Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Betting Thread

Personally Dan/Col, I have had a rough time with betting this year, so I have reformed what I do.

I believe in this thread I actually said something along the lines of "the enjoyment for me is backing an acca that wins 250 quid", but that changed for me this year when I was losing so regularly due to the likelihood of the larger teams screwing up being more than ever. Now don't get me wrong, I only bet £5 per bet, never any more so that if I lose then consistently it never harms me too badly. But to be honest, I'd always eventually get something decent back, like a £200+ acca rolls in. This season it never happened and it clicked, stop betting on daft leagues that you know nothing about and stop putting so many teams in.

This made me turn to trebles, occasionally if value is light, four folds. I have won so much more regularly since mid Jan than I ever have before. Sure my £5 doesn't turn into anything huge like it used to fairly irregularly and the same buzz isn't there, but it does turn into £25-£80 more regularly and its still enjoyable to win, no matter the amount. That's what I've found.

It is partly luck, but it isn't as much luck as you seemingly both attribute to it. You want to find value, there's no value in backing Man City at 2/11 to beat Villa and that's where your risk comes in. It's not unlucky if Man City go on to lose, personally I think that's a stupid bet as there's no value in such an odds on favourite and there's no "luck" element there. I backed Wigan at 8/11 at the weekend, at home, playoff places in L1, playing Peterborough who had lost 5 on the spin, Wigan take the lead after 75 mins, concede after 81 & it finishes 1-1. You could say it's bad luck, but really it is just the nature of football.

I don't disagree entirely with what you say, but I did smile at the example you used - I had Wigan to beat Peterborough myself.

Along with Sheffield Wednesday (flying, only one home loss) at home to Rotherham (lost all bar two away games) at 8/11, granted, this is a derby and Sheffield Wednesday were missing Forestieri, but even despite that you would have fancied them.

Along with Real Sociedad to beat Levante at home, midtable Real Sociedad at home to bottom side Levante who had picked up 6 points on the road all season.

Along with Southampton to beat Sunderland at home. No real detail, but you would normally back Southampton there.

Not a single one of them winning is ridiculous. I just seem to be on a run where I'm coming across this time and time again.

I'm personally with Col that it is very largely down to luck - but I'm also with Scouse, that even when you lose, there is still the social element of it that makes it quite interesting, even if that is me 99% of the time moaning in here lol

I don't think there's any particular tactic that works with football betting, hence why I'm saying it's luck.

Edited by Dan LCFC

I think if you have an in depth knowledge of both teams you will more often than not pick the right team.

Most people just look at previous results/league tables as a gauge rather than team news, individual player stats, weather and fixtures around the fixture you are betting on.

Sky Bet enchanced tonight is decent Madrid, Wolfsburg and Middlesbrough at 4/1

I'm avoiding this due to boro letting me down away from home most times I bet.

So you are probably safe tonight.

I fancy. Madrid. Wolfsburg, Arsenal and Burnley.

Can't decide to risk it for a boost to my Cheltenham pot or leave it alone.

someone gave me a free fiver that had to be used this week and i bloody went and won a bet didn't i guys. 

wolfsburg, real, btts in bristol rovers/dons & acc stanley/pompey @ 13/2. woo hoo. 

now back to cheltenham form studying. watching the weather with such high intensity my days it's that time. 

Guest Col city fan

Over 1.5;

Cardiff v Leeds

Fulham v Burnley

Huddersfield v Reading

QPR v Derby

Wolves v Bristol City

£10 returned £51.

Always maintained that betting is entirely about research, knowledge and skill.

lol

Well done Dan!

I was so close to not getting that one on as well. A mix of being called for tea, laptop doing updates and betfair on my phone not working made it tense. Three fairly late goals there as well. Well happy with that. Well overdue.

Early-ish shout value wise. Athletico Bilbao to beat Valencia is 8/11- 5/6 in places. I know they are 3-0 up after the first leg but with Bilbao in such good form I would be expecting 1/2. On that with BTTS in the Chelsea Vs PSG game to bolster the Cheltenham fund.

Early-ish shout value wise. Athletico Bilbao to beat Valencia is 8/11- 5/6 in places. I know they are 3-0 up after the first leg but with Bilbao in such good form I would be expecting 1/2. On that with BTTS in the Chelsea Vs PSG game to bolster the Cheltenham fund.

It's the first leg tomorrow mate! But I'm with you I fancy Bilbao and all!