8 remastered not that long ago. Its probably the game that gives me the biggest nostalgia hit of them all. 

27 minutes ago, kingcarr21 said:

Dont forget FF10. I will never forget the opening scene with the Blitzball stadium and that song comes in

This cinematic came with another game. I can't remember which - but I bought it just to see this and replayed it A LOT. It blew our minds that FF had an rock / metal theme song. 

A lot of people thought it was Rammstein at the time. 

9 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

Absolutely this. The 3 PS1 titles are peak FF IMO. I replayed FF8 remastered not that long ago. Its probably the game that gives me the biggest nostalgia hit of them all. 

This cinematic came with another game. I can't remember which - but I bought it just to see this and replayed it A LOT. It blew our minds that FF had an rock / metal theme song. 

A lot of people thought it was Rammstein at the time. 

I think the FF10 cinematic was part of the old school demo discs you used to get with magazines. Ill never forget playing Jonah Lomu on the demo disc repeatedly. What a time to be alive

10 minutes ago, kingcarr21 said:

I think the FF10 cinematic was part of the old school demo discs you used to get with magazines. Ill never forget playing Jonah Lomu on the demo disc repeatedly. What a time to be alive

Ah yeah, maybe I'm thinking of MGS2 which came with Zone of the Enders? 

3 hours ago, RoboFox said:

Ah yeah, maybe I'm thinking of MGS2 which came with Zone of the Enders? 

I remember there being loads of second hand copies of zone of the Enders for cheap in the games shops in town at the time, as loads of people bought it to play the demo then traded it in. I got a cheap one and ended up really enjoying ZOE, even if it was a bit limited in places. The sequel was absolutely quality, loved that game.

Most played demo had to be the one that came with my PS1, which had the Tekken 3 demo on it. Played it for ages until Mum bought me a used copy of Tekken 1, then gradually ended up getting 2 with pocket money ages later when it got cheap, then finally got 3 a year or so later. What a game.

• Like 1

If it didn't take up so much space on the hard drive, I'd still have Red Dead Redemption 2 on my PS4 despite completing it twice.

I've also replayed all of the Fallout games, including 1 & 2 at least twice, on different platforms, as well as Elder Scrolls 3, 4 & 5.

But I've never removed Subnautica, despite completing and platinuming it (which is fairly easy to do). I just like to dive back in and visit all my old bases I built (one of which is massive, so I could have a safe entrance connected to an array of tunnels that takes me up to an observation room where a few reapers constantly circled.)

I can't say the same for Subnautica: Sub Zero :(

Would probably not call it a comfort game, but this  years Still Wakes the Deep is one that will one I return to many times due to its ridiculously high production values and the  emotional nature of the story. Highest level of emotional investment I have found in a game, but imagine this is a personal choice.