Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Betting Thread

No job any more. Used to work as a trader/compiler for a couple of big betting firms. One was based in Channel Islands, the other up North. Got depressed with work and asked for a sabbatical which was refused so I jacked job in to take a career break/sabbatical - had a good start betting wise and didnt look back at the time. I struggle mentally with the swings and often crave stability in my life. Genuinely concerned I'd struggle to get back into a proper working environment.

Never had any set plan like that. Just started with a betting bank and would bet a certain % of it based on confidence and how much bookie in question would let me have on, or whatever I deemed suitable if it's on exchange. Aimed to make 2k a month to start with and these days I'm just happy to cover living expenses. In the early days I used to buy a lot of peoples betting identities because I can't really get on properly in my own name but people are hard work and in the main untrustworthy so that had some drawbacks.

It's not an exciting life really. I have a lot of freedom in terms of not having to get up for work at a certain time or get downtrodden by a boss but it has plenty of drawbacks. There's no financial security or fail safe. Technically I could go completely skint at any time if I'm not careful. People often either look down their nose at me or accuse me of lying when I tell them what I do. Nobody seems to take me seriously in life. Incredible amount of jealousy about too which is odd given I hate my life mostly.

It's definitely not a permanent existence.

Yeah, you're literally embracing an addiction to make a living, very dangerous. I suppose at least you acknowledge that fact. I've never seen anyone bet so big on such big odds. £700 ish on two bets around evens I think it was? I've had some big bets before, I'd be looking at 1/4 if i was betting that big. But then I've never won £40k in a week so what do I know lol.

No job any more. Used to work as a trader/compiler for a couple of big betting firms. One was based in Channel Islands, the other up North. Got depressed with work and asked for a sabbatical which was refused so I jacked job in to take a career break/sabbatical - had a good start betting wise and didnt look back at the time. I struggle mentally with the swings and often crave stability in my life. Genuinely concerned I'd struggle to get back into a proper working environment.

Never had any set plan like that. Just started with a betting bank and would bet a certain % of it based on confidence and how much bookie in question would let me have on, or whatever I deemed suitable if it's on exchange. Aimed to make 2k a month to start with and these days I'm just happy to cover living expenses. In the early days I used to buy a lot of peoples betting identities because I can't really get on properly in my own name but people are hard work and in the main untrustworthy so that had some drawbacks.

It's not an exciting life really. I have a lot of freedom in terms of not having to get up for work at a certain time or get downtrodden by a boss but it has plenty of drawbacks. There's no financial security or fail safe. Technically I could go completely skint at any time if I'm not careful. People often either look down their nose at me or accuse me of lying when I tell them what I do. Nobody seems to take me seriously in life. Incredible amount of jealousy about too which is odd given I hate my life mostly.

It's definitely not a permanent existence.

If you sometimes hate it then perhaps time for s change? The swings of running good and bad must be very hard to take. Wouldn't a normal job bring stability?

Wins!

I have taken the 50 odd quid out to cover the stake plus some profit, now continuing with the £100

Bet 11 Frankfurt v Bayern to win

100 returns 120

Wins!

I have taken the 50 odd quid out to cover the stake plus some profit, now continuing with the £100

Bet 11 Frankfurt v Bayern to win

100 returns 120

Yeah, you're literally embracing an addiction to make a living, very dangerous. I suppose at least you acknowledge that fact. I've never seen anyone bet so big on such big odds. £700 ish on two bets around evens I think it was? I've had some big bets before, I'd be looking at 1/4 if i was betting that big. But then I've never won £40k in a week so what do I know lol.

Yeah I think the thing is I know I have a problem and have very little intention of stopping so have just had to make it work as best I can for me. The alternative (assuming I dont force myself to stop) is to try and turn it into small and recreational betting like most people enjoy but I'm not sure I'd be able to do that. I have shit social skills and no degree so finding decent work isn't going to be easy if I do go back into employment - will just have to start at the bottom somewhere and work up. 

Back to betting a sec - A large majority my betting is based on the perception of value. If something is 4/1 and I make it 5/2 I will back it even if I don't think it will win because in the long run backing things at bigger prices than they should be will make you good money - if you are relatively accurate in your own pricing. Like everyone I have throwaway bets though which a lot of thought doesn't go into.. accas for eg. A more disciplined gambler would eradicate such things all together.

If you sometimes hate it then perhaps time for s change? The swings of running good and bad must be very hard to take. Wouldn't a normal job bring stability?

Yeah it probably is. Normality and stability often seems like a nice idea when things are going badly. 

Guest Col city fan

Fascinating few pages there shanetko. Cheers buddy.

:thumbup:

I've often thought it all comes down to having bollox...literally saying to oneself 'I'm chucking a grand at that and if it loses I have to take it on the chin' type thing.

Fascinating few pages there shanetko. Cheers buddy.

:thumbup:

I've often thought it all comes down to having bollox...literally saying to oneself 'I'm chucking a grand at that and if it loses I have to take it on the chin' type thing.

