Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Two Points Dropped by Coward Cooper! Crystal Palace vs Leicester City Tactical Analysis

4 hours ago, dr.o.ball said:

Coopers last chance on game 5? Glad you're not in charge, there isn't that many managers in the world. 😂

😂😂 I’m not in charge of sacking him, and I’m not saying that is what will happen. However if we cannot pick up 3 points here, we don’t have a Scooby of staying up with him.

Great analysis, particularly on Ndidi - I think he’s probably overly maligned just through familiarity. 

He’s not perfect but he’s reliably defensively and he’s this strange often rolls a 6 six type offensive threat. 

As for Cooper’s subs, nothing to add but it’s just so brain dead 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dr.o.ball said:

Coopers last chance on game 5? Glad you're not in charge, there isn't that many managers in the world. 😂

He shouldn’t even be here. Like I’ve said, the writings on the wall with Cooper and if we drop points to Everton, at home, who’ve conceded 14 goals so far, he absolutely has to be sacked. It’s not knee jerk and hasty, it’s proactive management. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Tom12345 said:

By the way, as you said, why is this not offside? We were never shown how the line was drawn! 

From this angle, Justin with his leg was still quite far back!

IMG_3134.thumb.jpeg.201f42a9c88da5d28eb1e1c488faf4cc.jpeg

I can’t believe the decision was given but don’t think it’s the sole narrative of the game. If I was Cooper I’d be really angry with it too though. 

1 hour ago, Tom12345 said:

Excellent work again.

Agree with everything you say.

At the end of the day, attack (or just playing our football) is the best form of defense, instead of just sitting back and inviting pressure (and be nervous). I don’t know why our managers (Rodgers and now Cooper) keep failing in this department. It is also bad for confidence if we don’t trust our own football to win games, especially if it got us to a winning position in the first place (as you say, we were doing well for 2/3 of the game!).

For me changing shape is acceptable if you don’t have the squad players to bring on. In this game we had a plethora of options other than a striker. And even then, Ayew could have started on the bench and come on to cover that possibility. 

Reading about his time at Forest from some of the posts here is really worrying. Managers tend to be stubborn so I don’t see this changing :cry:

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

Good analysis as always, though don't agree with it all. But surprisingly and disappointingly let down by an appalling thread title. Thought you were better than that. 

Fair comment and i will keep that in mind for next time, especially on here.

I can tell you that so far compared to the last video I put out, this one already has a ton more views and comments, which sadly indicates that click-baiting works. But it has been my intention to try and be more of a classier type of content creator so I will keep that in mind. At least take some solace in the fact that the thumbnail wasn't Steve Cooper wetting the bed, which I'm not going to lie, did cross my mind!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Yeah, which backs up the research I did yesterday. In 59 PL games, Cooper's sides have dropped points 9 times in the closing minutes. 

4 times his teams have been 2+ goals to the good as well. 6 times winning and then gone on to lose in the dying moments.

Our fans staunchly defending him can't say they haven't been warned.

out of interest how do you know how that compares to anyone else in the league? 

So many games are either won or lost in the last minutes - we have been on the end of loads. 

I'm not defending Cooper but them numbers to me seem pretty normal for teams scrapping around in the bottom half of the table. 

34 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

He shouldn’t even be here. Like I’ve said, the writings on the wall with Cooper and if we drop points to Everton, at home, who’ve conceded 14 goals so far, he absolutely has to be sacked. It’s not knee jerk and hasty, it’s proactive management. 

Totally agree - You have to be fully aware of his deficiencies and where ultimately where he's taking us. 

Brendan should have ben  sacked after that Brighton game which was 4th September that season and that is being extremely generous. 

If Cooper continues to baffle and not get the results you have to get shot early or you have to face the inevitable consequences which will be relegation. 

1 hour ago, Tom12345 said:

By the way, as you said, why is this not offside? We were never shown how the line was drawn! 

From this angle, Justin with his leg was still quite far back!

IMG_3134.thumb.jpeg.201f42a9c88da5d28eb1e1c488faf4cc.jpeg

It was a horrendous decision. I don't buy any PL conspiracy though. More an overzealous VAR official trying to be a cleverclogs and showing he can think outside the obvious. Who was it btw? Someone inexperienced and trying to show off? 

As Strider says, see out that dodgy 3/4 mins after a goal and we get all three points in all probability. Crowd turns, players start to get frustrated. It's not our day mindset creeps in. Our confidence grows. 

• Like 1

Do we hang on more than any other team, like ever? 

We've done it even since the Martin O'Neil days. Countless managers and players and game evolution, we seem to perennially lob on the ol' third centre back and surrender midfield. Even in the FA Cup final..and it NEVER works. Like EVER. Even in the Cup final it didn't. 

