Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Betting Thread

No mate, what happened?

Some idiot bought one of those computer bots which are supposed to scan betfair odds and alert the backer to any percentage bets/lays which cannot lose and therefore lock your profit it. For those who are unaware of this, it is possible to lay/back every runner in a field and not lose if the percentage on that market is over/under 100%.

Anyway, this person did not know his market and therefore did not realise that the 140% percentage showing in the First Goalscorer market of the Carling Cup Final was not totally what it seemed. He was not aware that it included named players who, if they didn't play, would become void bets. He layed every player again and again because his fancy computer bot kept telling him he could not lose.

He compounded this error by posting this on a forum and, before long, there was a stampede on that market. Only when the reality dawned about the void players did the penny start to drop that there were many punters heavily exposed and were about to lose their shirts. To make it worse Betfair's account exposure limits for each punter did not click into action until the players were voided. Only then did they see what an almighty hole they had dug for themselves. Many emptied their accounts and ran for cover.

If anyone is interested in this story I highly recommend you settle down with a cappuccino and read the links below. It is like watching the film Titanic, knowing what is going to happen and reading these punters walking into a disaster. Read how their smugness became sheer panic.

This is why Betfair have suspended the First Goalscorer markets at the moment. They have lost a fortune as well.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=386063

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=386241

Edited by l444ry

Ended £150 up on the day....I choose races I bet on

I only bet on The full Irish card go in pretty big on mares and fillies Handicaps and chases.

I stay away from novice hurdles, selling and maidens (unless the favourite is a filly or a mare and i may go in a little)

Also if they look like winning then ill try and minimise my losses in running

Ended £150 up on the day....I choose races I bet on

I only bet on The full Irish card go in pretty big on mares and fillies Handicaps and chases.

I stay away from novice hurdles, selling and maidens (unless the favourite is a filly or a mare and i may go in a little)

Also if they look like winning then ill try and minimise my losses in running

HHmm Divide yours by 10 and you get my profit for the day :P

Althoguh if blackburn draw tonight I get another £25.

HHmm Divide yours by 10 and you get my profit for the day :P

Althoguh if blackburn draw tonight I get another £25.

Tell you what in the morning i will type the races I will be laying for the day...I wont be touching the All Weather Meeting, the horse may change at time of off depending which is favourite at the time...

Hopefully we can both make profit :thumbup:

Tell you what in the morning i will type the races I will be laying for the day...I wont be touching the All Weather Meeting, the horse may change at time of off depending which is favourite at the time...

Hopefully we can both make profit :thumbup:

Can do, not that I will be able to do anything till 3:30 anyway :P

I usaully lay a horse that drifted.

There's alot of racing today, my pick of the meetings would be in NAd Al Sheba where Godolphin are bringing out 'Discreet Cat' in a trial run for the Dubai World Cup (The world's richest race for those who don't know) on the 31st of march.

I'm going to be laying him today because Godolphin have been in terrible form over in UAE and he concedes a 7lb penalty to his 15 other rivals!

So my lays for today will be (bare in mind I wont be laying anything over 5/2 on the exchanges)

Where there is no horse listed I will be laying the favourite at time of off and post my results!

Limerick

2:35: Favourite Beat :D @ 5/6

3:05: Favourite Beat @ 2/1 :D

3:35: No bet here favourite is 4/1 on the exchanges - Favourite finished no where!

4:05: Favourite won at 15/8 :cry:

4:35: Favourite Beat laid to a small amount to break even from the 4:05 :D

5:05

Nad Al Sheba

3:15: Mofarij - Won @ 2/5 so not to much lost here!

3:45: Day Pass - Lost @ 9/4 :D

4:45: Best Alibi - Lost @ 5/2 :D

5:15: Discreet Cat

5:50: Best Name

Ludlow

2:40: Favourite Won @ 5/6 :cry:

3:10: Not having a bet here (it's just over 5/2 to big for my betting)The favourite finished no where!

3:40: Favourite won @ 2/1 :cry:

4:10: No bet here Favourite on exchanges was 10/3 and got beat!

Taunton

2:50: Favourite Beat @ 9/4 :D

5:20

Edited by fox123

not the best start £200 down after 1st! lol

onto the next 2:25 Downpatrick lay of Candy girl - to get me money back

I thought I bet big lol!

I had a great day yesterday as I backed something News (I forget its name lol) at 6s in the 335 at Downpatrick and it won at 4s. It won the race last year and was set up for this race and it couldnt have worked out any better if I had planned the race myself. I lost in a couple of poker games in all but the day showed a decent profit of around £150.

Ive not checked on the horses today but I`ll no doubt have a little punt later. Any strong selections out there??

I thought I bet big lol!

I had a great day yesterday as I backed something News (I forget its name lol) at 6s in the 335 at Downpatrick and it won at 4s. It won the race last year and was set up for this race and it couldnt have worked out any better if I had planned the race myself. I lost in a couple of poker games in all but the day showed a decent profit of around £150.

Ive not checked on the horses today but I`ll no doubt have a little punt later. Any strong selections out there??

The 3:35 was the ulster grand national wasn't it?

That horse won pulling a bus if i remember rightly, I stayed away from that race as the betting was to wide!

The 3:35 was the ulster grand national wasn't it?

That horse won pulling a bus if i remember rightly, I stayed away from that race as the betting was to wide!

Yeah thats the one mate. I saw the At the Races show in the morning and they were going on about it and made sure I had some money down. I read the form and everything was pointing to this horse repeating its success. Only two horses had won over the energy sapping distance and mine was one, the other was the top weight horse who faded. Mine cruised around and from an early stage I knew it was going to win. It went from 7s to 4s as well which isnt a bad bit of info in a race that didnt attract much money on anything else.

There's alot of racing today, my pick of the meetings would be in NAd Al Sheba where Godolphin are bringing out 'Discreet Cat' in a trial run for the Dubai World Cup (The world's richest race for those who don't know) on the 31st of march.

I'm going to be laying him today because Godolphin have been in terrible form over in UAE and he concedes a 7lb penalty to his 15 other rivals!

So my lays for today will be (bare in mind I wont be laying anything over 5/2 on the exchanges)

Where there is no horse listed I will be laying the favourite at time of off and post my results!

Limerick

2:35: Favourite Beat :D @ 5/6

3:05: Favourite Beat @ 2/1 :D

3:35: No bet here favourite is 4/1 on the exchanges - Favourite finished no where!

4:05: Favourite won at 15/8 :cry:

4:35: Favourite Beat laid to a small amount to break even from the 4:05 :D

5:05

Nad Al Sheba

3:15: Mofarij - Won @ 2/5 so not to much lost here!

3:45: Day Pass - Lost @ 9/4 :D

4:45: Best Alibi - Lost @ 5/2 :D

5:15: Discreet Cat

5:50: Best Name

Ludlow

2:40: Favourite Won @ 5/6 :cry:

3:10: Not having a bet here (it's just over 5/2 to big for my betting)The favourite finished no where!

3:40: Favourite won @ 2/1 :cry:

4:10: No bet here Favourite on exchanges was 10/3 and got beat!

Taunton

2:50: Favourite Beat @ 9/4 :D

5:20

I layed this to be placed, how did it do.? Got evens on it not to be placed.