Any time.

Yeah there is that. Very hard to make it pay if paralyzed by fear as you can be too conservative in your decision making and miss opportunities.. however on the flip side sometimes I wish I could be a little more wary and restrained. It's about balance like with most things in life.

Any time.

Yeah there is that. Very hard to make it pay if paralyzed by fear as you can be too conservative in your decision making and miss opportunities.. however on the flip side sometimes I wish I could be a little more wary and restrained. It's about balance like with most things in life.

I can't gamble properly because there's always a tennis match at 4 in the morning in China that I can piss away my winnings on betting on individual points because I can't stop myself when I'm using an online account, and then when I go into a bookies to place a bet I can win a few days in a row or a few weeks and then I'll think I'll just put my change in the FOBT, change becomes notes and notes become everything I've won and more. Horrible habit that I wish I could do like most on here do and just have the odd footie bet.

had an awful day on the horses here, was on a 2nd fav that was miles clear and still pulling, was going to win by 15/20 lengths and fell at the last hurdle, was on an even money fav that got done in a photo by a 33/1 shot, had the first two of an e/w treble win, just need a place for a decent return, a win for a great one, third horse came fourth. wounded. 

need the fav in this next one in ireland to save the day at the end of an acca. 4/7 fav, could cash out now. might take a bit out just in case, can't trust nuttin these days. 

I can't gamble properly because there's always a tennis match at 4 in the morning in China that I can piss away my winnings on betting on individual points because I can't stop myself when I'm using an online account, and then when I go into a bookies to place a bet I can win a few days in a row or a few weeks and then I'll think I'll just put my change in the FOBT, change becomes notes and notes become everything I've won and more. Horrible habit that I wish I could do like most on here do and just have the odd footie bet.

Sounds like you have a serious lack of self control when it comes to gambling. I cam empathise with that. Do you set any deposit limits on your online accounts? 

Sounds like you have a serious lack of self control when it comes to gambling. I cam empathise with that. Do you set any deposit limits on your online accounts?

Self excluded from pretty much all of them now, I've only got a coral account with a £20 a week limit on it, My main problem is once I start losing I try and chase it, I can build up a pot for weeks and then lose two or three in a row and I lose my head.

also @@Finnegan how much are new zealand better than australia? loads? 

tomorrow i have a few bets, was gonna add new zealand as a banker but wasn't actually sure just know they're all blacks and good and that. 

sheff wed/millwall/schalke/monaco @ 13/1. 

hull/leics/west am/burnley @ 25/1. 

millwall/wigan/bury/tranmere/plymouth @ 20/1. 

city 2-1 & man city 4-0 @ 150/1. 

so new zealand added to, for example, that top bet boosts it from 12 or 13/1 to nearly 20s. what we saying finno. 

Edited by ScouseFox

Had an over 1.5 treble, one French, one Dutch, one Irish, changed my mind at the last second on the French one after looking again at it and replaced it with another Dutch (lowering the odds). Notification comes through, goal in the first thirty seconds in the French game. Wow.

Guest Col city fan

Not had a bet all week and just watched..so many bets I would have had wouldn't have come in.

I decided to knock it on the head for a bit when last weekend I had a run of 14 (that's 14) losses on the bounce. All small bets but to get not a single win in 14 separate bets was just potty. That's not about 'bad betting'. That's bad luck.

I'll prob have a little go again tomorrow.

Edited by Col city fan

also @@Finnegan how much are new zealand better than australia? loads?

tomorrow i have a few bets, was gonna add new zealand as a banker but wasn't actually sure just know they're all blacks and good and that.

sheff wed/millwall/schalke/monaco @ 13/1.

hull/leics/west am/burnley @ 25/1.

millwall/wigan/bury/tranmere/plymouth @ 20/1.

city 2-1 & man city 4-0 @ 150/1.

so new zealand added to, for example, that top bet boosts it from 12 or 13/1 to nearly 20s. what we saying finno.

I wouldn't add them, it's one of them things where they should win, but if anyone can beat them it's the Aussies.

I wouldn't add them, it's one of them things where they should win, but if anyone can beat them it's the Aussies.

not much value @ 2/5 or 4/9 then? like i said not a massive follower just hoped they were certs and could boost an acca or two. might be a bit more cautious then. 

horror day just about saved, but now a horror night. second second second second in a photo second second chose the wrong one of two got first and third in a forecast. good job it's halloween tomorrow ey cos it's a proper nightmare.

Had an over 1.5 treble, one French, one Dutch, one Irish, changed my mind at the last second on the French one after looking again at it and replaced it with another Dutch (lowering the odds). Notification comes through, goal in the first thirty seconds in the French game. Wow.

I'm one goal away (in the Irish game) from a win whilst the French game actually remains 0-1 in the 80th minute. Maybe it's a lucky weekend.

Guest Col city fan

I'm one goal away (in the Irish game) from a win whilst the French game actually remains 0-1 in the 80th minute. Maybe it's a lucky weekend.

Which game?