Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

Let's have a films thread.

I take subtitles for granted now, 90% of what I watched through my latter teens and early twenties was either from somewhere on the Asian continent or some wanky black and white French piece, heh.

And on that note, this is a frupping brilliant film:

mc83o7.jpg

I take subtitles for granted now, 90% of what I watched through my latter teens and early twenties was either from somewhere on the Asian continent or some wanky black and white French piece, heh.

And on that note, this is a frupping brilliant film:

mc83o7.jpg

I never really understood why people don't like watching films with subtitles. Never bothered me in the slightest. Plus think of all the amazing films out there that are subtitled that people won't see just because of that fact that it is subtitled.

Edited by MikeyT

I never really understood why people don't like watching films with subtitles. Never bothered me in the slightest. Plus think of all the amazing films out there that are subtitled that people won't see just because of that fact that it is subtitled.

Eh, I can understand it entirely really. I, like a lot of people, thought it'd just be far too much hassle and would detract from the pleasure of being able to watch the whole picture. To be honest, even now when I watch some Cantonese films I'm quite conscious of the fact that they talk so quickly that I'm often reading more than watching.

Of course the truth is that it becomes second nature, largely, by the end of your very first film. I remember seeing Akira at the Phoenix and despite my initial "oh what the fuck, is it all going to be subbed?" I didn't even notice after the first ten minutes.

I love subtitles - I'll even put them on when I'm watching tv.

I loathe dubbing though. We recently bought Come and See but couldn't watch it because it was dubbed rather than subtitled.

I'd much prefer subs to dubbing! I hate dubbing, even in cartoons, Film 4 I'm looking at you!

Although, as mentioned in the 'grinding gears' thread it's 10x worse if there are neither subs or dubs and there are meant to be some... Damn you free "Sophie's Choice" :@

Just watched Due Date. There's a few funny moments i thought, but for the most part, thought it was way over the top and a bit stupid.

Its not as good as Planes,Trains and Automobiles,which it blatantly rips off

I love subtitles - I'll even put them on when I'm watching tv.

I loathe dubbing though. We recently bought Come and See but couldn't watch it because it was dubbed rather than subtitled.

I'd much prefer subs to dubbing! I hate dubbing, even in cartoons, Film 4 I'm looking at you!

Although, as mentioned in the 'grinding gears' thread it's 10x worse if there are neither subs or dubs and there are meant to be some... Damn you free "Sophie's Choice" :@

I think that dubbing works very well in comedy films. Some of the old martial arts films are excellent with the dubbing - Shaolin Temple 1, 2 and 3, and Winners and Sinners are four of my favourite dubbed films of all time. I've seen them all in dubbed and subtitled versions and the dubbed is far better. When the emporor in Shaolin Temple says "bastard" and does that dubbed laugh it's frickin hilarious and even if the rest of the film was crap I would pay just to see that bit!!

Just to plug one of my Youtube vids :D here's a dubbed clip from Winners and Sinners. If anyone likes the look of this movie and decides to download it, make sure you get the dubbed and not subbed version.

This.

For some reason the dubbing actors never seem to capture the emotion of the scene in their voices that is obvious in the native language, but of course needs translating via subtitles.

I have no problem with dubbing in animated films, doesn't bother me at all. I think Disney have done some really good dub tracks for Studio Ghibli's films to be honest.

Cheap English dubs for low budget animes are terrible, though, I concede.

I also agree with Empty, if it's a shit old Kung Fu movie then sometimes having a dubbing track adds to the humour of it. As parodied with "THAT'S A LOT OF NUTS!"

DUDE!! I've just realised that that documentary is about Troll 2.

Troll 2 is da bomb!! :D

i was talking to my brother yesterday about the spate of horrors that came out like Troll,Leprechaun and Rumplestiltskin

I have no problem with dubbing in animated films, doesn't bother me at all. I think Disney have done some really good dub tracks for Studio Ghibli's films to be honest.

I just don't like them... They always sound better in the original voices even Spirited Away (I've seen it with both). Also the words aren't the same as the text which annoys me...