Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Betting Thread

closing a few accounts now, it's all gone a bit wrong since cheltenham. had an absolute belter the day of that england game the other week but lost most of that and my cheltenham profit in the last two weeks or so. on stupid shit too like fvcking virtual horses or american racing just out of boredom, deposit 5 quid deposit 5 quid deposit 10 quid all of a sudden there's half a day's work gone in 20 minutes on nothing lol. not losing what i can't afford etc just pissed off losing either what i've earnt or what i've won in the past. 

gonna leave myself betfair and betfair alone, for their exchange odds. other than that trip the shop for an acca or two, where i'm always too scared to lose real money haha. 

closing a few accounts now, it's all gone a bit wrong since cheltenham. had an absolute belter the day of that england game the other week but lost most of that and my cheltenham profit in the last two weeks or so. on stupid shit too like fvcking virtual horses or american racing just out of boredom, deposit 5 quid deposit 5 quid deposit 10 quid all of a sudden there's half a day's work gone in 20 minutes on nothing lol. not losing what i can't afford etc just pissed off losing either what i've earnt or what i've won in the past. 

gonna leave myself betfair and betfair alone, for their exchange odds. other than that trip the shop for an acca or two, where i'm always too scared to lose real money haha. 

This is the situation I was in.

Still only got 2 accounts open but closed about 4 or 5 about a month ago (Just after Cheltenham), done alot better since, whether that's coincidence or because i've cut back abit I don't know but going back to basics is definetly no bad thing.

Like you say going to the shop is much better because it's real money whereas online you don't see it like that, it's just a game. The online game really does have alot to answer for, it is too easy to deposit, I know you can put limits on and everything but you can also take those limits off a deposit 'just' £5 or 'just' £10 more, too easy. The bookie is in your pocket, in your house, down the pub, with you everywhere. Scary.

Yes you can have self control, and I wouldn't say i've got an addictive personality or even am addicted to gambling but the key word you have used is boredom, that word really does sum it up - That said I have never and will never bet on any virtual stuff! lol (Well I have but that was because I was given a free bet to use on a virtual race)

This is the situation I was in.

Still only got 2 accounts open but closed about 4 or 5 about a month ago (Just after Cheltenham), done alot better since, whether that's coincidence or because i've cut back abit I don't know but going back to basics is definetly no bad thing.

Like you say going to the shop is much better because it's real money whereas online you don't see it like that, it's just a game. The online game really does have alot to answer for, it is too easy to deposit, I know you can put limits on and everything but you can also take those limits off a deposit 'just' £5 or 'just' £10 more, too easy. The bookie is in your pocket, in your house, down the pub, with you everywhere. Scary.

Yes you can have self control, and I wouldn't say i've got an addictive personality or even am addicted to gambling but the key word you have used is boredom, that word really does sum it up - That said I have never and will never bet on any virtual stuff! lol (Well I have but that was because I was given a free bet to use on a virtual race)

This is definitely it, boredom is my biggest issue with gambling, I've decided after the grand national all of my online accounts are going and I'll make the trip instore from then on

haha yeah, on betfair i've barred myself out of everything except the sports betting and the exchange so no more stupid things like 2 in the morning roulette etc. 

like you say it's the apps, the easiness of it on the pc and that. all i have to do is type "p" into the searchbar at the top of google chrome and i'm signed into paddy power and it's asking me to deposit lol. i've still got money, got savings and am never short of a quid or two to buy a round when out or get some milk in or pay my season ticket and all that like i just don't enjoy losing. it's just ridic how easy and quick it can be though, like i'll be watching something on tele and then there will be a 3 min advert and in that time i'll get bored. so get my phone out, all the apps are lit up, deposit £15, lose it & there's still adverts on the tele (probably fvcking ray telling me to give bet365 even more money lol!)

it remembers all your card details, it literally takes about three clicks of my thumb to give betvictor £20 or something and by the time you know it, £5 e/w on something then a tenner on something else and you're depositing again. just looked through my bank and it's just page after page of -£5 "pp online" or the like, with a depressingly small amount of +£100s back from them like it used to be haha. 

always wondered how much i'd be up or down in my lifetime of about 3 years betting. i know my betfair account is like £100 down, know i've opened a few like ladbrokes and a few smaller ones just to get the matched deposit and rinsed them for a few hundred then never returned. reckon my paddpower account is a disgrace though. probably a few hundred quid down over the years but it's been fun :D 

This is definitely it, boredom is my biggest issue with gambling, I've decided after the grand national all of my online accounts are going and I'll make the trip instore from then on

yeah i've got a load of masters and national bets on or inplay so will wait til saturday/sunday night and then close my paddypower one. ticked off betvictor, coral & 365 so far, although i barely ever use either of the last two anyway. 

