Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MC Prussian

What are you reading at the moment?

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

Outstanding. 420 pages in three days, I couldn’t put it down.

IMG_4696.jpeg

That's how I felt - but I lost shedloads of respect for him when he threw his weight behind Gillian Keegan and blocked me when I asked him why.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Izzy said:

Outstanding. 420 pages in three days, I couldn’t put it down.

IMG_4696.jpeg

Have you read his book about how to put a ship together?

It's riveting.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Daggers said:

That's how I felt - but I lost shedloads of respect for him when he threw his weight behind Gillian Keegan and blocked me when I asked him why.

He's always had a weird crush on her.

• Like 1

I had intented to keep posting in this thread when i started reading regularly, but i havent, but its been a year since i moved house and starting reading every night, i wanted to post my top 5 books i read this year. alongside my staple of michael connolly, lee child and clive cussler, these are the books that stood out the most. 

in no particular order. 

1. image.jpeg.c6eb0e797653b3a9c8551b2806d0f177.jpeg

a story about a down on his luck man who wants to restore his boat and be left alone. i wasnt expecting much from this one but it gripped me from the start, it was incredibly well written , the characters were fun and the story didnt go at all how i expected it to. which is always good

2. Magician 
image.thumb.jpeg.08338e9219156b8d3601efbd875d362b.jpeg

Fantasy story about a young man who becomes a magicians apprentice just before a war with aliens happens. the book spans 10 years and is onyl the first in the trilogy, the rest i am yet to read. excellent story, characters and very deep lore

3. Airframe
image.jpeg.e074a4ae7a1838dda029b00c621950ce.jpeg

This story is about a woman who has to investigate what caused a plane crash. a simple premise that caught me off guard in how engrossing it was from start to finish. it managed to be nerdy without being boring at all. 

4. The End of the world running club

image.jpeg.d264fdf1216adfad6b00f1d7705d82da.jpeg

exactly what it says on the tin. after being separated from his family, a man has to run the length of england in order to find them. funny and well written with some fantastic characters too

5.  The Raw Shark Texts

image.jpeg.bf358395b1031241a4abb1511d690fb5.jpeg

i think they called this meta literature and its a proper mind ****. man wakes up with no memory and has to find himself and work out why this happened. wi cant really say too much without spoiling it but it was another page turner. and after finishing i went online to learn more about it and discovered alternate endings and an entire reddit community dedicated to discovering the lost texts that are hidden in the internet by the author. the "sharkives" 

anyway, maybe theres something here you might want to read if you're looking for something new

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Absolutely fascinating insight into Afghanistan in the late 70s and 80s.  Written by the Pakistani brigadier who ran the military intelligence bureau charged with the supply and coordination of the Mujahideen resistance to Soviet occupation.

Screenshot_20240820_091646_Google.thumb.jpg.532f6a3bacf82f4d6b9a5a9161225776.jpg

Also recommend reading Hopkirk's the Great Game if you're interested in this part of the world or espionage/military history.  

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Beliall said:

I had intented to keep posting in this thread when i started reading regularly, but i havent, but its been a year since i moved house and starting reading every night, i wanted to post my top 5 books i read this year. alongside my staple of michael connolly, lee child and clive cussler, these are the books that stood out the most. 

in no particular order. 

1. image.jpeg.c6eb0e797653b3a9c8551b2806d0f177.jpeg

a story about a down on his luck man who wants to restore his boat and be left alone. i wasnt expecting much from this one but it gripped me from the start, it was incredibly well written , the characters were fun and the story didnt go at all how i expected it to. which is always good

2. Magician 
image.thumb.jpeg.08338e9219156b8d3601efbd875d362b.jpeg

Fantasy story about a young man who becomes a magicians apprentice just before a war with aliens happens. the book spans 10 years and is onyl the first in the trilogy, the rest i am yet to read. excellent story, characters and very deep lore

3. Airframe
image.jpeg.e074a4ae7a1838dda029b00c621950ce.jpeg

This story is about a woman who has to investigate what caused a plane crash. a simple premise that caught me off guard in how engrossing it was from start to finish. it managed to be nerdy without being boring at all. 

4. The End of the world running club

image.jpeg.d264fdf1216adfad6b00f1d7705d82da.jpeg

exactly what it says on the tin. after being separated from his family, a man has to run the length of england in order to find them. funny and well written with some fantastic characters too

5.  The Raw Shark Texts

image.jpeg.bf358395b1031241a4abb1511d690fb5.jpeg

i think they called this meta literature and its a proper mind ****. man wakes up with no memory and has to find himself and work out why this happened. wi cant really say too much without spoiling it but it was another page turner. and after finishing i went online to learn more about it and discovered alternate endings and an entire reddit community dedicated to discovering the lost texts that are hidden in the internet by the author. the "sharkives" 

anyway, maybe theres something here you might want to read if you're looking for something new

I really enjoyed the Raymond Fiest books, I think there's at least 7 set in that universe. There's even an ancient PC game, Betrayal at Krondor, based on these books. Very similar to the early Eldar Scrolls games.

1 hour ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

I really enjoyed the Raymond Fiest books, I think there's at least 7 set in that universe. There's even an ancient PC game, Betrayal at Krondor, based on these books. Very similar to the early Eldar Scrolls games.

oh thats really good to know, thanks Trav. i shall look for the other books and see if i can unearth that game. 

A rags to (embezzled) riches story of an Italian village team who progressed from local leagues to reach the dizzy heights of Serie B in the 1990's.

Joy, disappointment, the mafia, tragedy & intrigue all an integral part of the tale.

The Miracle of Castel Di Sangro

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, boots60 said:

A rags to (embezzled) riches story of an Italian village team who progressed from local leagues to reach the dizzy heights of Serie B in the 1990's.

Joy, disappointment, the mafia, tragedy & intrigue all an integral part of the tale.

The Miracle of Castel Di Sangro

Read this years ago, great book! I took the 'transiberiana d'Italia' train a few years ago, which I thoroughly recommend, and it went though Castel di Sangro. One of my favourite regions in Italy. 

• Like 1

On 14/08/2024 at 20:09, Webbo said:

I can't recommend the Berlin Noir series of books by Philip Kerr enough.

Historical thrillers set in Germany, before, during and after the war.

Another fan here. Very well researched too - although they are fiction books they often have perps who are based on real life characters - and you also get to see how most folk had little choice in their options at the time. Bernie Gunther is a great survivor, and knows enough to fight off enemies whether they be Gestapo heavies, America mobsters or Russian spies. My personal favourite was Field Gray, although it's not possible to enjoy it quite so much on a second read once you know the plot twist.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...