Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

Let's have a films thread.

Has anyone heard/seen the Radio 1 Favourite Movies top 20... some awful selections in there and only two or three true classics. Clueless? Yes they are, and that's also one of the top 20. I can't seem to find the list anywhere (well done radio 1) but from memory it also includes Slumdog Millionaire - which was good but hardly classic, Sean of the Dead, which isn't even the best Pegg/Frost film and Anchorman.

Now I like Anchorman and it would be in my top 20 comedy films, but what about Life of Brian, Airplane, Naked Gun, Blazing Saddles, Stir Crazy,. The likes of Anchorman come alongside Dodgeball and Ace Ventura, very funny films, but not quite classic.

What is it with young people and their complete disregard of anything done more than 10 years ago.

Oh yeah, it also has The Godfather in it, rather than the Godfather 2, which stinks of "I'm gonna put The Godfather, because everyone says that's good", but they haven't actually watched it.

There's no Indy in the list, no Star Wars, no black and white films that I noticed... it's truly awful!

Edited by Trav Le Bleu

Has anyone heard/seen the Radio 1 Favourite Movies top 20... some awful selections in there and only two or three true classics. Clueless? Yes they are, and that's also one of the top 20. I can't seem to find the list anywhere (well done radio 1) but from memory it also includes Slumdog Millionaire - which was good but hardly classic, Sean of the Dead, which isn't even the best Pegg/Frost film and Anchorman.

Now I like Anchorman and it would be in my top 20 comedy films, but what about Life of Brian, Airplane, Naked Gun, Blazing Saddles, Stir Crazy,. The likes of Anchorman come alongside Dodgeball and Ace Ventura, very funny films, but not quite classic.

What is it with young people and their complete disregard of anything done more than 10 years ago.

Oh yeah, it also has The Godfather in it, rather than the Godfather 2, which stinks of "I'm gonna put The Godfather, because everyone says that's good", but they haven't actually watched it.

There's no Indy in the list, no Star Wars, no black and white films that I noticed... it's truly awful!

sounds bad

re: Leon - watched a few months back, still amazing imo. Better than Taxi Driver which I also watched for the 1st time in a while recently.

re: The Wire - season 2 was my least favourite too but giving up on it would be the biggest mistake of your life!

I agree with the heart of Trav's point but not on Anchorman. I believe it will stand the test of time. It is as iconic and cult to my generation as Airplane's was to it's.

Something is no less brilliant just because it's not twenty years old.

• Like 1

Off to see Paul and get an unlimited pass for Cineworld later.

What's the verdict?

I like everything I've seen from Pegg & Frost so far but I'm really struggling to see myself like 'Paul', the whole alien thing doesn't interest me if i'm honest.

I agree with the heart of Trav's point but not on Anchorman. I believe it will stand the test of time. It is as iconic and cult to my generation as Airplane's was to it's.

Something is no less brilliant just because it's not twenty years old.

Anchorman is a very, very, good film. It probably the funniest film of the last ten years. It was just that to put it in a list that didn't also include Life of Brian, Airplane, Blazing Saddles, etc...

And Purple Ronnie, I know that they're young, it's no excuse. I'd seen tons of old films in my childhood. I love loads of films that were made before I was born.

It annoys the crap out of me! Especially when people go on quiz shows and they get music or films as a subject come up and they go "yeah, I'm the expert on this, I've seen loads of films/listen to music all the time" and they get a question about something from a few decades back and they say, "I don't know that, it was before I was born." Well get this halfwit, the catergory was music or films, not "music/films which have been made in your lifetime."

History teaches us not to make the mistakes of the past.

Anchorman is a very, very, good film. It probably the funniest film of the last ten years. It was just that to put it in a list that didn't also include Life of Brian, Airplane, Blazing Saddles, etc...

And Purple Ronnie, I know that they're young, it's no excuse. I'd seen tons of old films in my childhood. I love loads of films that were made before I was born.

It annoys the crap out of me! Especially when people go on quiz shows and they get music or films as a subject come up and they go "yeah, I'm the expert on this, I've seen loads of films/listen to music all the time" and they get a question about something from a few decades back and they say, "I don't know that, it was before I was born." Well get this halfwit, the catergory was music or films, not "music/films which have been made in your lifetime."

Only gripe I have about this, well music specifically is really needy little kids who listen to old bands just because it's cool to be "like retro and stuff" a la parts of the "it's cool to be a dickhead" song that finnegan posted.

(I might be getting confused but i think that was in this thread)

Especially annoying is 12 year old kids with Nirvana tops on. I'm 20 and I have 3 songs -two which anyone who likes music should know- so I'm not berating an interest in old stuff as such, more just in cases as I said where it's supposed to be cool or revolutionary because you like something old when in fact it's these cases of trying to be different which are the most clichéd.

Back to the film thread....

... not a massive Will Ferrel fan, he certainly gets a bit too much love for me but I watched the other guys a couple nights ago, and it was hilarious. strongly recommend it anyone who hasn't seen it.

Edited by ajthefox

I understand its no excuse but young people are more likely to watch films that come out as they grow up either in the cinema or on sky and are more likely to relate to those characters especially if the film is about youth, anything from the 80's or before will seem unfashionable to them.

I'm with you its like those top 100 albums/songs of all time and some new album/song makes the top 10.

I'm with AJ too, seeing loads of people with ramones t-shirts on, you just know these 16 girls have never heard their records.

I sound like an old fart. :ph34r:

Edited by purpleronnie

They might have watched and enjoyed the likes of Airplane or Monty Python but just not enjoyed them as much, as they're less relevant to their generation.

I'd much rather people voted honestly than pretended to enjoy things that are "classic" purely because they think they should. Like the sheer volume of hipsters my age that claim to love bands like the Beatles whom they most likely never really listen to.

After all, surely the only real measure of greatness in art is the volume of people to whom something appeals. Everything else is purely an individual's opinion.

As others have said, given the demographic of R1 it's somewhat obvious that any list coming from there would appeal to the Smuts' of this world more than, say, the Alexei's or the Phube's (or even myself.)

Edited by Sosban Fach

I understand its no excuse but young people are more likely to watch films that come out as they grow up either in the cinema or on sky and are more likely to relate to those characters especially if the film is about youth, anything from the 80's or before will seem unfashionable to them.

I'm with you its like those top 100 albums/songs of all time and some new album/song makes the top 10.

I'm with AJ too, seeing loads of people with ramones t-shirts on, you just know these 16 girls have never heard their records.

I nearly suggested the Ramones thing as well! One of my mates has one and I did cringe to myself a little but in fairness he actually likes their music and listens to a lot of stuff a little before our time so it's not too bad.

May sound like an old fart but i totally agree with you.

I have a Ramones t-shirt that was brought for me as a stocking-filler-esque present. I cringed a little at first but I do wear it, I like the design to be perfectly honest.

I do appreciate their music and I've got a couple of Ramones records on my CD rack but I wouldn't call myself a fan and they're a classic example of what I've just bemoaned, bands that are fairly middle of the road (regardless of how ground breaking they were at the time) who are held up in ridiculous esteem by today's youth purely because it's trendy to do so.

Edited by Sosban Fach

We are old farts. :P