Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

Let's have a films thread.

The last film I watched was the new 2009 Star Trek movie on DVD 10 out of 10 must buy

Do you have one for sale on ebay, then?

"The Times...Best film by far, 5 stars"

"Independant...great watch for all the family"

"Criagadams22...10 out of 10 must buy"

I'm sold!

What clown the other day said There Will Be Blood was the best performance they've ever seen? Surely that's either hyperbole or whoever it was doesn't watch as much quality cinema as they should. It was good, don't get me wrong, very good in fact but it was just Daniel Day Lewis (as much as I like him) being Daniel Day Lewis. Bill the Butcher with a bit more shouting, really.

Decent enough film, though, if a trifle predictable.

Yeah Daniel Day Lewis's bafta award, plus oscar plus broadcast critic awards, plus empire award plus goldern globe award plus screen actor guild award plus many many other awards for his performance dont mean a thing. The critic's job is too watch films and compare performances, but yeah your right they dont watch enough quality cinema.

:frusty:

All these war films being mentioned got me thinking of ones I watched when I was a lad. Can anyone remember 'Nam : Tour Of Duty' the movie? I loved that film but canna find a torrent or link anywhere.

I know it was made into a TV series but I'm trying to find the film that came out first in the late 80's. Anyone know of anywhere to find it? :D It was round about the same time as Platoon I think.

Yeah Daniel Day Lewis's bafta award, plus oscar plus broadcast critic awards, plus empire award plus goldern globe award plus screen actor guild award plus many many other awards for his performance dont mean a thing. The critic's job is too watch films and compare performances, but yeah your right they dont watch enough quality cinema.

Tbh I always think DD Lewis is a bit hammy.

You really are special sometimes.

Lots of people have taken clean sweeps over the years. Lots of people have put in staggering performances, there's usually one every year. Nowhere did I say it wasn't a good performance but it wasn't a groundbreaking piece of incomparable acting that will set a new marker for decades to come.

We've been spoilt for choice in recent years with stunning performances. In immitations of real life persons Hoffman's Capote, Whitaker's Amin, Phoenix's Cash, Penn's Harvey Milk, and Crowe's John Forbes Nash but to name a few. Even portraying original roles DiCap, Peter O'Toole, Mickey Rourke, Don Cheadle and Ben Kingsley have all put in stella performances that received much critical acclaim and that's just over the last decade.

I say again, Daniel Day Lewis' Daniel Plainview was a good piece of acting, sure, but to anounce it the best ever is either serious hyperbole or an opinion spawned of ill exposure to film, surely?

Edited by Finnegan

leon-the-professional-black-and-white.jpg

Get's better and better with every watch.

YES! Awesome film!

Just been to see Avatar - its an excellent piece of film, wasnt sure about the 3D though. First time i've done the 3D before, and I didnt really like it - it just isnt really realistic. It looks like its some kind of 3D beta than they are still working on, and in a few years time maybe it'll be proper - it just all looks like layers to me, set different distances back. Dont get me wrong its clever, but as it is now, it doesnt really do anything for me.

You really are special sometimes.

Lots of people have taken clean sweeps over the years. Lots of people have put in staggering performances, there's usually one every year. Nowhere did I say it wasn't a good performance but it wasn't a groundbreaking piece of incomparable acting that will set a new marker for decades to come.

We've been spoilt for choice in recent years with stunning performances. In immitations of real life persons Hoffman's Capote, Whitaker's Amin, Phoenix's Cash, Penn's Harvey Milk, and Crowe's John Forbes Nash but to name a few. Even portraying original roles DiCap, Peter O'Toole, Mickey Rourke, Don Cheadle and Ben Kingsley have all put in stella performances that received much critical acclaim and that's just over the last decade.

I say again, Daniel Day Lewis' Daniel Plainview was a good piece of acting, sure, but to anounce it the best ever is either serious hyperbole or an opinion spawned of ill exposure to film, surely?

Finners, relax. lol

Remember what the Ronnie actually said?

Possibly the best acting performance I've ever seen.

Subjective views are subjective views. :thumbup:

"There Will Be Blood" is outstanding because it reminds me of the good old days of Hollywood filmmaking from the Fourties and Fifties. Epic pictures with a tragic, yet true storyline, reminiscent of Wilder's "Sunset Boulevard".

Another one that springs to mind:

network_beale.jpg