I am gonna try and be strict with myself over the summer though, I've mentioned many times how shit I am with flat racing, that along with not alot of football during the summer I am gonna try and have a few months break. Gonna be hard. I'm not saying i'm gonna stop all together during the summer, might have ago on some of the big meetings, but not half as often as I do.

As soon as any outstanding bets are settled I'll remove my payment details from my accounts, get my misses to change my passwords to random things and delete all of the gambling apps from my phone, probably the best way to do it, over summer I'll hardly bet because I don't really like horse racing as much as football and all the major leagues finish so that will be a welcome break from gambling. 

I just counted and I have 6 different bookmakers apps on my phone which would defeat the point of limits because a £10 limit on each still means I could deposit £60 a week, all of which I can deposit money within about 15 seconds, it really is too easy to gamble money and the bookies make it feel like a harmless game, it's no wonder people get addicted and start gambling on obscure leagues etc. because the accessibility makes it really way too easy.

I know odds are worse in the actual bookies but I used to get more winners that way as I went for lower risk bets e.g. £5 returning £25 instead of always putting another team or two to bump up the returns, it's not got to the point where financially I'm struggling, far from that situation but it isn't healthy if that makes sense? It just isn't a nice habit to check certain apps every few hours looking for a few teams I could put a fiver on, I've had that feeling of when you lose you need to try and chase the loss and it is a horrible feeling in all honesty, I'm glad I've realised it now before it became so much of a problem like with some people

Edited by zak_lcfc

Guest Col city fan

The only way I can do it is to usually bet small. That way, when I win I still enjoy winning but when I lose I lose not an awful lot.

The doing it is more important to me than the winning lots of dosh. Don't get me wrong, I'm well chuffed when I do have a bigger win, but I invariably put it all back on again. Bet small, enjoy betting, win small or lose small is my safest way of not getting carried away.

The only way I can do it is to usually bet small. That way, when I win I still enjoy winning but when I lose I lose not an awful lot.

The doing it is more important to me than the winning lots of dosh. Don't get me wrong, I'm well chuffed when I do have a bigger win, but I invariably put it all back on again. Bet small, enjoy betting, win small or lose small is my safest way of not getting carried away.

Totally agree with that. My biggest downfall is looking at inplay stats. Watching a team dominating then once you've backed them they go & concede. If your betting big do your home work.

Guest Col city fan

Totally agree with that. My biggest downfall is looking at inplay stats. Watching a team dominating then once you've backed them they go & concede. If your betting big do your home work.

lol

The times I do that is unreal...

For some reason, the team dominating the game gets worse AS SOON as I've laid my bet on them..

Personally had a great time betting on the world cup, then went on an absolute heater from around november to jan, then withdrew a load and left myself x amount which I lost. Then it has been the whole deposit lose cycle for a bit nothing serious but still a shame.

Tonight:

GFC Ajaccio -1

Troyes -1

Paris FC -1

FC Oss -1

Monaco -1

Bournemouth -1

£1 returns £2.2K

Tonight:

GFC Ajaccio -1

Troyes -1

Paris FC -1

FC Oss -1

Monaco -1

Bournemouth -1

£1 returns £2.2K

Looks good.

So good I quoted it twice!

Edited by filbertway

went asda before so did my national bets in shop on the way home. druids nephew @ 14/1 & balthazar king @ 10/1. £2.50 e/w. got £4 win on rocky creek @ 10s and £2.50 e/w on spring heeled @ 25/1 from a few weeks ago, too. £19 down the drain no doubt :D 

also when there i put £4 on overs @ fulham, btts @ monaco & bournemouth to win. looks shit.