Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Betting Thread

Guest Col city fan

I don't even know what to say anymore.

Do you use cash out, Dan?

How the game went yesterday, it looked like there'd be more goals. I think I'd have gotten out at 3-1 up.

Had saints, watford, spurs 20/1 nice

Wish I had the bottle to put Southampton on. I always talk myself out of betting against the big clubs even though I knew Southampton would get something at Old Trafford yesterday.

Wish I had the bottle to put Southampton on. I always talk myself out of betting against the big clubs even though I knew Southampton would get something at Old Trafford yesterday.

Yeah it was one that I added to my betslip saw the odds so knew I had to do or otherwise I would've been kicking myself. Only had a fiver on though.

does anyone with more knowledge than me wanna explain cheltenham's price tonight to me? 21/10 (and drifting, massively, was about 6/4 this morning) at home against a team from a league below? 

cheltenham's form in their last 21 games is;

13 wins, 8 draws and 1 defeat, which was to a team from a higher division in the FA cup. their home form shows 6 wins in their last 7, drawing the other. 

oxford city, their opponents, are 27 league places lower and have form of 2 wins, 2 draws and 1 defeat. but are even money favourites to go to cheltenham, top of the league above, and win?

has the whole cheltenham team died? or is this the most ridiculous price that anyone has ever given on anything? 

does anyone with more knowledge than me wanna explain cheltenham's price tonight to me? 21/10 (and drifting, massively, was about 6/4 this morning) at home against a team from a league below?

cheltenham's form in their last 21 games is;

13 wins, 8 draws and 1 defeat, which was to a team from a higher division in the FA cup. their home form shows 6 wins in their last 7, drawing the other.

oxford city, their opponents, are 27 league places lower and have form of 2 wins, 2 draws and 1 defeat. but are even money favourites to go to cheltenham, top of the league above, and win?

has the whole cheltenham team died? or is this the most ridiculous price that anyone has ever given on anything?

I've just read an article about this:

Cheltenham are playing "second year scholars" in their game against Oxford City. They are playing up to 8 to see if they earn professional contracts. In the first game against Oxford, 5 started and two more came from the bench.

http://www.gloucestershireecho.co.uk/Cheltenham-Town-NEWS-VIDEO-Opportunity-knocks/story-28599286-detail/story.html

Edited by HowardsBulletHeader

I've just read an article about this:

Cheltenham are playing "second year scholars" in their game against Oxford City. They are playing up to 8 to see if they earn professional contracts. In the first game against Oxford, 5 started and two more came from the bench.

http://www.gloucestershireecho.co.uk/Cheltenham-Town-NEWS-VIDEO-Opportunity-knocks/story-28599286-detail/story.html

haha wtf is a second year scholar and why play them now. 

also if they managed a draw away with loads of them in then i can't see why they'd be such a big price at home. 

but yeah, swerve that. interesting though. 

haha wtf is a second year scholar and why play them now.

also if they managed a draw away with loads of them in then i can't see why they'd be such a big price at home.

but yeah, swerve that. interesting though.

When I saw your write up I was fuming because I had literally just put my bet on for tonight and didn't spot the FA Trophy games...

A quick Google made me feel a little better though. Could still be worth a little punt, like you say 2-2 in the first game and the rest will be first team players you would imagine.

Another one just let me down had Leyton, Burton, Forest green, Woking (woking lost)

I think im just going to stick to singles now no matter what the return is.

Had Stoke @ 19/4 - win

Stoke to win either half @ 7/4 - win

Barnsley to win @ 21/10 - win

Burton to win @ 9/4 - win

Sheff Utd to win - loss

BTTS in Morcombe game @ 8/11 - won

Leyon Orient 8/11 - won

Forest Green 7/5 - won

Woking - loss.

Forest or draw @ 2/7- win

so 2 out of 10 losses 8 wins, the 2 losses ****ed all those bets... wheres if I bet singles only I would of won 8 out 2 leading to a nice profit with that value.

Edited by whoareyaaa

so 2 out of 10 losses 8 wins, the 2 losses ****ed all those bets... wheres if I bet singles only I would of won 8 out 2 leading to a nice profit with that value.

I think singles are really the only way forward to try and make a profit long-term from betting. It can be difficult enough to predict one winner in a football match/horse race etc. and to then find a bet that wins and is value (outside the bookie's over-round) is even more difficult. To do that with accumulators long-term is nigh on impossible! That's why they're a dream for bookmakers. The more bets you add to an accumulator the more you're compounding their over-round. With singles you obviously won't get big wins as you might occasionally get with accumulators but long-term you're more likely to make a profit. If you're able to keep a record of your bets too (total amount staked, profit/loss, yield etc) you'll be able to see the difference. It's a bit time consuming to keep a record and not the most interesting past time to have, but I think it really helps you to look at your betting in a different light. Obviously if it's just a bit of fun and nothing too serious, accumulators can probably make it a little more entertaining!

I think singles are really the only way forward to try and make a profit long-term from betting. It can be difficult enough to predict one winner in a football match/horse race etc. and to then find a bet that wins and is value (outside the bookie's over-round) is even more difficult. To do that with accumulators long-term is nigh on impossible! That's why they're a dream for bookmakers. The more bets you add to an accumulator the more you're compounding their over-round. With singles you obviously won't get big wins as you might occasionally get with accumulators but long-term you're more likely to make a profit. If you're able to keep a record of your bets too (total amount staked, profit/loss, yield etc) you'll be able to see the difference. It's a bit time consuming to keep a record and not the most interesting past time to have, but I think it really helps you to look at your betting in a different light. Obviously if it's just a bit of fun and nothing too serious, accumulators can probably make it a little more entertaining!

I think your last bit highlights it for me- it's entertainment for me. I put my acca on because I'm not willing to put a large enough stake down on a few singles and because winning a single doesn't give me the same buzz that an acca win does.

If I'm close and I've got £100+ to come if my acca holds out, I'm excited.

If my single is close near full time and I'm set to win £6.25, I couldn't really care less.

thanks for the input I think you are right in what your saying, the only way to start betting singles for me is with a large enough balance at the start i.e £500 as I do enjoy the entertainment value but obviously I'm betting to make a profit.