Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Betting Thread

It is a very dangerous industry. It's all about managing your money, mind and resisting the urge to go chasing.

I'll always say only bet what you can afford to lose, and if you do lose you can only blame yourself.

Hopefully some people reading Rics post will take a look at the bigger picture.

Get yourself back on your feet Ric, top man.

Good Luck Ric, being brave by holding your hands up and saying all that, hope you can sort yoursef out.

all the best.

Cheers pal, i'm determined to overcome this and live a healthy life.

Good luck with it mate, although without trying to sound a sanctimonious **** - how do you even manage to lose such money?

Although I'm generally quite a poor gambler, I've never really bet anything more than I feel comfortable with doing so and the thought of chasing losses makes me want to wretch. I'm quite lucky in the sense that I'm satisfied to keep sticking on these one pound accys and (very) occasionally one of them comes in.

I honestly couldn't work in a bookies. I was in Ladbrokes on Granby Street a few weeks back at dinner as I had an hour with fvck all else to do, so watched SSN and whatnot, put a couple of accys on but nothing major and in that time, I saw some bloke (who looked like an older Knockaert) lose £600 on the roulette, all at £100 a time. He kept going back up for more £100 codes and he was nearly in tears by the end. Avoided him as I didn't want to be drawn into any of it but I felt sorry for the bloke working there, always have a chat with him about football and was helpful in me applying to work there before I got this job (dodged a bullet IMO, thinking back), yet there he is effectively selling this bloke the license to fvck up his life and although it is a business, it must be pretty hard to watch that, regardless of what you think of that other bloke pissing his money away.

I can't get my head round how anyone can live their life gambling money. Alright doing it when you can afford it but when you're chasing your losses that you need to live on, then it's a dangerous industry.

Truth be told it's roulette and such pathetic games that are my downfall, but it starts with normal bets and then I go chasing my losses on quick outcome games such as roulette or slots. Absolutely life ruining as well because these machines will have your kegs down quicker than a Lithuainian brass. The £2000 I lost last night was all roulette. I did some £100 spins with £10-20 on a number after losing £300 on the football. I lost another £300 very quickly so increased my spins to £250 with £50 on some numbers, I quickly lost the remaining £1200. It was all lost within 5 minutes, not a single spin came in otherwise i'd have walked away in profit and kidded myself it was all ok. I could have gone to Thailand for a month on that, flights included. All gone in less than 5 minutes. This has happened before, about 6 weeks ago I was soon £900 down after just nipping on to my Stan James account for a bet on a horse. I then put £500 more in my account and did a £200 spin with £75 on the split, I won £1350. I quickly withdrew the £1650 and ended up being £250 up. How crazy? How fookin wreckless? I almost needed this sickening loss though to hit rock bottom, it's a shame financially it had to come to that but sadly it seems to be the case with people who have an addiction to something. Until they've reached utter despair and can face up to their problems then they'll lie and kid themselves and continue. Not anymore, this is it. I'm choosing to walk away having lost in excess of £20,000 in the last 5-10 years.

It is a very dangerous industry. It's all about managing your money, mind and resisting the urge to go chasing.

I'll always say only bet what you can afford to lose, and if you do lose you can only blame yourself.

Hopefully some people reading Rics post will take a look at the bigger picture.

Get yourself back on your feet Ric, top man.

Cheers pal, i'll do my best. I shan't succumb to it again.

Good luck Ric. The main thing here is that you've finally accepted how serious it has got and you are willing to do something about it and rectify your addiction. For a lot of people, accepting there's a problem is the hardest step. Hopefully now you've done that and more importantly admitted you want to get therapy is a big step on the so-called road to recovery.

Guess it's a lot to do with will-power, too. Getting your head in the right place and not succumbing to any further gambling desires. I'm sure with the correct help you'll be fine in the future, but neverthelss, good luck and hope you recover in good time.

Good luck Ric. The main thing here is that you've finally accepted how serious it has got and you are willing to do something about it and rectify your addiction. For a lot of people, accepting there's a problem is the hardest step. Hopefully now you've done that and more importantly admitted you want to get therapy is a big step on the so-called road to recovery.

Guess it's a lot to do with will-power, too. Getting your head in the right place and not succumbing to any further gambling desires. I'm sure with the correct help you'll be fine in the future, but neverthelss, good luck and hope you recover in good time.

Cheers mate, much appreciated

Fair play Ric. Good luck booting it out.  :thumbup:

Never easy with all the temptations around these days and the ease that you can place a bet over the internet. 

Cheers mate. Yeah online gambling has absolutely hammered me, it's taken me from recreational gambler to nigh on psychopathic punting at times. It doesn't feel real online, not that thats an excuse. Chances are i'd have got like this anyway, it's time to take action. Nice one pal.

Cheers pal, i'm determined to overcome this and live a healthy life.

