Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

Let's have a films thread.

Oh look, an overly defensive Christian thinks George Carlin is funny except for when he rips on monotheistic religions.

Oh look, an overly defensive Mod doesn't like anybody saying anything bad about the East or any of his heroes.

I'm not a Christian! Dunno what gave you that idea.

I think Carlin was more intersting than funny. The stuff he says about what religious folk believe just isn't true that's all. He's saying what he (and many others) assume religious people believe. I take the piss out of the man with a beard crap all the time.

I agree with what you say there and I love watching Carlin but that Religion one I think is crap. Is that the one with this speech in it? :

"Religion easily has the greatest ******** story ever told. Think about it. Religion has actually convinced people that there's an invisible man living in the sky who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do. And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever 'til the end of time! But He loves you. He loves you, and He needs money! He always needs money! He's all-powerful, all-perfect, all-knowing, and all-wise, somehow just can't handle money! Religion takes in billions of dollars, they pay no taxes, and they always need a little more. Now, talk about a good ******** story. Holy ****!"

No religious person I know thinks this way (there might be some who think there is a man with a beard in the sky, but not most) so it's not a valid arguement against religion I don't think. That speech is a good description of what non-religious folk believe religion to be though. I can see his point though because I used to think of religion that way.

And if some Christians give money to those mad American money grabbers on TV (if that's what the 'He needs your money' bit means) then that's their own stupid fault because no religious book says give your money to the church or preachers. They only say give your money to the poor or needy (directly).

I like Carlin a lot - he spoke out what a lot of Americans still think, but daren't to say themselves. I wouldn't even call him a comedian, not a comedian in a modern sense who has to be witty and come up with cheesy one-liners. Carlin's smart and his routines got better with age, as he was able to draw from his own experiences.

In fact, he didn't even try to be funny - he just spoke his mind - and THAT made him funny (just like Lenny Bruce). Because most of it is/was true. He ridiculed the ridiculousness of life, political correctness and all (and in this case, religion), and that's why you gotta love him.

Well, I do.

He's dearly missed in today's flat and poor comedy scene.

Edited by Alexei

Saw this yesterday...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNQowwwwYa0

Sequel to the best Superhero movie yet.

Gwen and Scarlett on screen at the same time! :wub:

Not as good as the 1st one, but still very good! Knocks all the Spiderman movies into a cocked hat.

And the geekier amongst you will want to stay until the end of the credits for the teaser!

Edited by Trav Le Bleu

Saw this yesterday...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNQowwwwYa0

Sequel to the best Superhero movie yet.

Gwen and Scarlett on screen at the same time! :wub:

Not as good as the 1st one, but still very good! Knocks all the Spiderman movies into a cocked hat.

And the geekier amongst you will want to stay until the end of the credits for the teaser!

Thats not difficult.

Watched Avatar last night round mates on BR. Seemed like just a technical exercise.

It's pointless watching this film in anything other than a 3D cinema - it's like listening to a match on the radio rather than being there.

It's pointless watching this film in anything other than a 3D cinema - it's like listening to a match on the radio rather than being there.

Indeed - that's a film that is all show and spectacle, and it does it very well, but I think that watching it at home on DVD... it's gonna be crap because then it becomes a rather average CGI film with a seen-it-all-before storyline.

Oh and Mjolnir! (Iron Man 2 end credits reference)

"Is that it?" exclaimed the boys.

"We waited all this time to see a hammer?!"

Yes, boys. Yes we did.

yeah, well the first film you waited till the end to see Nick Fury... well actually Sam L Jacks (cos Sam L Jacks can only do Sam L Jacks - USA's answer to Hugh Grant)

Very psychotic and twisted film by the looks of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wmTv2nqTHo

A tiny part of me wants to see it just to make sense of it all :blink:

Make sense of what? Two hot girls get lost (wow never seen a film like that b4)<, and some german fella turns out to be evil (an evil german....original), he wants to make a human centipede...ok thats a new one on me.

But the clip pretty much tells the whole story.