Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MC Prussian

What are you reading at the moment?

I was toying with the idea of buying a book about World War 2.   I usually prefer fiction apart from autobiographies and am not a highbrow reader so the idea of swimming through a dry non fiction book have been putting me off.   However I took the plunge and bought All Hell Let Loose by Max Hastings.   It has been a good read so far with bitesize accounts of geopolitics that has influenced and shaped the war.   Will consider Max's other works after this as I understand there are other books that go into detail of military campaigns and tactics.

On 15/06/2024 at 18:49, westernpark said:

Any recommendations for a biography of Lord Nelson?

I bought one a couple of years ago and have never read it. Think it's Sword of Albion. You can have it if you want, brand new and unread. 

The most important thing about Nelson of course is that he was Norfolk man, and gloried in being so :cool:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, bovril said:

I bought one a couple of years ago and have never read it. Think it's Sword of Albion. You can have it if you want, brand new and unread. 

The most important thing about Nelson of course is that he was Norfolk man, and gloried in being so :cool:

I am in Norfolk this week, hence my asking! Fancied reading something appropriate to where I am staying. Will go and have a look for the sort of recommendation, tomorrow!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, westernpark said:

I am in Norfolk this week, hence my asking! Fancied reading something appropriate to where I am staying. Will go and have a look for the sort of recommendation, tomorrow!

Where abouts? If you're into history there are not many better counties in England. Not just Nelson but loads of medieval stuff.

2 hours ago, bovril said:

Where abouts? If you're into history there are not many better counties in England. Not just Nelson but loads of medieval stuff.

It is! My grandparents lived here, so I used to come to Norfolk once a month for quite a substantial period of my life. Popped into their old village (North Elmham), visited the old chapel/later castle ruins, which was quite nostalgic. Staying just outside of Cromer. 

16 minutes ago, westernpark said:

It is! My grandparents lived here, so I used to come to Norfolk once a month for quite a substantial period of my life. Popped into their old village (North Elmham), visited the old chapel/later castle ruins, which was quite nostalgic. Staying just outside of Cromer. 

There's not much more historic than North Elham. Seat of the the North Folk's first bishop.

Edited by bovril
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, westernpark said:

Sure it was mentioned in Norman Davies’s history of Europe.

If you haven't seen it already, Beeston Regis near Cromer has a wonderful ruined priory and a medieval church with paintings from just before the reformation. And if you're driving back along the A148 I'd recommend stopping off at Bale to see the 15th century stained glass. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Levant: Splendour and Catastrophe on the Mediterranean: Amazon.co.uk:  Mansel, Philip: 9780719567087: Books

One of the best history books I've read. Draws on an incredible range of primary sources to create a really vivid picture of life in the late 18th early 20th century eastern Mediterranean. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just crossed off a few crime thrillers

All Sinners Bleed by SA Cosby

Mystic River and Small Mercies by Dennis Lehane

All three very good reads. Picked up 'All the Colours of the Dark' by Chris Whitaker to start later today, only time I've ever paid Waterstones prices for a book.