Truth be told it's roulette and such pathetic games that are my downfall, but it starts with normal bets and then I go chasing my losses on quick outcome games such as roulette or slots. Absolutely life ruining as well because these machines will have your kegs down quicker than a Lithuainian brass. The £2000 I lost last night was all roulette. I did some £100 spins with £10-20 on a number after losing £300 on the football. I lost another £300 very quickly so increased my spins to £250 with £50 on some numbers, I quickly lost the remaining £1200. It was all lost within 5 minutes, not a single spin came in otherwise i'd have walked away in profit and kidded myself it was all ok. I could have gone to Thailand for a month on that, flights included. All gone in less than 5 minutes. This has happened before, about 6 weeks ago I was soon £900 down after just nipping on to my Stan James account for a bet on a horse. I then put £500 more in my account and did a £200 spin with £75 on the split, I won £1350. I quickly withdrew the £1650 and ended up being £250 up. How crazy? How fookin wreckless? I almost needed this sickening loss though to hit rock bottom, it's a shame financially it had to come to that but sadly it seems to be the case with people who have an addiction to something. Until they've reached utter despair and can face up to their problems then they'll lie and kid themselves and continue. Not anymore, this is it. I'm choosing to walk away having lost in excess of £20,000 in the last 5-10 years.

Cheers pal, i'll do my best. I shan't succumb to it again.

There was a time when I was younger when on payday id go into a bookies and put my wages in the roulette machines (which I think are the problem for 99% of gamblers) I had a real problem and to stop it was the hardest thing I ever did, I don't think I ever lost that much in one go, but then I've never had that much, I now get 20 quid on my william hill account on payday(my wife puts it on for me).

Gambling is a horrible addiction and probably the easiest one to hide, anyway I'm rambling, Good Luck.

I closed my account with SkyBet near the end of last season, not because I was losing (I was just over £600 up thanks to some lucky accys including a jammy £1 10 fold coming in for £622) but because I was spending 2 or 3 (sometimes more) hours most nights playing low stakes blackjack. I was addicted to it but after losing £20 one night when pissed I contacted them and told them to shove it and close my account. I would still be on there if I had not been so pissed.

Best of luck, Ric lad  :thumbup:

...the first thing you should do is change your avatar  :ph34r:

Sounds bad Flair, sure you'll pull through an all that though. I started losing more than I was winning (not by that much but still annoying) so gave up for a month or two, went on holiday with the winnings I'd built up and just casually watched horses or footy, maybe had a bet with a mate "oh a round says Liverpool win here" etc. Closed a few accounts because I was losing track of where it was all going. Soon got back on top of it and I'm sure you will too. Good luck mate. 

For tonight, anyone know anything at all about Wigan's opponents? 

Wow, Good Luck Ric.

Some chilling words.

I'm losing more than i'm winning recently tbh, only small amounts but still they add up, think I could do with a break but I carry on, like I say I only bet relitively small amounts but they still add up that doesn't excuse me.

Well done Ric for taking the first step. Youre gonna be a changed man.

I know you can kick the addiction.

If i catch you in the golf thread, i want to know about your birdies and bogeys from now on!

Cos' I'm a sad cvnt I keep a spreadsheet of betting wins/losses.

Few seasons back made just short of £1k that season mainly just betting £10s and £20s here and there.

Last season down a few hundred. 

This season I'm down already :(lol

Tonights result were bloody awful.

Cos' I'm a sad cvnt I keep a spreadsheet of betting wins/losses.

Few seasons back made just short of £1k that season mainly just betting £10s and £20s here and there.

Last season down a few hundred. 

This season I'm down already :(lol

Tonights result were bloody awful.

Id call that responsible rather than sad

I think most specificaly IN PLAY betting is more dangerous than simply online betting, you just have to not get carried away.

I rigidly bet no more than £5 a week, irrespective of what its on, winning or losing. and some weeks i wont bet at all.

Yeah tonight was a minefield, anyone got a winning accy gotta say fair play.

Loads love a BTTS on a Europa Thursday too but not many of them knocking about either. There's a lot more completely unheard of teams in it this year haha, gonna put it down to that. 

Off to Coventry tomorrow night for the greyhound racing, should be fun :)

Never been before, just had a quick look on my phone to see what dogs are running tomorrow, but can't find anything? Do they announce the dogs on the day or something??

Edited by Tincy

Id call that responsible rather than sad

I think most specificaly IN PLAY betting is more dangerous than simply online betting, you just have to not get carried away.

I rigidly bet no more than £5 a week, irrespective of what its on, winning or losing. and some weeks i wont bet at all.

I stick to that these days (if I win big like I have for the past few weeks, I might put another £5 on an accy). That's why I'm fully backing the SkyBet Free £5 bet club. Stick a relatively good accy with £5 of  your own money, and then whatever winnings I get goes straight in to my bank account and I leave about £10 in my betting account. Then with the free £5 stick it on a really good banker so you get virtually another £5 back in to your account.

Never done in-play. Might start making a spreadsheet of my bets actually. That sounds like a responsible and wise idea!

Hope you get sorted Ric, opened my eyes reading all that. I can see the same thing happening to a friend I know, we've all tried telling him to calm down and even stop but he won't take any notice.

I'm a £25 a Saturday man and £15 in the week, thankfully this season I'm playing with profit I just haven't withdrew anything. Just going to keep playing it, so my stakes have increased.

I think it's very easy to say "bet what you can afford" that's all very easy, it's like what Bert said having the right mind not to go chasing. Not last season the season before, I chased money badly. I lost around £500 in a month and it devastated me, Mrs kicked off the lot. That was the wake up I needed, I know £500 to some isn't a lot of money but I was gutted. After that I sat down with my Mrs, worked out my weekly/monthly money and worked out what was financially ok to bet a week. Not looked back since, will never deposit more than my allowed amount now.

Hope you get yourself sorted Ric, you're a top bloke and an even better bloke for coming out and sharing that with us. Peace!