Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxy tiler

Tabletop wargames

10 minutes ago, foxy tiler said:

Just wondering if anyone plays any table top wargames or paints and builds models? Started around four years ago as a way to get my kids off tech and discovered how therapeutic it can be. Just wondering if any others enjoy the hobby.

THE SIMPSONS TRIVIA ON THE BIG SCREEN | Facebook

Chaos Space Marines...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

X-wing - recently discontinued and abandoned.

I have loads of boardgames and I have started painting a few of the miniatures. The cyclists in Flame Rouge and the firefighters in Flash Point so far. Next project is the ships in Black Fleet.

I bought Risk Legacy years ago and looks like I might get round to it soon (needs a regular group of players to commit to 15 games).

• Like 1

13 hours ago, foxy tiler said:

Just wondering if anyone plays any table top wargames or paints and builds models? Started around four years ago as a way to get my kids off tech and discovered how therapeutic it can be. Just wondering if any others enjoy the hobby.

Nerd!

I play Blood Bowl, used to play WHFB/40k as a kid, and Necromunda more recently but don't have the attention span for long games anymore. So many excellent board games now I'd rather spent time playing.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

X-wing - recently discontinued and abandoned.

I have loads of boardgames and I have started painting a few of the miniatures. The cyclists in Flame Rouge and the firefighters in Flash Point so far. Next project is the ships in Black Fleet.

I bought Risk Legacy years ago and looks like I might get round to it soon (needs a regular group of players to commit to 15 games).

People are still playing 2.0 though, quite a few fan-made resources out there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, danny. said:

People are still playing 2.0 though, quite a few fan-made resources out there.

Aye, I have 3 epic ships (Raider, C-roc and Gozanti) and looking to use the epic battles set to do a huge game with 4-6 players.

Could be chaos.

5 hours ago, danny. said:

Nerd!

I play Blood Bowl, used to play WHFB/40k as a kid, and Necromunda more recently but don't have the attention span for long games anymore. So many excellent board games now I'd rather spent time playing.

I'm looking at a skirmish game called the barons war....no more than 15/20 models each side. Nice models for it as well.

On 23/09/2024 at 11:22, danny. said:

Nerd!

Would be interested to see what Blood Bowl teams you play with. As a big American football/board game/sports logos fan, Blood Bowl is right in my sweet spot! I had the 2nd edition as a teenager & painted quite a few teams. Although probably played more Dungeonbowl as was easier to play with my brother - quicker, more chaotic and less strategic

I hated the 3rd version when it came out though. Bigger squares meant passing template was smaller, Stupid turnover rules so you couldn't do anything, changing some of the teams, and I was moving on with life by then anyway.

But then in about 2009, I discovered the Cyanide computer game, so did get my head around the new rules (and found they were actually much better), and enjoyed designing teams and played a lot of campaigns against the computer trying out the different races. 

But I gather there was another refresh 2 or 3 years ago with tweaked rules? I've been meaning to read up on them and see what the computer game situation is. I'm a bit reluctant if they are planning on continually making changes to the game every couple of years. Would like to introduce the physical game to my kids, but quite expensive if they don't take to it.

(Appreciate this is probably more board game than tabletop gaming, but I never had the patience to paint a whole army, and it was expensive and boring to do that number of the same race, whereas a team was a good number of players to do and then move on. Also, the rule books went on and on, and every type of unit had its own rules which just looked overly complex. Condensing it down to a board made it much more accessible).

And as it happens my kids had the Simpsons "Homer Goes to College" episode on TV on Sunday... Nerd!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Golden Fox said:

Would be interested to see what Blood Bowl teams you play with. As a big American football/board game/sports logos fan, Blood Bowl is right in my sweet spot! I had the 2nd edition as a teenager & painted quite a few teams. Although probably played more Dungeonbowl as was easier to play with my brother - quicker, more chaotic and less strategic

I hated the 3rd version when it came out though. Bigger squares meant passing template was smaller, Stupid turnover rules so you couldn't do anything, changing some of the teams, and I was moving on with life by then anyway.

But then in about 2009, I discovered the Cyanide computer game, so did get my head around the new rules (and found they were actually much better), and enjoyed designing teams and played a lot of campaigns against the computer trying out the different races. 

But I gather there was another refresh 2 or 3 years ago with tweaked rules? I've been meaning to read up on them and see what the computer game situation is. I'm a bit reluctant if they are planning on continually making changes to the game every couple of years. Would like to introduce the physical game to my kids, but quite expensive if they don't take to it.

(Appreciate this is probably more board game than tabletop gaming, but I never had the patience to paint a whole army, and it was expensive and boring to do that number of the same race, whereas a team was a good number of players to do and then move on. Also, the rule books went on and on, and every type of unit had its own rules which just looked overly complex. Condensing it down to a board made it much more accessible).

And as it happens my kids had the Simpsons "Homer Goes to College" episode on TV on Sunday... Nerd!

Ah the turnover mechanic is the best thing about the game! Makes it so infuriating/brilliant.

There is BB3 out now which mirrors the current rules but it's not been popular, mainly because it's a horrible buggy mess still and the interface is awful, so it's kind of killed the online scene compared to BB2 unfortunately.

The tabletop scene is really thriving though, the last World Cup last year had over 2000 people there!

Nerdddddds!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, danny. said:

Ah the turnover mechanic is the best thing about the game! Makes it so infuriating/brilliant.

There is BB3 out now which mirrors the current rules but it's not been popular, mainly because it's a horrible buggy mess still and the interface is awful, so it's kind of killed the online scene compared to BB2 unfortunately.

The tabletop scene is really thriving though, the last World Cup last year had over 2000 people there!

Nerdddddds!

The other thing I hated was the idea of rerolling dice. Completely alien to everything I'd played before. It felt like cheating and against the essense of a board game... But linking the turnover mechanism and rerolls meant it needed a lot more thought and risk management, and you could control the really unucky rolls, (to some extent!) so agree that it actually what made the game, and I really regretted not persevering with the 3rd edition at the time! 

Does sound like interest has exploded since I last looked in on the game as the tweaked rules came out so I'll look in on it again. Might even put up with Blood Bowl 3 even if its bad just to learn those new rules.

On 24/09/2024 at 22:35, Golden Fox said:

The other thing I hated was the idea of rerolling dice. Completely alien to everything I'd played before. It felt like cheating and against the essense of a board game... But linking the turnover mechanism and rerolls meant it needed a lot more thought and risk management, and you could control the really unucky rolls, (to some extent!) so agree that it actually what made the game, and I really regretted not persevering with the 3rd edition at the time! 

Does sound like interest has exploded since I last looked in on the game as the tweaked rules came out so I'll look in on it again. Might even put up with Blood Bowl 3 even if its bad just to learn those new rules.

The rerolling of dice is quite common in modern games to provide more control and less the pure randomness of a single roll. Older games such as Monopoly you were completely at the mercy of the dice role and just a passenger in many ways. Besides which almost no one I know plays Monopoly properly anyway.