Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SkidsFox

Arsenal (A) Sept 28 15.00

32 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Should just play Fatawu as that high full back shouldn't they and Bounanotte as the RW that plays centrally. Would be far too radical though.

He did try that against Shrewsbury in pre-season, but it didn't work too well.

There's literally no reason to change the system to go the way Cooper did. On paper it should make you better on transition, but we look worse! Justin has been caught out numerous times pushing up to attack when playing this way.

• Like 1

Here's my match preview. I expect us to park the bus, if Cooper was brave (lmao) he could try and replicate what Atalanta did and go man-for-man against Arsenal. With some of the players we have (Ndidi, Ayew, Justin), I think there's an argument for it working. Warnock did it with Huddersfield against us last season and it almost worked. It of course carries risk, but so does sitting with a 541 hoping to hold out...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Happy Fox said:

He talks a good game but in reality he cannot walk the walk. We lose on Saturday he has to go.

Don’t imagine the axe would fall after losing away to Arsenal, would need to be a loss of biblical proportions you would imagine.

20 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Correct, which is truly insane. Especially when the one fullback we have that could actually play that way doesn't feature in the league.

We don't have a single fullback who can play that role effectively; Ricardo doesn't have enough physically.

It only makes sense to deploy that system if your standout player is a beast of an attacking fullback.

He's picking a formation which side lines 1 out of our 2 most creative players.

Scandalous.

20 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Should just play Fatawu as that high full back shouldn't they and Bounanotte as the RW that plays centrally. Would be far too radical though.

Antonio Conte managed to make it work with Victor Moses.

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Gazza M said:

Need to try and find a way to hold the ball up the pitch for as long as possible so the ball isn't just coming back after clearing it away each time. For that reason I think Ayew will start again because he can do that a bit. 

This has whats disappointed me most so far about Ayew. For the most 0art he's looked weak given his supposed prowess at thus, he's also barely got near a man to close down either. Looks several weeks off full fitness which surely isn't the case.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

He’s not going to get sacked after a loss at Arsenal, no matter how brutal it is. And we might just need the goal difference at the end of the season. We’ll fight them hard on Saturday and lose narrowly. Cooper will get his run of winnable games to prove himself. The rest is up to him. 

First balanced and reasonable take I've seen on here in months. 

I don't agree that it's delusions of grandeur from the likes of TALKSHITE because we have always had that condescending view of our club to keep us in our place since the title win. But there definitely needs to be more balance and a realisation that this hasn't been the worst start in the world. I got told the Walsall game didn't matter in the Alves thread when everyone said to lump him and all the other youngsters in even if we lose, so I'm not judging a 0-0 with ****ing Soumare playing either. 

All that said, if we don't win in that run of games after Arsenal even I won't be able to defend him and it will be quite clearly time to go. I think he will win 2 of them though. Just hope one is the scum. 

28 minutes ago, FosseSpark said:

this is our best team

Hermansen

Justin Faes Okoli

Ricardo Winks Skipp Kristiansen

Fatawu Vardy Mavididi

Dump JJ and put a proper centre half in there that can position himself and not gift the ball to the opposition every 5 minutes and you may be onto something?  Vestergaard isn't doing much lately and he can pass to his own players too!

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

This has whats disappointed me most so far about Ayew. For the most 0art he's looked weak given his supposed prowess at thus, he's also barely got near a man to close down either. Looks several weeks off full fitness which surely isn't the case.

I thought against Everton he looked like one of our better players. Admittedly not saying much. But he keeps the ball very well and gets us further up field. Usually to win a free kick. I can see why Cooper rates him so much. I think he's perfect for a scrap, which I couldn't say about the more glamorous names we had last time we were in the Premier League. 

1 hour ago, ClaphamFox said:

He’s not going to get sacked after a loss at Arsenal, no matter how brutal it is. And we might just need the goal difference at the end of the season. We’ll fight them hard on Saturday and lose narrowly. Cooper will get his run of winnable games to prove himself. The rest is up to him. 

Haha, I admire your optimism, it’s going to be a bloodbath…… 6-0 at the very least. 

Cooper won’t win a single game with us, he is done in my opinion, it’s just a case of when he goes, not if. 

14 minutes ago, Gamble92 said:

I thought against Everton he looked like one of our better players. Admittedly not saying much. But he keeps the ball very well and gets us further up field. Usually to win a free kick. I can see why Cooper rates him so much. I think he's perfect for a scrap, which I couldn't say about the more glamorous names we had last time we were in the Premier League. 

It was Everton I was particularly unimpressed with him. Was marginally better vs Palace. 1st half vs Everton he was brushed off the ball twice very easily and he was constantly nowhere near any Everton player when they got on the ball.

He got involved a bit more 2nd half and that control and shot over the top was almost Yakubuesque vs Derby but if ever a performance didn't warrant the full 90 when the bench options had pace to attack a 39 year old out of position it was last weekend. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Here's my match preview. I expect us to park the bus, if Cooper was brave (lmao) he could try and replicate what Atalanta did and go man-for-man against Arsenal. With some of the players we have (Ndidi, Ayew, Justin), I think there's an argument for it working. Warnock did it with Huddersfield against us last season and it almost worked. It of course carries risk, but so does sitting with a 541 hoping to hold out...

If we sit in we'll get pumped. We're too prone to errors in the back line and the players for whatever reason don't seem to have the ability to transition like they did last season.

I fear we'll see the 9 dropping deeper and deeper to try and get a sniff, and just be plain outplayed in the middle.

Not that we wouldn't get pumped if we started our young pacy wingers and tried to take it to them, but at least we might have a chance of scoring.

The silver lining is if we go down by 6 or 7, maybe Cooper will get his P45 after we lose at home to Bournemouth.

Last season we were all waiting for things to click and us utterly demolish someone. Right now it's waiting for a decent side to properly put us to the sword.