Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

Let's have a films thread.

There is no anti-English sentiment, most of the silly reviews calling it pro-IRA were written by ridiculous right-wing commentators who hadn't even seen it.

Anyone who's actually seen it will know it's far more damning (and mournful, really) of the Irish republican movement and it's decent in to civil war than it really is of the English. The Black and Tans get portrayed as the violent, oppressive thugs that they were but I'm sorry, you'd have to be the most delusional, jingoist moron to deny that that's an accurate representation.

And the end of the day it's just a very good piece of cinema. I can understand, perhaps, someone cringing at the marginal over-emphasis on leftist politics that was really no way near as dominant as history states (though, if you find that sort of thing irritating then I don't know why you'd be watching a Loach in the first place) but as a telling of Irish treatment at the hands of the British (and subsequent reaction) then I'd say it's fairly fair.

At the end of the day, we as British (and I don't absolve the Welsh of blame any more than the English or Scottish, though perhaps I should!) may have much to be proud of in the Empire, I suppose, but we've much to be ashamed of as well - and that was a distinctly dark era in our history. Shying away from it and denying it really does no favours to anyone.

Edited by Sosban Fach
  • Like 1

There is no anti-English sentiment, most of the silly reviews calling it pro-IRA were written by ridiculous right-wing commentators who hadn't even seen it.

Anyone who's actually seen it will know it's far more damning (and mournful, really) of the Irish republican movement and it's decent in to civil war than it really is of the English. The Black and Tans get portrayed as the violent, oppressive thugs that they were but I'm sorry, you'd have to be the most delusional, jingoist moron to deny that that's an accurate representation.

And the end of the day it's just a very good piece of cinema. I can understand, perhaps, someone cringing at the marginal over-emphasis on leftist politics that was really no way near as dominant as history states (though, if you find that sort of thing irritating then I don't know why you'd be watching a Loach in the first place) but as a telling of Irish treatment at the hands of the British (and subsequent reaction) then I'd say it's fairly fair.

At the end of the day, we as British (and I don't absolve the Welsh of blame any more than the English or Scottish, though perhaps I should!) may have much to be proud of in the Empire, I suppose, but we've much to be ashamed of as well - and that was a distinctly dark era in our history. Shying away from it and denying it really does no favours to anyone.

Phew... You do take life a bit too seriously don't you? :unsure:

Actually I haven't seen it yet, I was just winding you up, sorry.

And even though I do hate lefty politics it would never stop me watching any film... Hey I've even seen "I am Cuba" (Actually really enjoyed it!). And I'm sure I'll get round to watching this... eventually. (Although I've still got 143 films on my 500 list to watch!)

EDIT: Just realised what else Ken Loach did, I watched Kes the other day... Not too bad, a bit far removed from my life but still good. Made me laugh at how the Headmasters speech could be made today, word for word, and it'd still ring true (apart from the caning bit!)

Edited by Phube

Phew... You do take life a bit too seriously don't you? :unsure:

I thought you were the last person that'd consider it taking "life a bit too seriously" to have thoughts about a film that transcend "yeah it was okay," "that bird was fit," "decent fight scenes," et all.

I thought you were the last person that'd consider it taking "life a bit too seriously" to have thoughts about a film that transcend "yeah it was okay," "that bird was fit," "decent fight scenes," et all.

Maybe it's just my reading of your reply, I hate reading thoughts I'm a conversation kinda guy!

But I do apreciate it when people do talk properly about films as you say.

Watched The Town, not bad, definately no paranormal activity 2.

I find it difficult to watch Ben Affleck in a leading role, he just isnt a very good actor. IMO.

I really liked it alot. Thought Ben Affleck did a good job both in the acting and directing.

Quality rumour on IMDb:

Viggo Mortensen is to play General Zod in the new Superman Film! :worship:

Oooh and it'll be Directed by Zack "300, Watchmen" Snyder, produced by Christopher "Batman, Inception" Nolan and written by David S. "Batman, Blade, Flashforward" Goyer! :o

If they norse up Superman again ill be livid. I have no idea what everyone has against Tom Welling being Superman though.

Also that picture for 'Takers' is the worst photoshopped pic ever. They've clearly all never been in the same room as each other.

Watched The Town, not bad, definately no paranormal activity 2.

I find it difficult to watch Ben Affleck in a leading role, he just isnt a very good actor. IMO.

you've obviously not seen Daredevil then! lol