Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

Let's have a films thread.

I just don't like them... They always sound better in the original voices even Spirited Away (I've seen it with both).

Have to disagree. In fact, given I'm reasonably sure you don't speak Japanese I'm left wondering how exactly you could really appreciate the "original" audio track that much at all? It's such a different language in intonation and annunciation that it's difficult to tell what's good and bad voice acting or really appreciate any quality that is there. Which is why, as I said, I do generally prefer listening to the original Japanese if I'm watching a cheaper or less well known animation because you can't really tell if the Japanese cast are woeful where as it's really obvious in American English.

Besides, however screechy Dakota Fanning may be prone to be on occasion, she's got nothing on any young Japanese girl. lol

And yes, I've seen Spirited Away in both. As well as Howl's Moving Castle (which I saw in Japanese in the cinema, if we're measuring nerd e-peens!) and My Neighbour Totor.

Also the words aren't the same as the text which annoys me...

The variations are minuscule and it's really just because the subs are usually a fairly literal translation where as when they're dubbed they'll put it in to more "comfortable" English, which I don't have a problem with. Plus, what they're saying has to actually fit to the lips that are moving as best as you can with an animated film, so that'll sometimes cause a change in scripting.

The last thing I can be accused of being is a Disney fanatic, I much prefer Ghibli, but I do think Disney deserve credit for their voice conversions of Miyazaki and co's work - they've had some terrific voice actors in to do it n'all.

Edited by Sosban Fach

These days dubs are pretty decent. In the early 90s there were a lot of cheap awful dubs. It can vary depending on the dubbing studio, but for the most part studios use actual actors, as opposed to the bad old days when some dubs sounded like they'd just picked up people off the street.

Off the top of my head, not only are the Disney Miyazaki dubs good (Liam Neeson in Ponyo is fantastic :D) , but there's shows like Ghost in the Shell SAC, Cowboy Bebop and Fullmetal Alchemist have dubs that are watchable. Nowadays though, with DVDs allowing people to pick and choose as they like, I don't see the point of all the internet Dub vs Sub flamery.

Have to disagree. In fact, given I'm reasonably sure you don't speak Japanese I'm left wondering how exactly you could really appreciate the "original" audio track that much at all? It's such a different language in intonation and annunciation that it's difficult to tell what's good and bad voice acting or really appreciate any quality that is there. Which is why, as I said, I do generally prefer listening to the original Japanese if I'm watching a cheaper or less well known animation because you can't really tell if the Japanese cast are woeful where as it's really obvious in American English.

Besides, however screechy Dakota Fanning may be prone to be on occasion, she's got nothing on any young Japanese girl. lol

And yes, I've seen Spirited Away in both. As well as Howl's Moving Castle (which I saw in Japanese in the cinema, if we're measuring nerd e-peens!) and My Neighbour Totor.

The variations are minuscule and it's really just because the subs are usually a fairly literal translation where as when they're dubbed they'll put it in to more "comfortable" English, which I don't have a problem with. Plus, what they're saying has to actually fit to the lips that are moving as best as you can with an animated film, so that'll sometimes cause a change in scripting.

The last thing I can be accused of being is a Disney fanatic, I much prefer Ghibli, but I do think Disney deserve credit for their voice conversions of Miyazaki and co's work - they've had some terrific voice actors in to do it n'all.

This is where I completely agree with you ( :o ), but have the exact opposite view!

Just knowing that it's a Japanese production, you'd hope the studio would choose the voises that were right for the part. And therefore how it should sound. And as most Ghibli is as Japanese as it can be (yes I know Howl is Welsh!) in my brain even an average (if it is?) Japanese cast fit's better in the film's world than a brilliant American/British voice.

Eg. Chihiro is a Japanese name, it seems wrong to me the character being American. Or Porco Rosso with Michael Keaton's Batman voice... just didn't work.

But hey that's just my brain.

This is where I completely agree with you ( :o ), but have the exact opposite view!

Just knowing that it's a Japanese production, you'd hope the studio would choose the voises that were right for the part. And therefore how it should sound. And as most Ghibli is as Japanese as it can be (yes I know Howl is Welsh!) in my brain even an average (if it is?) Japanese cast fit's better in the film's world than a brilliant American/British voice.

Eg. Chihiro is a Japanese name, it seems wrong to me the character being American. Or Porco Rosso with Michael Keaton's Batman voice... just didn't work.

But hey that's just my brain.

I do see what you mean, I just think that 99% of Ghibli's films are so far detached from reality that it really makes little difference. In rare examples like My Neighbour Totoro or Spirited Away where you can very clearly place the characters in question in a "real world" time and place, they're either immediately swept from them into the fantastical or they're so culturally isolated that it's largely irrelevant.

And of course, the large part are films like Nausicaa (Toei,) Castle In The Sky, Kiki's Delivery Service, Porco Rosso, etc that are all either set in fantasy or Western settings anyway. You name drop Porco Rosso, but is a Japanese Italian pilot any better than Keaton's Italian pilot?

Edited by Sosban Fach

I do see what you mean, I just think that 99% of Ghibli's films are so far detached from reality that it really makes little difference. In rare examples like My Neighbour Totoro or Spirited Away where you can very clearly place the characters in question in a "real world" time and place, they're either immediately swept from them into the fantastical or they're so culturally isolated that it's largely irrelevant.

And of course, the large part are films like Nausicaa (Toei,) Castle In The Sky, Kiki's Delivery Service, Porco Rosso, etc that are all either set in fantasy or Western settings anyway. You name drop Porco Rosso, but is a Japanese Italian pilot any better than Keaton's Italian pilot?

Not his nationality... his Gruff "BATMAN" voice... just didn't sit well with me for a pig...

My brain, My rules... :D

weirdtwists-the-crying-game-590x350.jpg

How the fook didn't i know? lol

I bet you quite fancied her didn't you? Go on admit it!! :P

Can't wait for this, been getting some brilliant write ups for ages now.

AND JOE FROM ADAM AND JOE DIRECTS IT.

Only reason ill watch this other than Nick Frost - Yes Adam and Joe!

Scott Pilgrim vs The World,not bad- the evil exs' are brilliant tho ! lol

scott-pilgrim-vs-the-world.jpg

****ing love this film.

Scream 4 - very good, nice twist. Hayden Pannetaires hair is stupid. Macauley Culkins brother is good. Emma Roberts is worth a punch in the whiskers.

Four Lions - Funny as ****.

Arthur - Suprisingly funny actually.

Also made the missus watch all 3 Back To The Future flicks as well. 1.21 gigawatts of fun!

Haha. Fair play then. I do appreciate your point, it's a bit like trying to believe Connery is a Lithuanian naval commander.

Connery's accents are legendary.. you leave him alone... he can do anything:

Russian/Scottish

Spanish/Scottish

Irish-American/Scottish

WHY GOD WHY!?!?!?

1. Fast & Furious 5: Rio Heist

Weekend: £5,332,096

Total: £5,332,096

Weeks: 1

£5.3 million!!! Who watches this sh*t!

Makes me :(

Edited by Phube