Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

Spiders

14 hours ago, jgtuk said:

We have a massive disconnect between “us” and “them” when it comes to wildlife. The world around us is alien - most people can’t even identify common trees, plants or basic animals. 
Being scared of flying insects, spiders, bats etc. is absolutely ridiculous and a learned behaviour and is probably a partial cause of the general wildlife decline we’re experiencing. The latest butterfly count has just been released and the results are not good. 

I know people who can't identify a blackbird.

It's literally a black bird. (Unless it's female or juvenile of course.)

There's people who don't know what the common or garden birds they see every day are.

"Look, there's a dunnock."

"Oh, I've never seen one of those!"

"Yes, you have, you really have, like practically every day you've stepped outside."

Edited by Trav Le Bleu
  • Like 1

With reference to the earlier story about the Australian builder being bitten on his knob by a black widow spider in a portaloo on two separate occasions, does anyone know if that species does generally attack the penis? 

I'm guessing not because with 2000 black widow bites in Australia annually, I'd have thought that if a high proportion of these were on the cock we'd hear more about it, or maybe it's got to the point it's so endemic it's just not seen as a big deal anymore.

As usual it's me that has to try and find out the facts

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Feeding spiders. :thumbup:

13 hours ago, Wymsey said:

I often wonder what are the point of flies, ie. what's their actual purpose?

Flies are one of the greatest contributors to pollination too. 

21 hours ago, jgtuk said:

But they are relatively easy fears to overcome, as I mentioned earlier, the fear is mostly learned behaviour as we all know spiders are harmless. 

I think a lot of 'irrational' fears like spiders, storms or flying awaken some kind of genetic memory within humans. Like our body is telling us this is a bad situation for us to be in. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bovril said:

I think a lot of 'irrational' fears like spiders, storms or flying awaken some kind of genetic memory within humans. Like our body is telling us this is a bad situation for us to be in. 

Like my fear of being caught up in a match day thread 

• Haha 1

There are venomous spiders in Africa, so I would imagine that the inbuilt dislike of even harmless spiders was selected for amongst our hominid forbears on that continent.

Much the same way that chimps that have never seen a snake will be scared of a rubber snake.

Edited by Vacamion
I spelled spiders as spuders
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, bovril said:

People will associate fear of flying with the fact that if the plan crashes you're dead. If you face a spider, what are the consequences? Unless you are in an exotic part of the world, absolute nothing!