Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SkidsFox

Arsenal (A) Sept 28 15.00

57 minutes ago, Gamble92 said:

I thought against Everton he looked like one of our better players. Admittedly not saying much. But he keeps the ball very well and gets us further up field. Usually to win a free kick. I can see why Cooper rates him so much. I think he's perfect for a scrap, which I couldn't say about the more glamorous names we had last time we were in the Premier League. 

Honestly though do you really think the bloke is required as a starter for us? 

I can live with Bobby Reid on a free to fill out the squad, and bring the exact same assets as Ayew to the table, but I can’t find anyway to justify signing them both, starting at least one of them in every game so far, and spending transfer money on either of them.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, StanSP said:

'we want to play exciting football'. 

Play the right players then and it'll happen. 

We have exciting players just left sitting on the bench for majority of matches, or all in some cases. Fatawu and Ricardo are better than Ayew and Justin when it comes to 'excitement'. 

This. 

He can talk for another 20 pages, saying all the right things but what he is saying is not being backed up at the most fundamental level with team selection. 

Seems so obvious to every one but him which is the biggest mystery. 

• Like 2

It has to be stubborness. It's the only answer. Players and fans are getting on his back and he doesn't want to be seen changing things to save face.

It's the only explanation I can think of.

It's funny he talks about great leadership being about being strong when things are bad but that strength is listening to others and admitting you're wrong first. 

Not looking forward to this at all. Sport only works as a concept when there is a genuine prospect of any result at the end of the day. In this game the most we can hope for is not being totally embarrassed. Let's hope we improve on the 0.02 xG that we managed against these on the last occasion we met them under Rodgers. But I'm not confident that we will, given the way Cooper will set up. 

1 minute ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Not looking forward to this at all. Sport only works as a concept when there is a genuine prospect of any result at the end of the day. In this game the most we can hope for is not being totally embarrassed. Let's hope we improve on the 0.02 xG that we managed against these on the last occasion we met them under Rodgers. But I'm not confident that we will, given the way Cooper will set up. 

I think he'll set us up so we keep them down to 3 or below but it'll come down to whether the players are looking to get him sacked. All subconsciously obviously, but against Everton it looked that way. 

The boxing equivalent of Usyk vs a bloke down the pub who’s had a few pints and is getting lairy. Sure we might get a lucky punch in, but the odds are stacked on us getting a good thrashing. Fancy them for a couple from corners, then it’s about keeping it respectable unfortunately.

Mads

Ricardo

Faes

Okoli

Justin

Winks

Skipp

Ndidi

Fatawu

Mavididi

Ayew

Let Ayew play through the middle, battle for scraps and win the odd free kick. After 60 minutes switch him out for Vards if the game hasn’t gone by that point, which I fully expect it will have. Sit in deep and let Fatawu and Mavididi carry the threat on the break. 

I have no issues about being pragmatic in fixtures like this, as long as there is a game plan to hurt them if we have the opportunity

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Big_Nige said:

Mads

Ricardo

Faes

Okoli

Justin

Winks

Skipp

Ndidi

Fatawu

Mavididi

Ayew

Let Ayew play through the middle, battle for scraps and win the odd free kick. After 60 minutes switch him out for Vards if the game hasn’t gone by that point, which I fully expect it will have. Sit in deep and let Fatawu and Mavididi carry the threat on the break. 

I have no issues about being pragmatic in fixtures like this, as long as there is a game plan to hurt them if we have the opportunity

The problem with Ayew is whatever role he plays he just hogs the ball and falls over.  I’ve not seen anything otherwise from him so far. Against Palace when he should’ve been subbed, I remember him picking the ball up on the right wing, turning inwards and running all the way to the left wing and losing the ball by falling over to try and win a foul.  That move could be a description of his career. 

I just see him as weakening those around him.  He won’t bring the wingers and attackers into play and he won’t turn half chances into goals like Vardy can. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Collymore said:

I think he'll set us up so we keep them down to 3 or below but it'll come down to whether the players are looking to get him sacked. All subconsciously obviously, but against Everton it looked that way. 

So setting us up exactly as every other game. I’m expecting the subs to be the same.  Single like for like subs with no change to tactics and that’s 15 mins after Arteta has brought 3 on at the same time. 

3 minutes ago, Richmondfox said:

The problem with Ayew is whatever role he plays he just hogs the ball and falls over.  I’ve not seen anything otherwise from him so far. Against Palace when he should’ve been subbed, I remember him picking the ball up on the right wing, turning inwards and running all the way to the left wing and losing the ball by falling over to try and win a foul.  That move could be a description of his career. 

I just see him as weakening those around him.  He won’t bring the wingers and attackers into play and he won’t turn half chances into goals like Vardy can. 

Ayew is one of those players like Shane Long when he was at Southampton, where you scratch your head and wonder how on earth he can be considered premiership standard.  I think he has something like 30 odd goals in over 250 appearances, which is shocking for a striker/winger.  

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Richmondfox said:

The fact I’m advocating Ayew to start is actually a bit depressing, and I agree with what you’re saying. But for all his faults he’s a pest to play against, the ball sticks to him and while yes he doesn’t always release it as quick as he should, he’ll draw free kicks. 

I’m clutching at straws, the only way we get anything out of this game is by using a bit of the dark arts. Keep it tight for an hour, defend and scrap, then bring on Vardy when Arsenal are committing more and more bodies forward. if Vardys starts and his race is run by then I wouldn’t want Edouard or Ayew near any half chance late in the game

• Like 1