Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

Smart meters

10 hours ago, Daggers said:

Why do I want to know my spend minute by minute?

I've lived a life paying monthly direct debit and not giving gas or electricity usage a second thought. I turn off lights like a true Dad, but I'm not going to ban showers to save some pennies or cook at 3am.

Not even naked?

• Haha 2

Our house is 3 years old.

Our smart meters which is a replacement for the first one that didn’t work, only picks up the electricity. 

I’ve given up with the thing as it’s a little bit like dog muck. 

It’s also widely out on Electric and tells me I’ve spent / spending way more. The meter readings are not correct in the slightest. 

So mine is a pointless fad. 

Well the wife is convinced that we need to switch of Ocotypuss. She is not convinced by my need to constantly call them Ocotypuss.

And we need a new boiler, so we're going for the heat pump into the bargain, apparently. Maybe the deep state and China are going to stop us making a Pot Noodle, but the decision is out of my hands. Thanks for nothing, FT, nothing you wrote helped me remain off-grid and burning the rabbit hides I hunter gathered from the village green. You bastards.

everyone will get a smart meter eventually. I work for a company who is in the business and the factories where the old style meters were built have been sold and demolished. Production has moved to new facilities in other territories. There is no market for old style meters and we couldn't build them even if we wanted to (not without substantial investment, for which there is no return)

People describe smart meters as "not working" - they usually mean the transmission of data either to the home hub or supplier, and there have defiantly been issues with that, but the meter itself is still working - it is still recording the amount of gas, water or electricity being used

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

everyone will get a smart meter eventually. I work for a company who is in the business and the factories where the old style meters were built have been sold and demolished. Production has moved to new facilities in other territories. There is no market for old style meters and we couldn't build them even if we wanted to (not without substantial investment, for which there is no return)

People describe smart meters as "not working" - they usually mean the transmission of data either to the home hub or supplier, and there have defiantly been issues with that, but the meter itself is still working - it is still recording the amount of gas, water or electricity being used

I think also some people confuse the in home device with the meter and they can be problematic and not reflect the actual bill as they don’t normally include VAT or daily charges on the display. 

8 hours ago, stripeyfox said:

but the meter itself is still working - it is still recording the amount of gas, water or electricity being used

But the pre smart meters did that. My understanding was that the meter sends the usage automatically to the supplier who then monitors usage to evaluate the bill without the consumer having to send readings every month or so.

In line with that, the customer should always be satisfied that the readings sent by the meter are accurate and therefore the bill should be also. :dunno:

• Like 1