Edit; Even in the championship last season after comfortable outplaying the oppo for 80 mins, we'd end up hanging on. There was a surreal amount of late goals last season for a team at the top

Edited by Paninistickers

33 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

You're better than that. 

It doesn't really matter if he's better than that though does it. 

If you want views you have to prod the plebs with over the top rhetoric. 

Hopefully he'll get recognised for the content eventually and won't need too. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Lako42 said:

It doesn't really matter if he's better than that though does it. 

If you want views you have to prod the plebs with over the top rhetoric. 

Hopefully he'll get recognised for the content eventually and won't need too. 

That's true; live and learn etc.

However, when people say they use content titles for 'clickbait', it sounds as if the actual content isn't going to be genuine (but not in this case, of course).

2 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Fair comment and i will keep that in mind for next time, especially on here.

I can tell you that so far compared to the last video I put out, this one already has a ton more views and comments, which sadly indicates that click-baiting works. But it has been my intention to try and be more of a classier type of content creator so I will keep that in mind. At least take some solace in the fact that the thumbnail wasn't Steve Cooper wetting the bed, which I'm not going to lie, did cross my mind!

Thanks for replying and comments and keep up your great posts and analysis. 

Edited by Cadno'r Cymoedd
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Groby_Blue said:

Excellent analysis, thank you. 

After the match I was messaging a F***t supporting mate and he said that whenever forest were winning,  Cooper would tell them to sit back and hold on - which they rarely did, and he'd always make bizarre late subs which also never worked. 

And he's doing the same thing here, so if we think and hope that Cooper will learn from these decisions and make adjustments for them, history suggests otherwise. 

Winning away from home needs a cool head and clever game mangament to see a game out and hold on to the result and I'm not sure Cooper has got that in him at the moment.  

This is the most frustrating thing. He claimed in his interviews after signing with us that he's been studying in his time off and learning from his weaknesses, but if that is the case, he's clearly not very good at identifying weaknesses.

• Like 4

I'm afraid I found it very hard to take the analysis seriously with a title like that. There were some decent points, but having looked back over the match thread it seems your personal bias has got in the way from the moment you've sat down to write. Perhaps some people are a little too wed to the idea that Enzo was a once-in-a-lifetime tactical luminary for their own good, and that Cooper scrambling around to put points on the board is unworthy of similar levels of reasoned, respectful evaluation. Well done, of course, if you've picked up clicks for sensationalising the debate, so long as you bear in mind that it's not particularly helpful, and neither does it reflect well on someone who purports to be a tactical analyst.

There are a lot of experts on here who were sure that the manager was making schoolboy errors in his in-match decisions. To me, and with the benefit of hindsight, I'd agree that they were wrong. It's true, the analysis here sensibly questions our change of shape. Did everyone know their distances? Were we worrying too much about what was happening in the centre of the play, rather than picking up those full backs who'd been switching the ball to our detriment all game long?

But I, like many of these self-same people, thought he'd also got the line-up badly wrong. And it turns out he didn't. So can't the armchair analysts give him proportionate credit for what he got right as well as what this god-awful 'coward' got wrong: The part we didn't agree with, and were incorrect over, as well as the part where we were equally pessimistic and turned out to be right?

After all, on paper, we picked up a very decent point, given that we're a newly promoted side playing away from home. With that in mind - and hoping dearly that we don't create a 'Megson 2007 Moment' where when our zeal to get rid of one manager effectively leaves the next boss with precious little chance of success - isn't it time for people to be a bit more realistic in their expectations?

• Like 1

Reat article and genuinely interested in your opinion

I know you state he changed to a 5-3-2 later in the game but as I noticed in both this and the villa game it's almost like he is starting with one as well.

This was probably more notice le in the villa game than the Palace one but its almost like he is playing Justin as a 3rd CB and the back 5 being set up as 

VK( wing back), Feas, okoli, Justin, fatawu/mavadidi (playing really deep as wing backs)

Then 3 DMs skip, Winks, ndidi

And vardy and ayew up front

Not sure if you noticed this too? But it's almost like the wingers are playing so deep they are almost wing backs

• Like 1

The big problem I think you have with starting that team is that even if you go ahead, what do you do? You can't really go like for like with subs, you can't just do nothing because they'll be absolutely spent (Ayew, Vardy especially), but you can't really stick attacking subs on either. I'd have probably gone Buonanotte, Reid or El Khannouss for Ndidi and kept the shape as I think that probably gives you the best chance of going 1-3 up and really killing it off.

Coady was individually at fault for their goal but 5-4-1 with that many defensive heads on the pitch. It's absolutely ridiculous, it doesn't work. It's why the original line up was still in fact wrong for me - despite going 0-2 up.